DIY Gathered End Hammock End Seam Question

Hi there! First post on the forums for me.

I am a DIY'er. I try to do everything myself before I pay someone else to do it. From guitars to cabinets to my first DIY hammock.

So naturally I've been ordering lengths of zing-it and Amsteel from Dutch for whoopie slings and ridge lines and of course learning how to do it from the forums.

I owned a grand trunk ultra light for about a year when I realized that as an individual who is 6'4" I am too tall for that thing. I decided it was time to replace it. But of course I had to make it myself this time. I ordered 3 yards of argon from Dutch and went to work.

I sewed zigzag rolled seams all the way down the length of the 12 feet. Then I decided to try to gather the ends whip them and find the magic length. I convinced myself I would untie it and sew the end seams later.

Found the magic length (11') and now later has come around. Now the question:

Do I need to sew the end seams? I assumed originally they were just there to keep the suspension from sliding off. But I haven't noticed any slipping.

Thanks!

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I've made somewhere around 8-9 gathered end (and whipped) hammocks so far.

I do believe that you need to hem the ends. Not because it will fray, but because the rolled hem will make things larger by doubling/trippling the thickness of the edge, it is literally thicker behind the whipping, and cannot slide through the whipping, which has tightened to the thickness of one layer of fabric.

I have noticed that the whipping starts to slide a bit, and without it I'd be afraid it would fall out if I didn't re-whip it from time to time (if it wasn't hemmed). The hammock I noticed this on, took about a year for it to slide towards the end, if that helps at all. So its not like if you don't hem it, that you'll get dropped all of a sudden as everything falls apart. So if you decide not to, just inspect your gear before you head out .

Good luck with whatever you do .

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My advice is do a hem. It’s your insurance. You won’t get any kind of warning IF its slides over the edge and you will drop hard on the ground like if a cord snaps.
    Hem.png
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Hennessy expl./ DIY 11.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I have made a few 11.5'ers using 4 yards of material. I hemmed the long sides and on the ends I folded 3" and folded that again and triple stitched with about 1/2 between starting from the inside. This will create a channel so that you can run a continuous loop that you can easily make from your am steel(28" will make you a 8" loop" then just run that into the channel, larks head then larks head your whooped on to that. Poof, a nice large comfy DIY. Then make yourself an adjustable ridge line so you can hang "stuff" and get a nice sag. this forum is awesome!!!
    Where would we be without the ability to let our minds wander. And where would we go if our emotions were submerged down under our souls. Their master control plan will fail, as the young minds prevail, in pure genetic wisdom. Give me the power!!!

• + New Posts