WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap

Bear bags while hammock camping

I'm getting anxious for spring (well, to be honest I have been since the first snow!) and am starting to plan my first hiking trip of '16 into the Porcupine Mountains. Just wondering what you all use for a 2 night / 3 day trip in (black) bear country in terms of bear bag/canister. I'm looking for something that has been tested, is light and that I can also use in my kayak

Thx all!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've used a 10L Outdoor Research dry bag in the past. They even have a little plastic D-ring on them which I tied a rope to. Roll closed, throw over a tree, tie onto something else. Then you also have a near-waterproof bag for the kayak. I like to think a drybag keeps the odors low, but can't say for sure. But it's at least minimizing it over a standard stuff sack.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well actually the Porkies is one of the easiest places to deal with as they offer bear poles at each campsite. Any bag will do. I personally use an ursack because I got tired of messing with hanging from trees for the rest of the areas I go without poles. Before that I used a zpacks set up which is just a cuben dry bag that will hold about 5 days of food, 50 feet of spectra cord, and odor protection sack and a small rock bag. Weighed about 3 oz. You can really though just make the same setup from any dry bag, just add the OP protection bag.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I've used a 10L Outdoor Research dry bag in the past. They even have a little plastic D-ring on them which I tied a rope to. Roll closed, throw over a tree, tie onto something else. Then you also have a near-waterproof bag for the kayak. I like to think a drybag keeps the odors low, but can't say for sure. But it's at least minimizing it over a standard stuff sack.
    That's basically what I have been doing for the past 5 years also - dry bag... seeing as I have tons of them. Just wondering if I should use something a bit "better" when going further into the back country with more potential for bear encounters. Something that locks in scent and will handle a bear of it happens to get a hold of it!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sub_squoch View Post
    That's basically what I have been doing for the past 5 years also - dry bag... seeing as I have tons of them. Just wondering if I should use something a bit "better" when going further into the back country with more potential for bear encounters. Something that locks in scent and will handle a bear of it happens to get a hold of it!
    I think "better" would the the solution alifeoutdoors mentioned

Pretty much the same as the other responses here. Dry bag. I use the PCT method with a micro-stuff sack I made to hold the line in storage, or a rock for deployment. Zing-it soft shackle in lieu of a carabiner. I guess it works since I'm typing this.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/03/h...he-pct-method/

I'm researching a potential trip to Yosemite this fall, and all I can say about bear canisters so far is that they would be a last resort for me, and only utilized as required by regulation. And even then it will be a rental in my case. I may feel differently after my first trip in bear canister territory, time will tell.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

I've been using a silnylon bear bag from SLD ( http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/385 ) with a Loksak odor proof liner from REI ( http://www.rei.com/product/884265/lo...2-package-of-2 ).

The SLD bag has a roll top and a D ring that I use with zingit and a rock throw bag. The liner is perfect for keeping the odors in and food dry. Being in Michigan, I don't think I'll ever have the need for a bulky bear canister.

Hammock
    Elemental Hammock
    Tarp
    Cave Creek
    Insulation
    EE Top, HG Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 PCT method.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ursack user here.....http://www.ursack.com
    It is the lazy man's way.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Ursack user here.....http://www.ursack.com
    It is the lazy man's way.
    Shug
    But it sure comes with a high price tag . Might be overkill for our pesky Michigan chipmunks...It is pretty cool though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast