Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Tablecloth hammock failure

I gathered the ends of a 90x156" tablecloth and added an 8" 7/64 amsteel continuous loop to either end. It was awesome, Very comfy and lots of room. I used it for about a week. Yesterday I sat in it w my lady a couple of times. It held. Just after she got out the fabric tore under the continuous loop. I am convinced the loop cut into the poly. I put the hammock back up and it failed again. This time it dropped the brother in law his wife and new baby; Same phenomenon. So, my questions are these:

1. Is there something I could use to shield the poly from the amsteel? Today I tried putting the larkshead over some whipping. Unfortunately for whipping all I had was paracord. It was not perfect.

2. Is 7/64 amsteel too thin for this application?

3. Would a channeled end be a more durable solution?

4. Is a polyester crinkle taffeta tablecloth strong enough to support 2 people.

5. Is there maybe something I overlooked in my set up that caused the problem?

6. Has anyone else experienced this problem or other durability related concerns w the DIY tablecloth hammocks?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Sounds like you're pushing the limits of the fabric. I have a 90x132 taffeta, tablecloth, and ran masons twine through the tiny hem. Then I just cinched it up and put a CL behind the bunched up knot of fabric. It's held 300# many times and felt sturdy, but I wouldn't want to push it beyond that, especially with any degree of swinging or bouncing.
    There have also been reports of flaws in fabric of tablecloths. Hold yours up to a light and scan the weave for imperfections.
    Keith

Images
    Thanks Keith.

I think you are right. It is a cheap cloth and bound to be imperfect and limited.

However, I want to push those limits. On this forum people have said table cloth will hold 500Lb. My little eno DN holds two reliably And it is one of the least respected riggs on this forum. I want to build something bigger that is just as durable.

Both instances of failure were at the head end rigging attachment point where the amsteel met the poly. Which leads me to believe the attachment method was either improperly implemented or just plain under built.

Is there a beefier way?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

I believe to get to 500# reliably and safely, you should consider a double layer hammock from fabrics designed for hammocks. That's a lot of weight multiplied by the hang angle and additional forces created by such.

Ripstop by the roll and Dutchware both sell heavier, high strength rated fabrics more suited to your specific application. Contact either of these reputable, reliable sources to be set on the right track.
    Good luck!
    Keith

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Having said that, I made 12" continuous loops for my tablecloth, and double wrapped the CL behind the knot created by the gather, hoping to spread the shear forces over a larger area of the fabric. I've seen no signs of wear or deterioration at the CL.
    Keith

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quality has been spotty with the tablecloth hammocks. I've been lucky - I have a couple of single layers and a double layer hammock that are doing just fine. I triple stitch end channels on mine, then run Amsteel continuous loops through them.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    How are your hang angles?
    Shallower than 30° really increases to the load.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You seem to have drunk the Kool-Aid on hammocks for two (or even three). You'll notice that there are no cottage vendors selling hammocks for two except the Clark Vertex. ENO flogs their Doublenest as a hammock for two, but consensus is that it's a recipe for suffering after 15 or 20 minutes. Is there any particular reason you're pursuing this? Or is it just boredom?

Regardless of your motives, I would buy more reliable fabric than the tablecloth, do a double layer, and up your suspension from 7/64 Amsteel to 1/8.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You seem to have drunk the Kool-Aid on hammocks for two (or even three). You'll notice that there are no cottage vendors selling hammocks for two except the Clark Vertex. ENO flogs their Doublenest as a hammock for two, but consensus is that it's a recipe for suffering after 15 or 20 minutes. Is there any particular reason you're pursuing this? Or is it just boredom?

Regardless of your motives, I would buy more reliable fabric than the tablecloth, do a double layer, and up your suspension from 7/64 Amsteel to 1/8.
    Yeah man I'm a kool aid drinker alright. My lady likes token hammock attention. You are right about the 20 min thing. It's about that but it is an important 20 min that really helps out w home relations over all. Hammocking is kind of a solitary persuit and that suits me fine but my lady wants to be close sometimes and I don't want to get out of my hammock long enough to make that happen.

I think you are spot on about the upgrade. Time for a little hyper d xl. But I have some more basics to learn befor I start in on the fancy stuff. (Just learned how to tie larks head and sheet bend in 2015). Thx

Images
    Here is the hang angle and something I'm trying to shield the material from the CL. Let me know if either looks way off. Thx

image.jpg

Attachment 125111
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by onetearless; 02-20-2016 at 04:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast