Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Those pictures look great. The fire kit in particular looks really sharp in that shot as do the unnecessarily complicated eating instruments. I'll also second the appreciation for photos of the products in use (like the hammock picture).

* For the second photo (zipper pull tab/etc), have you tried that on a different color background? I really like it, but I think you'd want to include another picture of it on a much lighter (or white) background.
    * The mitten hook looks better without the blob on the bottom, but the blur on the bottom edge is distracting. Just lay it down and shot it from overhead.
    * It looks like you're using a lightbox for shooting the smaller stuff, but if not, that will help you get the overhead shot of the mitten hook while still providing decent light.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Pics look as great as my AHE cub pillow
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Not 100% sure what picture #2 is. Looks like a light on a black cord, but I'd need more info on what it is.

Is picture #9 (person in black quilt) at the Snake River Birds of Prey area?

Agree that the glue on the gated mitten hook looks like part of the device.

I assume the two brown sticks are chopsticks, but that might not be clear to everyone.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    Not 100% sure what picture #2 is. Looks like a light on a black cord, but I'd need more info on what it is.

Is picture #9 (person in black quilt) at the Snake River Birds of Prey area?

Agree that the glue on the gated mitten hook looks like part of the device.

I assume the two brown sticks are chopsticks, but that might not be clear to everyone.

The photos would be more clear looking at them on the store in context. Was just trying to give a few examples of the photo work we are pointing towards.

The second image in the ones above is a Glow in the Dark zipper pull. I charged it up and shot a photo to try and show what it looks like in the dark.

Not at Birds of Prey but close.....about 30 miles strait line from there. It's on a hill top overlooking the Mt Home area.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Personally, I like the depth-of-field / focus you're presenting. Many product shots have no character, while these seem to pop.
    I would encourage consistency though ... find "your look" and roll with it

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I think your pictures look great. Much better than many I have seen on other sites.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really appreciate the sense of design with all of the shots, and I'm very fond of the clean, modern look. To be frank, though, I'm torn a little bit because our industry is tied so tightly to the "nature" experience. I enjoy looking at the pictures of your products where they include people, or a backdrop where they are being used whereas the shots of the biners are just starkly sitting on a high contrast background. While I appreciate the difficulty of staging ALL of your products in Action shots, what about choosing backdrops of a more organic nature? Muslin fabric, for instance? Or a carabiner "in place" on a whoopie sling with the rest of the colored carabiners hanging from that one?

Anyhow, those are my $0.02. Not sure if they're worth more than that: I'll tell you a story about my own HYOH Podcast logo - I did up 3 or 4 trial logos myself and showed them to a designer friend. She said, "That's very interesting. Give me a couple of days to put something together for you."

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    A bit of glue to get it to stand....it's not included.
    Forget trying to stand it up. Make yourself a light box and lay the product down on top of it, so it's backlit. Just don't over do the backlighting though. Adjust the front lighting to create some modeling (to show form and texture).

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    ...On the carabiners and stakes, I'd focus about a third of the way in instead of halfway in, or increase the depth of field. My eyes want to focus on a closer product. The contextual shots are superb. Overall, they all look really good. Product photography is not at all easy.
    I was going to suggest the same thing about the focus. Generally speaking, on product photography you want detail in the foreground and that's where the plane of focus should be. The exception would be an image like the stakes, but I agree the focus should still not be so far back, focus on the 3rd instead of the 4th.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I know when I'm looking at a product online, I'm more included to buy if there are multiple photos of it.

I like to see a few detail photos, showing just the product from a few angles. I also like to see the product actually in use. Lastly, I like to see all the color options if there are options.

One thing I notice on the site, there aren't many shots at all of the KAQ stuff being used. I browse almost exclusively on the mobile site, and when I look at the top quilts, a somewhat unflattering picture of a light colored quilt is displayed, and then just the colors of the fabrics. Some pictures of different colored quilts (top and bottom) in action would go a long ways.

Every day is a good day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast