DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Sewn on Underquilt Protector

I am in the process of making a Costco down throw under quilt. Since it has sewn through construction and not baffles I am considering adding a panel of fabric to the bottom of it that would hang somewhat loose as a sort of permanently attached, sewn on underquilt protector.

I am thinking of using Argon 67 fabric just something with a really tight weave to shed some wind and hopefully trap a little more heat around the sewn through areas of the quilt and possibly/hopefully boost the performance of the quilt slightly maybe if it could go from a 50° Quilt without the protector panel to a 40° quilt with the protector panel I would be pretty happy.

Now, I realize this will not have all the advantages of a separate underquilt protector as in being able to take it off if it gets dirty and wash it or have it separate from the quilt to keep it the quilt dry if it does get wet from splash up during a rain but I realize all those things and I realize there's gonna be some trade-offs going this route I mostly just looking to slightly boost the under quilt's performance with minimal weight added.

I am also considering possibly someway to have one side of my permanently attached underquilt protector be able to be opened up where I could slide a second piece of down throw in to double it up for colder weather and make kind of a modular system out of it that way rather than using Snaps or some other method to attach a double layer of down throw.

My question is has anyone experimented with a permanently attached underquilt protector to just block the wind off of an underquilt like I'm describing? If so how do you think it compared to a separate underquilt protector. Was it worthwhile?

I will soon be making the same thing and like where you are going with this
    Why not attach it with velcro?
    Last edited by cmaxwell; 02-13-2016 at 21:33.

I keep seeing down blankets at my local thrift store and have wondered if there was a simple way to convert them into an underquilt. I think for my first attempt I am going to use one of them as batting inside a poncho liner underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Argon 67 on 1.6 Hyper D XL with 2.6 Climashield for a UQP. Use it over a HG 0* UQ.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts