Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have the HH, warbonnet and Dutch half wit. If you are worried about weight then go with the half wit but you HH will be what I would go with as the bug net will help with heat retention and the heavier material will as well. I am guessing you do not have an UQ

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.....the best for winter,spring, summer and fall.......It has the removable top cover and the removable bug net....you can keep parts or mail parts home.....
    The adaptablity is very nice.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstarbuck View Post
    I hike the AT frequently and in just about every season. I have always been able to get away with just a head net for bugs.
    You're a lucky guy. I have to have full Fronkey bugnet about three months a year in NJ and the Northeast. I don't need a bugnet the rest of the time.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Hi......If you would like ...I have an ENO Bugnet that is absolutely brand new that I am not going to use.....got it about a month ago.....if you would like to have it and it would help you on your AT trip adventure...Private Message me your address and I will send it to you for free...it's a gift. If your interested ...just let me know...... also ....I'll pay for the shipping too. Consider it early trail magic...)
    Turk3

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk3 View Post
    Hi......If you would like ...I have an ENO Bugnet that is absolutely brand new that I am not going to use.....got it about a month ago.....if you would like to have it and it would help you on your AT trip adventure...Private Message me your address and I will send it to you for free...it's a gift. If your interested ...just let me know...... also ....I'll pay for the shipping too. Consider it early trail magic...)
    Turk3
    Trail magic indeed. Very nice gesture!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Well done Turk3.........
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I would take the doublenest if you're comfy it it. It's lighter and you probably won't need a bug net for a while.

I don't use a bug net anymore because I have to carry bug spray anyway and don't want to carry both. I just treat my gear with Permethrin and skin with picaridin. This time of year, a small bottle of picaridin is all I take and don't really have to use it until bug season. I seem to attract mosquitoes.

Like mentioned above, you can change out your set up later if you want.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    You can drop the weight on your ENO by modifying the suspension. The wonderful fellas @ the group hang that I went to showed me how (and I was given the goods). Replace the loops, carabiner, & heavy straps with whoopies & lighter straps like Kevlar. It also decreases bulk. My Hammock & suspension all fit in the hammock's bag.
    With the whoopies looped around each end, you can pull one edge of the hammock further into each gather, making one side higher, and it creates a comfy chair.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I have a double nest and sleep just fine in it. I made a bug net out of brown tulle from JoAnn fabric. Two 12ft lengths, overlap to make a channel for the ridgeline sew down the ends leaving only a pass through for the suspension. sew on some 1" nylon webbing along the bottom (to weight the skirt of the netting, keeps the netting tight against the sides of the hammock, make it easy to find the opening with your foot... the skirt opening should also be smaller than the length of your hammock. This took me a couple of hours to make, including learning how to use the sewing machine and how to keep the tulle from sliding around while I worked on it

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I have a Blackbird, but since getting the Half-Wit, the blackbird has not been in my backpack. The extra 6" of length, half the weight of the Blackbird, and the fabric make the difference on the Half-Wit. In the cold I pull my puffy jacket over the foot end and that seems to help with the cold feet.

I have heard get things about the Dream Hammocks, so if you're looking for a new hammock, good to consider. I know a 2014 AT thru hiker who had one and really liked it.

If you have a little money, use the Eno and pick up a Argon Vented Sock from Dutch. $57. The summer one is netting on one side and Argon on the other so you can flip it over in the cold like an overcover or have the net on top for bugs and quilt protector.

I agree with the idea of starting with the Eno and then when and if needed solving the bug problem when it becomes a problem. You may even be able to get by with a headnet (super light) and a little bug spray as suggested.

Just a couple of options.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast