Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pad placement problems

I have the double bottom BB and I am having a real hard time getting any full size pad (have tried several) to stay put in a diagonal position. The pad keeps slipping out of the foot box and into the center of the hammock. I am concerned because I want to use a Yeti with a short pad under my legs but I cant seem to get them positioned correctly.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I found putting the pad askew to direction I'll be entering and twisting would position it where I wanted it. Shift the pad to one direction and enter the hammock, see if its where you like it. If not readjust pad and re-enter till you get it right. Then remember this angle for future hangs.

Some glob on small patches of silicone caulk and let it dry. Silicone leaves a small sticky spots for the pad to adhere to the fabric. If its too sticky you can give it a dash of powder or corn starch. Just a dab or three will do the trick.

Holding the pad during entry helps too, grip the pad and hammock fabric while entering with one hand.

Pads do wander around, hence the popularity of UQ's.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Curious, as I am about to purchase some CCF to compliment the 3 season yeti . . .

Can you place the CCF in the sleeve at a diagonal, then cut the CCF to be flush with the zipper? Considering that the majority of the weight in the hammock is the butt & torso region, I wouldn't think the CCF would slide down between you and the yeti. With the pad being cut to fit the diagonal lay, the newly cut angle for the CCF shouldn't allow it move below the feet either.

Please consider this is all conceptual on my part as I have not tried this yet but I am planning to soon. Any feedback is welcomed . . . and I hope this contributes to this thread . . .no intentions of hijacking it!

I use a 25 in wide CCF pad and have never had it move out of the diagonal due to its width. How wide of a pad are you using?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Maybe someone will make a topquilt that has a small sleeve say from ankle/feet to calves to hold a pad in place.

what I used

I used a Gossamere Gear thinlite pad 20 inch width and a Zlite 20 inch. They dont stay on the diagonal. The only thing that works somewhat better is using a short pad cut to the length of a footbox. Even this moves around a bit. If weight is not important I guess you can use a very wide pad that will be held in place because it touches both ends of the hammock.

What seems to work best is a Big Agnes Zirkel with inflatable insulated 20 x 72 inch pad inserted into the bottom bag's sleeve. This allows you to force the bag/pad combination into the foot box in the diagonal position. This is what I had been using with the HH asym but was very awkward with the bottom entry system. The inflatable pad also spreads out the hammock and creates a comfortable resting place for the head instead of wrestling your head into a wierd position in the tensioned hammock fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I trimmed a ridge rest to length to complement the yeti and haven't had any problems with my dbl 1.1 WBBB. I did give up on getting it parallel with my direction of lay and just stick it parallel to the sag in the footbox. If it's messed up I adjust after entering but it never moves around on me during the night. Maybe it has a coating on it, maybe I am so comfortable I don't move. Anyone else using a ridge rest?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    I have the double bottom BB and I am having a real hard time getting any full size pad (have tried several) to stay put in a diagonal position. The pad keeps slipping out of the foot box and into the center of the hammock. I am concerned because I want to use a Yeti with a short pad under my legs but I cant seem to get them positioned correctly.
    Re: the leg pad use only: have you tried just using the pad inside the hammock, instead of in the pad pocket? So far I have not had any trouble with this staying where I need it. OTOH, if I want to move it because I have changed positions, it could not be easier. Of course, a full size pad can be more difficult in any gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I trimmed down one of the Gossamer Gear 1/4" 40" wide pads to about 30", and put it plus a NeoAir medium in on the diagonal. Didn't notice any movement a'tall.

Images
    BB is right. most folks do not put a leg pad between the layers. the double layer is more for a full length pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast