Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    have a 0 under 20 top mostly camp in the high 20s as the colder temps up to 70s or so here in AZ above 5000 feet
    I like it cause here at least temps can shift HUGE in one day with little or no warning and I have it ready if needed
    even in the 50-70 range I just kick off the top quilt for me I hate wearing to much at night if you are not opposed to being more bundled at night the 20 should work fine also
    also with a family of 4 having multiple temps is $$$$

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    I live here as well, go with a pair of 20's.

That is what I did and I am quite happy with it.
    Thank you! That's what I'm gonna go with...thanks for your input.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by smwia View Post
    I live in a similar temp range (more extreme actually) as you and decided on a 20* incubator and 40* burrow with 1oz over stuff each. My hammock also has a built in overcover that supposedly adds 10-15* to the top and I have a superfly which can add warmth to a setup. Ask yourself will you really be in your hammock when it is -30ish with windchill? (if yes then i have to ask WHY?) Would you not be using your superfly with door closed in the wind? Even if you camp year round, is it really anywhere close to 50/50 or rare in january? Personally I don't have a desire to camp in jan or feb so I didn't consider that in my decision. I was thinking more about a cold early may night at 3am in northern ontario. I personally think a 0/0 combination as your only set is way over-kill for the average person considering the average person does 95% of their camping from may-october.
    Thanks for your response...you're right, the topcover and Superfly should help me keep shelter/warm...and why camp in -30? To see if I can do it!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    have a 0 under 20 top mostly camp in the high 20s as the colder temps up to 70s or so here in AZ above 5000 feet
    I like it cause here at least temps can shift HUGE in one day with little or no warning and I have it ready if needed
    even in the 50-70 range I just kick off the top quilt for me I hate wearing to much at night if you are not opposed to being more bundled at night the 20 should work fine also
    also with a family of 4 having multiple temps is $$$$
    I don't even want to think of how expensive this could get if I were buying gear for a whole family! Thanks for your input Sir.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I don't use a 0* top quilt at all. Just double up with lighter weight quilts or quilt and sleeping bag combinations. I like the warmth of my 0* underquilt when it is COLD but, it is uncomfortable at more modest temps and it takes up a huge amount of room in my pack.

When do you plan to do the majority of your camping?
    I plan to camp year round...bikepacking to be exact...load up my Fatbike and ride into the sunset (or snowbank).

I have a 0* Burrow TQ and a 0* JRB UQ and have used them from 30*F to minus 20*F comfortably. Vent the top if needed or sometimes just keep it on my lower half and wear a thick fleece on my torso over my baselayer. I would rather have more and vent then have a cold nights sleep. If you know its going to over 40* I would bring just a TQ and maybe a thin pad to keep the chill of your backside. My .02

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smwia View Post
    considering the average person does 95% of their camping from may-october.
    I'm glad to not be average. I do it, but those are my least favorite months to camp. In the South, there is a cacophony of song coming from insects large enough to carry a Buick through the Chunnel. November through April you can receive a modicum of relief.

To the op, in my experience is better to have more and vent than be short and miserable. (my .015 because Uncle Sam doesn't miss his cut. Ever.)
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ultralight
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfiters
    Insulation
    15 deg. Bag and UQ
    Suspension
    Daisychain / biner
    Images
    No, don't change the rating. you will love it in the winter but might regret it in the summer, but you should stick with it because you can vent or loosen the uq in the warmer temps. Hope you get what you are looking for.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnormal View Post
    I plan to camp year round...bikepacking to be exact...load up my Fatbike and ride into the sunset (or snowbank).
    0* quilt set will be comparable to your Fatbike- Perfect for the winter rides but not the best option when the trails hard packed hot and dusty.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    0* quilt set will be comparable to your Fatbike- Perfect for the winter rides but not the best option when the trails hard packed hot and dusty.
    Thanks for the relatable analogy! I went with 20* TQ and UQ...I was loosing my mind trying to figure out what I'd need...and I settled on, "If I need to buy another TQ then I will...I have a job, I make money at my job, and I'll just buy another **** quilt if I'm sweating my arse off in the summer"...and that's why I have my Trek 520 touring bike too!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12