zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images

Arizona Hang brings new record LOW

Thats right!
    We all met on a beautiful Saturday morning at the trailhead to take the easy hike down to a spot that looked like it would break some of the 20 mph gusts that had been chilling us for the first mile of the hike. A quick glance at the trees off the the right that rested on a low rise would get us far enough from the water and close enough to the surrounding small hillsides to give us some shelter.. any shelter from the blowing wind. We were trying to do the best we could with the knowledge of expected 20 degree lows.

Roadtorque set up the show-stopper.. his custom OES "batman" tarp. With its clean lines, absolutely sick construction, as it sat atop his hammock commanding the landscape - it was voted the best tarp at the site.

Walt and his second-time-hanger son Jacob worked together to get their rigs strung up as we all gave our humble suggestions and compliments on each other's great gear choices.
    After all the rigs were strung up we decided to have an Ange-er-ita and walk on down to the creek for some trout fishing. Wind and brush along the creekbed was a tough scene for the fly rods. I got skunked, after about an hour of casting. Oh well, its all good!

Back at camp we had some good times getting to know each other, talk of knives and hammocks and food and people.. casual stuff but the best stuff there is for sure.. its still amazing how the hangin' community can be so candid and friendly even tho we all come from different walks of life - what a gift it is to call these fellas my friends.

As the darkness started to fall, we cooked amazing meals like Chicken Satay with roasted peppers and onions and tortillas filled with tender and delicious fajita steak and veggies. But it didnt stop there! There were sausage biscuits and Italian Sweet Sausage and more ange-erita's of course.. what a feast and far cry from the usual fare of boring Ramen and Mtn House meals. I could LIVE like this!

After we started to fall out and make our way to the slumber of our hammocks knowing full well that the temps were falling fast.. at about 8 o'clock we thought that the night would be long and cold but at least the wind had died down. Staying under the protection of full sized tarps some of us had pitched in winter mode, it was evident that the cool breeze coming in the end of my rig was not going to warm up anytime soon..

I awoke early right at sunrise to hear Ange exclaim that his fancy wristwatch (suunto?) had a recorded low of 14.6 degrees!
    a NEW record for all of us, beating out my previous 22 degree hang, and possibly the lowest recording on HF this fall...

I was glad to know that my expectations of my winter coat were not even close to the limit of the quilt's capability.. i am quite sure it could easily do a 5-10 degree night without even trying..

also, Ange was pleased to discover that his MR3 which is rated to 15-20 was good and comfy down to below its rating. go JRB!

We all had some good nights rest and decided to pack up around 10 am so we could get to the highlite of our trip home, the lunch provided by the great little American food- dive, the Beeline Cafe in Payson, AZ.
    Having our fill of Melts, Burgers, and fries we all split paths and said our goodbyes.. but there is a feeling in the air that this crew will cross paths again very soon.

thanks to the guys who came out on this hang with me, to have a good time, share stories, share food and drink, and laugh without hesitation.
    Im looking forward to seeing Longbow's photos of the trip. Lets see 'em!

Super hi-fives to Jake, who on his second only hang, did perfect at the blistery cold 14 degrees. Thanks to Roadtorque for making it to the hike, if only for half a day. Thanks to Angelo and Andy and Walt for hangin out with me. Good times, boys. Lets do it again.
    Last edited by te-wa; 11-22-2009 at 20:47.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds fantastic!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a few pics of people's gear that I took during "rest and relaxation" time that I will post tomorrow along with some comments. I'm glad to hear y'all stayed warm through the night. Sounds like dinner was pretty darn good!

Longbow, you and your son might be interested to know that I crossed paths with two elk on the way out...but no bear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah Gear
    Insulation
    Warbonnet 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Looking forward to seeing pics of the Batman tarp!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There are some pics already up on another thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=10326&page=10
    I will post some here in a bit as this seems to be the more proper place

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The first pic is the inside view of my "batcave"/"batman tarp" it is a huge tarp which provides a lot of room even with a bridge hammock. Here are some additional pics of the tarp that I took at earlier this year http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9720. I must admit that I really like the coverage it provides even if it is a bit heavier than some of the other options out there. Brian at OES does an excellent job and some of the other hangers really liked the quality of that tarp. That is my JRB BMBH hammock (without the spreader bars) and my new JRB MW4UQ. (By the way guys I put the quilt on the scale and it was 29 oz so it looks like I got the right quilt).

The second pic is Longbow's clark NX250 (on the right) and his son's Warbonnet traveler (on the left). Longbow was kind enough to allow me to try out his clark for a few minutes. I have always been a fan of clark hammocks based on the look and design but have never laid in one. I was really surprised with a few things on the clark.

1. It looked very small in real life compared to the pics on the internet. I recall asking Longbow how tall he was because I was not sure I was going to fit in it (I'm 6'2''). When i crawled into the hammock sure enough there was plenty of space for me and it felt, to me, much bigger than it had previously looked. I would, however, suggest to anyone considering a clark hammock to go with the 150/250 series over the 100/200 series. Although I have never seen a 100/200 series I would think the poles used to "open up" the 150/250 would be well worth the money.

2. I was very surprised at how flat the lay was. This was one of the major "put offs" for me ever buying a clark. I dont like how banana'ed I sleep in a ENO doublenest and figured I would be "V" shaped laying in the shorter, narrower clark. The clark was very nice and had a flatter lay than my ENO, almost comparable to my JRB bridge. Unfortunately for my wallet I think the nx 250 is on my wish list. It's build quality was top notch and I have always liked the idea of a weathershield.

Longbow had the clark underquilt which looked like a nice addition to the already ingenious clark design. Below the clark UQ, longbow had a MW3UQ. I'm guessing he slept really warm?

Longbow, I was wondering how much a tarp would really be needed in AZ spring/summer/fall climates with the weathershield clark provides? My thought is that minus the weight of the tarp it doesn't put the clark system much heavier than most other hammocks with a tarp.

The third picture is drewboy's set up. An luxurious roomy ENO double with down-all-around. He had his new MW4UQ on its maiden voyage with a no-sniveler (I believe) on top. I really liked how he set his tarp up in porch mode. I think I will be giving that a try so I dont have to crawl through the tarp ends all day long.

The fourth picture is Pisanodc's set up. A blackbird (i believe) wrapped in his new MW3UQ. Very nice set up. It was cool seeing his speers winter tarp right next to drewboy's JRB 11x10.

Last but not least is Te-wa's set up. All I can say is check out all that down in that winter coat! This thing is unreal, it made the MW4UQ I was carrying seem like a summer quilt. I have never seen any of Te-wa's quilts before this trip so let me make a plug for him. I am very impressed. If you are looking for a 2/3 uq I would highly recommend his product. I have no doubt that the winter coat is the warmest quilt that I have seen.

Overall, and despite the fact I was unable to spend the night, I had a great time. Everyone was very friendly. I immediately went home and ordered a new piece of gear (JRB/Jeff's pack cover/gear hammock), thanks for that temptation drewboy! I'm hoping to meet up with all-y'all again for some more hammock hangin' hikin'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Arizona Hang

Hi guys, I posted some pictures and a few comments over on the thread we used to set up the trip. Drewboy also provided comments there. Sorry, I don't know how to give you a link. But, it's the Arizona Part Deux thread.

It was great meeting everyone. Both Jacob and I really felt honored to be included in the Arizona group hangout this past weekend.

Thank you again Te-Wa for all you did to make it happen.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    There are some pics already up on another thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=10326&page=10
    I will post some here in a bit as this seems to be the more proper place
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Hi guys, I posted some pictures and a few comments over on the thread we used to set up the trip. Drewboy also provided comments there. Sorry, I don't know how to give you a link. But, it's the Arizona Part Deux thread.

It was great meeting everyone. Both Jacob and I really felt honored to be included in the Arizona group hangout this past weekend.

Thank you again Te-Wa for all you did to make it happen.
    Dont worry Longbow, I got your back

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Clark Weathershield

Hi Roadtorque:

Sorry I missed your question in the post above. I think that you are correct. In Arizona, during the Summer or Spring/Fall situations the Clark weather shield would usually be adequate for wind protection without the tarp. The weight savings would be on the order of ~19 ounces if you delete the standard Clark RX-250 tarp and rigging from your pack.

I did have a warm night on Saturday with the combination of the Clark Z-Liner and the JRB MW3 UQ. Although, my feet did get pretty cold when the temperature hit 14.6 degrees. I got up and readjusted my gear, and eventually warmed up. Wow, I really wish that I had a pair of down booties like Drewboy's.

My son Jacob was sleeping in his Warbonnet Traveler with an SPE 4x4 carrying two, 72" Thermarest Z-Liner CCF pads. Thank you again Shug for the suggestion regarding the SPE. Jacob's top cover was a NF -15 degree down bag with a Goretex bivy sack. He zipped the system up only about 30" to form a foot box and flipped the bag/bivy to use as an over quilt. He was warm all night, with the exception of a bit of cold in the feet in the early morning.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great looking trip ya'll ..... love all the pine needles, like a carpet. I would have set 'em ablaze with cigar ash!
    Thankee for the pix of set-ups and such. We love seeing that.
    Can't wait to get my BlackRock hat out on a trip Te-wa. It is a goodie.
    Down booties are terrific!!!! It is always fun to say "booties"........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast