DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images

Experiment - How Much Warmth Does an Overcover Add?

In my one experiment, between 10°F and 25°F.

I have a Dream Hammock Sparrow with a 1.6 Hyper-D overcover. During this weekend's polar vortex I decided to sleep outside with temps approaching -15°F to test topquilt/underquilt combos. Overall results in this thread: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...esting-tonight

However, to see what the overcover really added, I attached a small temperature logger (a Senonics Minnow-T: http://senonics.com/minnow.html) to my ridgeline. I was set up in my back yard, and I have an accurate home weather station recording temps every 5 minutes (see QC data at http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/s...et+information).

If I plotted the data between a few minutes after I got into the hammock and until the time when I opened the cover (I was too hot and sweating so I needed to vent) you'll see that the overcover creates a microclimate anywhere from 10° to 25° warmer. Remarkable for just a thin piece of fabric.

Here's the plot:
    OvercoverTemp.png

The whole setup was under my UQG Winter Dream shown here:
    WinterHangBackyard.jpg

If winter camping is in your future, I think an overcover is a solid investment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    That is good to know, I just ordered the same hammock..

Thanks for the data - I'm planning to add an integrated bug net this spring, and follow up with a cover next winter.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    If I plotted the data between a few minutes after I got into the hammock and until the time when I opened the cover (I was too hot and sweating so I needed to vent) you'll see that the overcover creates a microclimate anywhere from 10° to 25° warmer. Remarkable for just a thin piece of fabric.
    Wow — I'm impressed with your result — thanks for detailed testing! What a great bit of data!

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    It's not an undercover that "created a microclimate", it's your body which heated the space between you and the undercover. The undercover only helped to save that heat.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It would be interesting to see more time as it appears the longer the time progressed the less the temp differences.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    that's pretty awesome!!! i'll be doing some experiments with cold weather gear tomorrow. I also have a sparrow with an over cover. i'll be playing with that too!!! i didn't think it would make that big a difference!!
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Very nice. This is the first time I've seen an actual log of the temperature differences. Most of the other feedback we've gotten has been single measurements or even seat of the pants estimates.

Did you notice a buildup of condensation through the night?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    It would be interesting to see more time as it appears the longer the time progressed the less the temp differences.
    Actually, I was overdressed and getting hot so I "broke the seal" . I discussed in the other thread - as you see the internal temperature dropping I was already opening the cover to try and cool off. Just before two I opened it all the way and got out of the hammock so the temperatures converged quickly. I adjusted my layers and got back in ... but I moved the temp recorder because of all the frost built up on it and my light hanging on my ridgeline - so no data after that time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Folks would smh at me for using my hammock with the bugnet even in winter. The warmth retention of even the bugnet mesh is significant. I still remember the first time I noticed opening it up on a cold morning and feeling the rush of cold air.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast