WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Burrow 40 Help!

I'm going to get a Burrow 40 and can't decide between a sewn footbox or the snaps, I was going to go by the general rule I see on the forums under 20 sewn, over 40 snaps, iv never used an underquilt with snaps and am not sure if i will like it. I had some concerns about the snaps ripping the fabric or the drawstring causing wear and tear over time, I talked to HammockGear and they said rips are not likely, i do like the option of opening the quilt flat to vent or as a blanket but to be honest I don't know if I will ever use it like that. I was thinking in extremely cold situations i could throw it over another topquilt to help keep me warm but the chances of it being that cold here are not that likely. So I think I'm leaning more toward a sewn footbox, iv seen a couple people on the forums say they've sewn their footbox shut after trying snaps and not likeing them (Shug) for example, i would like to avoid that option, I appreciate any suggestions!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have never understood the appeal of snapped footboxes and never will. Not a single argument for snapped footboxes resonates with me. I have a 40*, 20* and 0* topquilt and all are sewn footboxes.

I think a 20* TQ is much more useful in CT than a 40* TQ. I use my 20* TQ 80% of the time.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks SilvrSurfr I was hoping you and Shug would reply, both of you are the main reasons I'm leaning toward a sewn footbox. Im only going to use it in my hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Depends on season
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    Sewn in footbox, had the same question and i bought the sewn in.... Always have chances of air getting through a snap closed footbox... Used mine and was comfy warm all night

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    I have snaps and a sewn on the way. I love my snaps, the sewn is for my wife.
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In a perfect world I would like to try both but that obviously isn't the case lol, I would hate to order one and wish I got the other, I appreciate the help everyone,

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    I've been too hot I'm my 40 sewn and wish it was snapped at some times for venting. Just my 2 cents.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    My 40° is a snap & draw (OK, Velcro & draw) because when it's above 40° I'll wear wool socks and open it up so I can sleep more comfortably in a "figure 4", on my side, or even kind of frog-legged position. I never get cold feet - even when I was a ski instructor for 7 years. So I prefer the extra space when I don't have to worry about below freezing temps. I also use it, GASP , on a cot when car camping in my giant family tent and prefer it open then too.

Other than that I can think of no reason for snaps and my 20° and 0° are both sewn footboxes. Like SilvrSurfr said though, in New England I use my 20° most of the time. My 40° gets used by itself only in July & August. Also inside my 0° that one time a year when it will be below 0.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Did any of you end up going with the wide option, I also sleep on my side most of the time and was going to go for the wide option, I figure I could pop a leg or two out if I was overheating, if I wake up hot and had the snaps I wouldn't want to mess with undoing them in the middle of the nite so if it wasn't already in blanket mode I would just pop a leg out like I do with sewn quilts. Grumpy dose the quilt shift alot when it's flat?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    Did any of you end up going with the wide option, I also sleep on my side most of the time and was going to go for the wide option, I figure I could pop a leg or two out if I was overheating, if I wake up hot and had the snaps I wouldn't want to mess with undoing them in the middle of the nite so if it wasn't already in blanket mode I would just pop a leg out like I do with sewn quilts. Grumpy dose the quilt shift alot when it's flat?
    What you mentioned is one of the features I like about having snaps on my quilt. My quilt is a 0° top quilt with the cinch cord on the end. When it gets extremely cold, I simply shove my wool sweater or some other piece of clothing in the bottom to plug the hole. The snaps are facing down towards my under quilt, so getting cold is not typically a problem. I have been down to 0° with a 0° TQ with snaps and had no issues. I am by the way a very cold sleeper, so this is an issue for me. I have used this blanket on multiple trips with my kids to summer camp in which I use it in blanket mode. Given it is such a warm quilt, in order to not have to purchase multiple quilts, in warmer weather I simply drape it over my legs or torso, and vent accordingly. I am not fond of mummy bags because of the restriction on my legs, so having snaps gives me options. This of course is strictly my personal preference and my two cents in the matter. Each unto their own as they say.
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast