Thread: Bug net options

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu

Bug net options

I am trying to put together a hammock set-up for a friend. I am thinking about getting a Dutch hammock and need to figure out what to do for a bug net. A lot of people seem to suggest a Fronkey style net. It is my understanding that a Fronkey style net is open at the bottom. Is this true? My friend spends a lot of time in places like Africa and I want a totally closed system. I own an Eno bug net but it seems pretty heavy and bulky to me. Is there a better source for this type of net?

I have two wbbb hammocks. I would love to get her that type of integrated system but don't think I can afford it. I got really excited yesterday when I saw a picture of a hammock with integrated bug net on Dutch's site but I guess that was a mod done by a customer.

Do you all have any suggestions? Can any one point me to a decent, fully enclosed, bug net?

WB sells one for 10 footers...

Maybe some day Brandon will offer a Travel Net XL (11') as he does with the Travel Sock.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Not finished yet but making one at the moment, it has a built in underquilt protector and you can rotate to adjust wind protection or temperature or ventilation
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    You can get a sock style net that totally encloses the hammock. Dream Hammock and Simply Light Designs offer them, probably other vendors here also.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Fronkey-style bugnets work. Is there some reason you don't trust them? "Fully enclosed" means a zipper and more weight.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

A fronkey bug net doesn't have to be open on the bottom. The ones I have made, per the Original Fronkey instructions, have shock cord at the bottom to close up the hole. Except I don't close up the hole because I haven't needed to. I even took the shock cord out, but put it back because I thought the weight made it hang better.

On a integrated bug net, you have to think about bugs biting through the hammock, but you do get more airflow for cooling.

On one of the zippered bug nets like the eno or the wilderness logics, you can put some light things in the net hanging under you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    A fronkey bug net doesn't have to be open on the bottom. The ones I have made, per the Original Fronkey instructions, have shock cord at the bottom to close up the hole. Except I don't close up the hole because I haven't needed to.
    I don't close the hole either. Mosquitoes don't know how to fly up for a blood meal!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    With all the mosquito borne diseases in the areas where this hammock will be used I would really like to have a fully enclosed net. As far as an integrated net goes, a double layer hammock stops them from getting you from below.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    With all the mosquito borne diseases in the areas where this hammock will be used I would really like to have a fully enclosed net. As far as an integrated net goes, a double layer hammock stops them from getting you from below.
    The Fronkey bugnet negates the need for a double layer hammock. You should really try one before concluding that a fully-enclosed bugnet is somehow superior.

Case in point - when I had a fully-enclosed bugnet (i.e., integrated, i.e., zippered), the mosquitoes would always happily wait for me to enter my zippered bugnet, and then they would enter with me. It always took me a good 10 minutes to kill the majority of them.

With the Fronkey, I never have that problem. I enter from the bottom and they just don't know how to follow. Sometimes experience trumps intuition, and I think in this case your intuition is telling you something that simply isn't true.

I'm a mosquito magnet, and the Fronkey bugnet has been a godsend to me. Mosquitoes simply don't know how to enter a bugnet from the bottom, especially with an underquilt in place. They're absolutely flummoxed and they're too stupid to figure it out. If you treat your Fronkey net with permethrin, they can't attack straight ahead because it will kill them, and an attack from below will likely also kill them - they don't go near a Fronkey bugnet sprayed with permethrin.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-21-2016 at 22:00.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm as amazed as anyone that mosquitoes don't know how to fly "up." Give the Fronkey a try and I'm sure you'll be shocked.

I don't think I've ever read anything anywhere saying that the Fronkey doesn't work in any environment. Add permethrin and you're guaranteed satisfaction.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-21-2016 at 22:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast