Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    Alright!!!

OK, now heres my next question...

Drip rings/lines... do you think the cleats would act in that capacity? Would they prevent water/rain from running down the line?
    they replace the rings - definitely - don't need the rings if you are using the cleats. Also, you need shorter webbing - only enough to go around the trees you are using. I think Hennesy supplies 42" webbing as tree huggers.

Prevent water from running down the line? - yes, they interrupt the flow and provide a path that diverts the water from going further on the line.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Cool test TeeDee. I still think the ring/buckles are the way to go. If it aint broke dont fix it. I'd recommend this any day over standard Hennessy method though. Not everyone has the balls to cut their spectra/rope.
    I have an issue with the webbing/huggers. You have 2 extra pieces to keep up with and what if you have a really wide tree that the huggers wont fit around?
    No problem with the long webbing on the ring/buckles.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Alright. I want to try some of these cleats. Can someone provide me with a link where I can get a pair?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Alright. I want to try some of these cleats. Can someone provide me with a link where I can get a pair?
    Here ya go.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Cool test TeeDee. I still think the ring/buckles are the way to go. If it aint broke dont fix it.
    Everyone has personal preferences - that's what it all comes down to in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I have an issue with the webbing/huggers. You have 2 extra pieces to keep up with and what if you have a really wide tree that the huggers wont fit around?
    2 extra pieces? Actually - no.

With the ring buckles, for each end I had the following to keep tack of: 1. the suspension rope - attached to hammock so no problem unless I lost the hammock, and the rings were attached to the suspension rope and 2. the webbing with attached carabiner. The webbing acted as most of the suspension and the tree huggers.

With the cleats, for each end I have the following to keep track of: 1. the suspension rope - attached to hammock so no problem unless I lose the hammock, and the cleat is left with the suspension rope zig zagged through it and stays in place, and 2. the tree hugger webbing with attached carabiner.

In the end, I have/had the webbing to keep track of nothing more. So as far as keeping track of something, both methods are the same for me.

Now as far as packing of the webbing, the cleats are proving to be far easier for me. It is far easier for me to make 42" of webbing tidy and packed than it was with 12' to 15' of webbing. Smaller package and easier to deal with. As far as the suspension rope, I never cut the spectra on the hammock for 2 reasons: 1. I am loath to do so since it is extremely hard to uncut it, and 2. I used the rope to wrap and tie the hammock in the snake skins into a neat bundle.

In the end, the total amount of rope+webbing comes down to the same amount. You have to have enough of one or both to reach from the hammock to the tree and around it. It makes no difference if you do that with one piece of webbing or one piece of rope of some combination of the two.

I forgot one of the reasons I decided I like the cleats better than the rings buckle. With the ring buckle, loosening the buckle was a problem. I solved the problem in 2 ways: 1. pull the webbing to 90 deg from the suspension and work loose, not always easy, or 2. thread the ring buckle with a bight. Method 2 was the easiest to loosen for me, but made threading the buckle a lot harder.

Wrapping through the zig zag to secure and then unwrapping the zig zag to loosen is just so much easier for me.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 06-07-2007 at 08:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Thank you I just ordered two and can not wait to try them.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Hey TD,
    Are you going to post pics?
    MQ

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hey TD,
    Are you going to post pics?
    MQ
    Okay. My camera that works uses film so posting the pictures will have to wait until I can reasonably find other things that need to be photographed to finish the roll. Might take some time.

Until then, here are the pictures that ALHikerGal posted

and

and

with full credit to ALHikerGal for both the pictures and the great idea.

you see one cleat, you've pretty much seen them all.

The only difference is that she threaded the suspension rope through the tree hugger loops. I clipped a carabiner through the loops and then clipped the suspension rope into the carabiner. Either way works. I'm just lazier than the average bear and would rather clip than thread. Just leave the carabiner clipped to one loop when you take down.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    TD! First, thank you! It means alot to me as a newbie hanger that you like what Ive done! I screwed up so many times the first few days!

And, I also now see what you are talking about by adding the 'biner to the straps instead of threading. Off to buy more stuff!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Images
    Originally Posted by FanaticFringer

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Everyone has personal preferences - that's what it all comes down to in the end.

2 extra pieces? Actually - no. .................................................. .................................................. ...............Wrapping through the zig zag to secure and then unwrapping the zig zag to loosen is just so much easier for me.
    Oh yeah, I am going to try these! But as to "keeping up with the tree huggers", I had essentially solved that issue a while back. Born of a huge paranoia about leaving the huggers behind. I simply developed a habit of NEVER pulling the rope out of both hugger loops while breaking camp. I immediately tie a knot around the one webbing loop that the rope is still thru. Sometimes I go ahead and put the rope back thru the other loop and knot it, if I'm not in a hurry. But one is sufficient. This way the hugger is always with the rope. As long as I don't break my own rule!

I suppose there is no reason this habit won't work just as well with a carabiner, just leaving the biner knotted to the rope and clipped to a loop in the huggers?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast