WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Cool Super Cold Hang in Saranac Lake NY

There will be at least 4 hammocks represented at this trip from the 11th-14th: ZSNY Winter Trip, and we are looking at getting down into the negative double digits.

This should be a great time and a real challenge for my cold weather setup. I'm looking at combining a HH Undercover with my DIY under quilts, a SG 12X12 as my enclosed winter tarp, and a poncho liner over cover with a -25 synthetic bag. I'm bringing my heated ground shelter, but hoping to only use it for daytime activities. The goal is to hang in the Hennessy down to -20F.

If anyone is interested pop on over or PM me and I'll make the introductions.

-Mike

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Looks fun. I'll have to wait until closer to the dates (FEBRUARY 11 -14, 2010) to determine if I can make it. Looks like it might be a wee bit chilly!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll keep this one in mind and see what's going on when the time gets closer. I think that I can squeak by with my Winter Yeti and Nunatak 5F quilt if I wear my PHD Yukon down pullover and pants. Should be interesting. I haven't camped in that area since attempting a late winter hike of the Northville-Lake Placid Trail many years ago. It's the only hike I ever came close to perishing on. Ahhhh... memories.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    There are some other members on this forum who want to hang in the Lake Placid region in January. Maybe you should contact them.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    There are some other members on this forum who want to hang in the Lake Placid region in January. Maybe you should contact them.
    Joggerjohn, if you meant me, Mike and I "go way back" (actually, I guess we met at a campout at Tahawus early spring 2009, and have camped together two other times since then, both canoe/kayak trips, all in the Adirondack region).

This will be my third year doing the winter camping trip he posted up about. It's a hoot! This will be my first time hanging a hammock for this trip though... This year I also plan to bring some hiking stuff and snowshoes, maybe X-country skis too. Our record overnight cold was -17F, last time around we didn't get much below zero but -30 or worse is not out of the question! The good news is, we camp very close to the vehicles, and there will likely be plenty of space among the ground dwellers if it just gets too silly cold to hang...

Hi Mike! Thanks for spreading the word!!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Festus!
    Doing my next cold weather hang test this weekend to shake down the system en route to the hyper cold ZS hang.

-Mike

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Here's the gist of my post about this trip over on ZS...

Weather.com thinks the low Saturday was -13F, the previous day -7F, and -5F on Thursday. Funny, I felt the coldest night was the second night and that the last night was "warmest", but what do I know?

Here's some things I took away.

Hammocks are colder, but worth it. Get an underquilt that matches up well with the rest of your sleep system and you'll be about as warm as the next camper... maybe warmer! I was the only one who slept in a hammock for all three nights and I'd wager I got the best sleep of anyone by a long shot!

Ipods are awesome. I used mine all three nights (ran it all night last night!) and all the way home today and it still had charge left. I didn't always keep it in an inside pocket, or even on my person at all times. Sweet. Mine's an Ipod Classic 160GB, a couple years old fwiw.

I ran no stove other than my alcohol stove. I had 100% success rate boiling enough water for all of my meals, plus Nalgenes full of water to keep in my cooler (to keep the rest thawed), and various doses of hot cocoa. I've read the phrase "alcohol stoves are no good for winter camping" or "alkie stoves won't work under 30F", but I think they could be more accurately translated as "I dunno how to use an alcohol stove when it's chilly out." (Selecting the right stove design is a big first step, mine is a white-box knockoff with a fiberglass wick)

A Fiskars Sliding saw might get laughed at, but if you've got the arm and the gumption, you can cut plenty of deadfall wood up for the night's campfire.

Had a great trip and now that I've taken it down to the negative "double-digits" I'm starting to feel like a real hammock winter-camper!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Major props for that outing! wwoooooww!

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks!

It was really a beautiful trip... "good" weather with just enough snow on the last couple days to pretty things up.

I lucked into being awake on one night for some coyote song... then another night a loon came by and seemed so close I thought he might be in the campsite!

Here's a shot of most of our group with a quinzee one of our number spent a night in...

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Major props for that outing! wwoooooww!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Nice! I love the Adirondacks in winter (and the summer, the fall, the spring...). Going up this weekend in fact.

I have the gerber version of that saw. It is an amazing little tool. Cuts wood like butter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast