Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just don't want my food near me at night, and the Ursack allows me to walk a couple of hundred feet and get the food away from me. It has been hard to get my kids to understand that food where you sleep is no good, but I think I've trained them. Well, actually a squirrel trained them because they weren't supposed to have any food in their hammocks but the squirrel found the food in their hammocks. Nothing like a real-world lesson to reinforce the basics!

Talk about funny - my son had a granola bar in his ridgeline organizer and the squirrel got into the Fronkey bugnet while my son was napping. I looked over and the squirrel was bouncing around off the bugnet, my son, and everywhere else. I laughed my butt off, but my son hardly budged. "Squirrel," he said. That was about it, then he went back to sleep.

This same squirrel, or one of his compatriots, stole my Bahco folding saw. I saw him carrying it up the tree and threw something at him. He dropped the saw. Later, he scored an unsecured granola bar and was happy.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-19-2016 at 00:07.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like the Zpacks food bag. It's as big as you need it to be, waterproof, and bear proof.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'm old school, I keep all my food and toiletries in a dry bag and hang it a few hundred feet away from camp.

I put my whole pack up in a tree at night.It is not the bears that are the cause and I play in the densest population in the lower 48.ITS THE **** MICE YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT!!It is one of the reasons I am getting of the ground.I spent one night on the ground under a tarp with the things crawling all over me.I have had them chew up all sorts of gear,even eat the dirty spots out of a brand new pair of shorts,laying right next tome.You can tell a black bear to go away,not a mouse.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I must stink or something. I never see/hear a single critter the whole time I'm in camp. If I'm not worried about bears, often I'll leave food doubled up in dry bags under my hammock because I'm lazy and I like to start breaaaafast from the hammock first thing.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I'm actually fortunate that I/we are always hiking with our best bud i.e. dog. The black bears up here are heavily hunted so even the scent of a dog will send most bears flying. I never have to worry about them in camp. However the little blood thirsty red squirrel is ever eager to run the gauntlet and risk the wrath of the german shepherd for a quick snack or peak into a bag. I've got her prey instinct pretty well grounded where she won't take off after any other creature ........... but red squirrel. They are her nemesis. But SilvrSurfr has the best critter story I've ever heard. An actual literal lol.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Ursack user here.....http://www.ursack.com
    It is the lazy man's way.
    Shug
    Ditto Plus never having to deal with a Bear line getting wrapped around a high limb!
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the URSACK. I never have to worry about the size or make of the creature trying to get at my chow.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    You guys would have talked me into the ursack, but not at that $$$$

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    If I'm in the catskills or adirondaks its a bear vault since bear bags arent allowed but I've been thinking of switching to the ursack since the bv4500 is a pain in the pack otherwise rolltop dry bag PCT method

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast