Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to backpacking...and hammocks!

I failed miserably to introduce myself before asking questions. My apologies, but thank you for all of the comments on the posts I have made My name is Amy and am new to backpcking, although camping is something I have done for years ( my husband and I like to camp, but we do mainly canoe camping). A friend and I will be back packing about 60 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail in May, and I'm very interested in learning more about hammock systems and using them on the trail. Thank you so much for all your comments and wise advice! I'm glad to be part of this thread.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    cheap tent tarp
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Welcome and hope you have fun.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Whatever you choose for backpack, sleeping system and shelter, watch the total weight. The lighter, the easier.

What is an ideal "total weight" for a hammock system that will get me to 30ish degrees?

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    If bugs are not likely an issue:
    Hammock 1/2 pound-ish
    20 degree TQ = a little over a pound
    20 degree 3/4 UQ = a little over a pound
    cuben fiber tarp = about 1/2 pound, other material = 12-16 oz
    suspension = 3-4 ozs

These weights assume money is no object

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpbarnbabe View Post
    What is an ideal "total weight" for a hammock system that will get me to 30ish degrees?
    The system I show in this video has a base weight of about 13 pounds. I've been comfortable down to 24 degrees. That's base weight, not total weight. Total weight will include consumables like food, fuel and water. I like to carry 2 liters of water (4.4 pounds) and you can estimate about 2 to 2.5 PPPPD for food (PPPPD = Pounds Per Person Per Day) Your fuel weight will depend on what kind of stove you use. I like a Fancee Feast stove made from a cat food can (yes, I'm serious) and I can ration 1 once of fuel per meal. If you're using a propane stove or a white gas stove then that will vary.

I hope that helps.

If I have a hammock with a bug net, a small tarp/rainfly, 0 degree down bag, insulation (playing with car window reflectors) sleeping pad R fator 4.5 and warm clothes, will I be good into the 30's? Do I have to have an UQ right now?

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I would be comfortable with your setup, but your mileage may vary. Wear dry (wool) clothes at night, be ready to deploy your jacket (and all your other clothes) as extra blanket (or pad), have a good night meal before you go to bed, and bring a warm water bottle.

As I said earlier, watch the weight of Big 3. The lighter, the easier on your back, but more expensive. There's no absolute "ideal" solution. Besides, you already own a number of good things and there's no need to spend more money (unless you want to). Just check your weights and meditate on them, think if you need this item, think if you can replace any heavy item with much lighter one for reasonable price. Etc. It doesn't need to come right away.

Avoid jeans and cotton sweaters. Look for wool (for wintertime) or down or fleece. Remember that down is really worthless if wet, so make sure it does not get wet at all costs (other stuff - too). Remember that clothes and sleeping bags don't make you warm, it's your body which make you warm, clothes only allow to save that warmth. Therefore,your body needs food to be warm.
    Last edited by BrRabbit; 02-23-2016 at 20:35.

Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    I would be comfortable with your setup, but your mileage may vary. Wear dry (wool) clothes at night, be ready to deploy your jacket (and all your other clothes) as extra blanket (or pad), have a good night meal before you go to bed, and bring a warm water bottle.

As I said earlier, watch the weight of Big 3. The lighter, the easier on your back, but more expensive. There's no absolute "ideal" solution. Besides, you already own a number of good things and there's no need to spend more money (unless you want to). Just check your weights and meditate on them, think if you need this item, think if you can replace any heavy item with much lighter one for reasonable price. Etc. It doesn't need to come right away.

Avoid jeans and cotton sweaters. Look for wool (for wintertime) or down or fleece. Remember that down is really worthless if wet, so make sure it does not get wet at all costs (other stuff - too). Remember that clothes and sleeping bags don't make you warm, it's your body which make you warm, clothes only allow to save that warmth. Therefore,your body needs food to be warm.
    Excellent advice! I have a backpacking poncho to cover me and the pack...gortex boots that simply rock (older....broken in...comfy..warm...waterproof), lots of wool/fleece etc. 1 pound stove, 3# sleeping bag, 2# hammock setup etc. Trying to keep it all under 30 if possible.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome! Your superior trip sounds fun. Is it a "girls" trip? I sleep w/ a 15* down bag, pad, a small piece of silver insulation thrown in for good measure(my sit pad), and tuck my down sweater around my shoulder area. I've been warm down to a windy, ridge top, lo 30's. Didn't want to get up in the morning, though

Charlotte

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast