Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burrow 40 Help!

Right now my 40 degree tq is unsnapped and hanging out on our sofa. Wife and I share on those cold nights.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    Did any of you end up going with the wide option, I also sleep on my side most of the time and was going to go for the wide option, I figure I could pop a leg or two out if I was overheating, if I wake up hot and had the snaps I wouldn't want to mess with undoing them in the middle of the nite so if it wasn't already in blanket mode I would just pop a leg out like I do with sewn quilts. Grumpy dose the quilt shift alot when it's flat?
    Never had a problem with shifting - but my 0° and 20° quilts are UGQ Renegades, 56" wide, and the vertical baffles help the drape. My 40° is only 48", but I'm much less concerned with sealing drafts above 40°.

If you decide on sewn footboxes and are worried about having room to move your knees around, my advice is to go long first, then wide, especially if the quilt has a strong taper. Both my sewn quilts are 78". That way if I want more room to spread a leg I push the quilt down and my knees reach an area of less taper. (I can also pull them over my head for an extra few minutes of darkness in the morning if I need to.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Last nite I used my other quilt witch has a sewn footbox and pushed it down like you said to spread my legs out when I got hot and It worked fine, I'm a cold sleeper and my feet usually get cold, seeing as it will be a 40deg Bag I don't think I will have much trouble at that temperature. Iv hear the drawstring opens up sometimes when you use it in footbox mode or the snaps comeing undone have any of you experienced this?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    Last nite I used my other quilt witch has a sewn footbox and pushed it down like you said to spread my legs out when I got hot and It worked fine, I'm a cold sleeper and my feet usually get cold, seeing as it will be a 40deg Bag I don't think I will have much trouble at that temperature. Iv hear the drawstring opens up sometimes when you use it in footbox mode or the snaps comeing undone have any of you experienced this?
    I have not had either of these issues. The drawstring can be secured, if it is really cold, I have used a rubber band to seal the end. Again, I push cclothes in the bottom if it is close to zero degrees.
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks StoryTellerTN I appreciate the help! This is really a HYOH type of question and I appreciate all the feedback from both sides.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    I agree with HYOH. I have both, I'm a winner either way.
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have a 0 degree quilt, and wish I would have went with a sewn footbox for it, but for a warmer weather quilt, I wouldn't give up snaps. I can widen the foot hole to vent, or even unsnap it altogether, and make the quilt much more comfortable in a much wider range of temperatures. I have used my 0 degree in this way up to 50 degrees comfortably. When it is colder, I just stuff a sock in the opening and draw it tight to prevent leaks. I have to imagine that a sewn footbox is warmer, though.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think I'm going to attend a group hang or something and see if someone will let me try one with snaps out!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I agree that under 20 degrees should always use sewn because it's just so much less likely to leak heat. At 40 degrees, you have an option, but I personally would still go sewn. I would only get the snaps in two situations:
    1. You intend to use it extensively at home as a blanket (and I would use a cheap $20 throw for that, not my backpacking gear).
    2. You think you will often sleep in weather so warm that you might not need a quilt at all (then the venting might be handy).

In all other cases, I would go sewn. You can still vent the sewn style by just draping it over your feet without actually getting into it, but a snaps closure has permanently reduced the insulation. I have a sewn 40 degree burrow, and I've never once wished it had snaps.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Also, you have to know your own body and how you sleep. If you are a hot sleeper, then maybe snaps would work well to extend the temps you can use your quilt. I'd personally much rather err on the side of caution and go with sewn.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast