WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

ENO "channel end" is Flatter?

So, on facebook, I saw some discussion about ENO hammocks...I was just browsing through their website the other day and notice (among other things) that nearly all their hammocks are between 9 and 10 feet in length.

The common accepted wisdom on this forum is that, your height in relation to the length of the hammock has some effect on your lay...and stemming from that, some general guidelines seem to pop up, things like "if you are over about 5'10", go for 11 feet" or the same rule but the cut off is at 6'0" or above, go to 11 feet. etc....

I always took such online collective hammock wisdom to be a general rule, among many things that effect overall perception of "hammock comfort"...

But in the discussion, an ENO user was informing me that he could get a much more flat lay in the single ENO when hung properly, and posted a photo of the ENO hung at a near zero degree hang angle and stated he was 6 foot 1 inches (same as me actually) and that when he is in it, he is extremely flat.

This was attributed to the "channel end" nature of his ENO, and that in this configuration one does not use sag, a ridgeline, and lay on a diagonal....

"The difference with an Eno is the channel end. I am 6' 1" and have never had a problem. They are a lay flat hammock, not a Brazilian that requires a ridgeline and cross lay. People do not understand that about ENOs. They typical gathered end (insert brands listed above in the main post) are designed to be longer so you can cross lay with a ridgeline."

I also understood that my ridgeline is not at all necessary, but instead it simply is a tool to allow me to keep a consistent "sag" with some variation of different angles and such...

Also, my brother has an ENO, it (for me) did not seem as flat of a lay when we back yard camped last fall....but man was that thing durable...I think it was rated for over 400 lbs...anyway, but at that zero degree hang angle, I kinda would worry about the tension on the fabric would risk a tear....I mean, the ENO looked more robust than "old green bean", but still....

Anyway...I found the discussion interesting, novel even, as I had never seen anyone suggest that by not laying asym in such a hammock, that one could be flatter...only saw that for bridge hammocks...

Other ENO users on HF here care to share similar experience as that was new to me?

Thanks!

I have an ENO DN - I don't think that is correct. Beside the tremendous forces you would be putting on whatever you are attaching to with a "zero degree" hang angle, it doesn't sound like it would be very comfortable. My ENO DN went up in comfort by an order of magnitude when I added an SRL at 83%. It was night and day.

In terms of the strength, well, it's a heavy hammock. I don't have an issue with it, I still keep it and use it, but not for overnight sleeping.

The end channel is basically constructed like any other GE hammock I've seen, so I don't think there's any mystery there.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A 0* degree hang angle is real intelligent, just as hanging banana style is also comfortable! Consider the source where you got this information.

Nothing special about channel ends - every hammock I own has a channel end (none from ENO).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    This one time at Walmart I sat in a Ferrari......SOOOO.... I am now a Ferrari expert and I think that the 12000000 horse power version is defiantly the way to go. I mean come on anyone that has ever seen the 1200000000000 horsepower Ferrrrariee in action would know. It's all like ZOOOOOOMMMM and stuff. And other cars with less than 1200000000000000000 horsepower just don't even come close to the ZOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM of a 1200000000000000000000000000000000 horsepower Farrrrrarieieieiieiieii.

Yep Im a total expert on this FarrririaieieieirieierieiFF stuff cause I sat in one one time.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

I guess this person knows how to use ENO hammocks better than ENO.

https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....hammock-sleep/

"....You want plenty of curve in the hammock......"
    "....you will likely try to lay parallel to the hanging bed. This is wrong. For the most comfortable position you want to start out diagonally....."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had not thought about checking the ENO website itself....good point....but I am amazed that people can even sleep in such a setup....

many other ENO users that are (for example) 6'2" described being extremely comfy and "sleeping like a puppy" in their setup....I tried my brother's ENO compared to my 11 foot hammocks (I have 2 hammocks, currently) and found I was not as flat, although I have yet to try and sleep in his.

Anyway...the fb pages seem to have a great deal of...well...I guess unorthodox opinions.

I see this forum as more useful (generally) as people meet in groups and try many many setups and share common wisdom learned...etc..

But anyway...I am now wondering just how much it would take to tear one of those hammocks at zero degree hang angle....am I a total nerd to fight an inner impulse to buy one, and try and experiment and see the limit? Ok, that impulse has left me, im too broke currently and am circling wagons on buying some more hammocks for family in the coming couple years.

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    This one time at Walmart I sat in a Ferrari......SOOOO.... I am now a Ferrari expert and I think that the 12000000 horse power version is defiantly the way to go. I mean come on anyone that has ever seen the 1200000000000 horsepower Ferrrrariee in action would know. It's all like ZOOOOOOMMMM and stuff. And other cars with less than 1200000000000000000 horsepower just don't even come close to the ZOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM of a 1200000000000000000000000000000000 horsepower Farrrrrarieieieiieiieii.

Yep Im a total expert on this FarrririaieieieirieierieiFF stuff cause I sat in one one time.

lol..............

Hammock
    ENO Camonest XL
    Tarp
    $12 walmart tarp
    Insulation
    Pad/ Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    ENO Whoppie Slings
    Cool to see some people's opinions on ENO hammocks. I have the ENO DN. It's my first and only hammock. I am 5'11 and I almost think the 9ft is too long. Maybe it's because I'm new to this but I have never had a bad experience sleeping in it. Every time I sleep through the whole night and I am extremely comfortable. I don't use a ridge line or anything. I don't even own a sleeping pad. Just a sleeping bag and the hammock. I'd like to get a UQ but that's a different topic. Just saying, I love my ENO.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    But anyway...I am now wondering just how much it would take to tear one of those hammocks at zero degree hang angle....am I a total nerd to fight an inner impulse to buy one, and try and experiment and see the limit? Ok, that impulse has left me, im too broke currently and am circling wagons on buying some more hammocks for family in the coming couple years.
    I'm glad it left...a 0 degree hang angle with a 200# man would generate ~1200lbs of force on each end...

Quote Originally Posted by HopMaster View Post
    Cool to see some people's opinions on ENO hammocks. I have the ENO DN. It's my first and only hammock. I am 5'11 and I almost think the 9ft is too long. Maybe it's because I'm new to this but I have never had a bad experience sleeping in it. Every time I sleep through the whole night and I am extremely comfortable. I don't use a ridge line or anything. I don't even own a sleeping pad. Just a sleeping bag and the hammock. I'd like to get a UQ but that's a different topic. Just saying, I love my ENO.
    I slept great in my ENO DN after I got it, certainly I would choose it over sleeping on the ground any day of the week. But I found a 10.5' hammock to be even more comfortable than the ENO DN, so it was a matter of going from good to great.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    ENO Camonest XL
    Tarp
    $12 walmart tarp
    Insulation
    Pad/ Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    ENO Whoppie Slings
    Gotcha. That makes since. I have not laid in anything other then my ENO ha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast