Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to hanging - I am a cold sleeper and need advice

Good day!

Up to now, I've camped in tents with my husband. In a few months, I'll be on the Superior Trail with a friend, backpacking. Yay! Instead of tenting, I'm wondering about hanging, and need advice! I'm a cold sleeper. It'll be in the 30's at night. Can I do this? Will it be expensive? I don't want a major investment right now, but I'd love to try. I'd also love to hear about why hanging is better than tenting, and why I might love it too! Anywhere I can "rent" the stuff to try? Thanks so much!! I can't wait for my adventure!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Welcome! I take it you are a woman? In that case you are not alone; most females are in fact cold sleepers (truth be told so am I, at least on my torso).
    What can I tell you... Hammocking is not to be mixed with tenting. It is not of the same planet even! I still use a tent occasionally above tree limit, and I dread every night, while I sleep like a baby in my hammocks and simply cannot wait to go again after a trip (my trips are in addition little hiking and alot of hanging). You will not only sleep more comfortable in a hammock vs a tent, but you will also feel less (or none) of that awful feeling of being locked up in a plastic bag that even good tents may bring. It's just hard to explain how amazing it is to someone who hasn't tried...

Now to the downside; going around the freezing point in a hammock is usually quite expensive. You will be more exposed to cold from underneath and insulation is expensive. You can buy a great hammock for a reasonable amount, but the insulation follows the rule of "you get what you pay for" (in general). Do you possibly have a good down air mattress from tenting? In that case, it will probably work out in a hammock as well.

PS: If you cannot get good insulation (underneath that is; on top it'll be good with whatever bag you would use in a tent) now, I would still urge you not to discard hammocking. Try it when it's warmer. In the summertime you could do with just a foam pad or even a sleeping bag double folded if it is warm enough.
    Last edited by Snusovic; 02-18-2016 at 13:11.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New to hanging - I am a cold sleeper and need advice

I'm pretty sure either Hammock Gear or Under Ground Quilts will rent quilts for trial. Someone else will chime in, I bet!
    Keith

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I am pretty sure that UGQ's rent gear, and by the way - welcome to the forum!!
    In my opinion go with 0 degree quilts, that's what i would do.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    It can be done and it can be done in expensively. Get a shower curtain for a tarp (that's a parodie to Grandma Gatewood, not an actual advice - but you can buy a tarp in any range from $10 to $300 - depending how light it needs to be),a hammock, your ground sleeping pad and bag and plenty of clothes, and sturdy keds (that's Grandma Gatewood again). You are good to go

Why hammock? To stay off the ground. Ground is associated with melting snow, collected water, hard uneven surface with rocks and sticks). And you won't need to deal with any of it.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    alla my gear gets me to the upper 50's and it's all diy type stuff I've thrown together from the forum's members knowledges. P.L.U.Q. with fleece and space blanket, P.L.T.Q. w/wool overblanket, (not UL)tarp, tree straps, hammock.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hi...thanks! Yes...female. Sorry I forgot that part I am pretty well "ready" for tent camping. Zero degree down bag, warmer rated air pad for underneath my bag, plenty of clothing etc. I don't, generally, plan on "cold" weather, relatively speaking. I live in Minnesota, but I don't camp in the winter. In May, when I'll be taking my trip, it'll get to the 30-40 range at night. Day is warmer in the sunshine. It's kind of our "spring" weather I think summer sleeping would be fantastic in a hammock, provided the mosquitoes don't eat me alive!

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Well it's not that easy to hang a hammock inside the tent, you know. Not impossible, but a bit cumbersome with most tents. A tarp would be much easier

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by knix04 View Post
    I'm pretty sure either Hammock Gear or Under Ground Quilts will rent quilts for trial. Someone else will chime in, I bet!
    If they don't, no problem. I've sold several for close to the new price. Being new, the most I lost was about $15! And I recently sold an older quilt losing $40...but I intentionally priced that one to sell quick.

So that's an option as well. And while we're at it, my first attempt hammocking 4 years ago was a failure. I sold everything and didn't lose much money at all. Then a few months later I repurchased everything to try again!

You can certainly put trust in the quilt manufacturers and their temp ratings. Of course, a little padding doesn't hurt.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A pad...or two will get you by for a first foray.
    You will hopefully love the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast