Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I forgot my coffee mug in The Gorge last weekend.
    You should definitely include a coffee mug into your next no-knot-nothing-left-behind-suspension.
    : )

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm totally committed to sewn, triple stitched channels. I've never even tried the various other methods because the sewn channel works great.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    What would you estimate the weight capacity of an amsteel continuous loop/larkshead pulled through triple sewn channels to be? I like the aesthetics of that approach much better than the 'whipped ball' rig, but I'm a BIG guy and want to make sure the channel would hold under pressure.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    On coffee mug--babaloo, I tried to heat water with disposable hot hands hand warmers. It did not work when warmers were stuck on tee shirt wrapped around mug. I might try warmers directly on mug. I have lots of ideas--but most of them don't work well enough to keep.
    Gathered or knotted hammock ends. Maybe use the way that is easiest or cheapest or lightest. One way to see what works best now is to observe at a hang--how many gathered ball compared to whipping and other.
    Sometimes there is collective wisdom in our choices of hammocks as a group and sometimes choices change as new gear is made. Now if I can remember to pack my mug...

Images
    Has anyone done a side by side w various methods on same material Comparing easiest cheepest lightest most durable weight limits ect.??? I would be interested in seeing a thread or a video or whatever. I guess we are all just learning here and the standards have yet to be set but some of us might just be capable of taking some educated guesses. Certainly the sellers must have some experience after building so many.

What do you say??

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Apex Tarp
    Insulation
    Static V Luxe
    Suspension
    1" Nylon Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdflint View Post
    Shug... can you use 7/64 amsteel for tie instead of straps or thick rope ????
    im 6' 230lbs and i have not had any problems using 7/64 amsteel for ridgeline, whipping, or continuous loops even when hanging in the 5-15 degree angles

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    There are a bunch of methods mentioned here and they all work, it's not just personal preference because each method does something a little different.

Whip method ala JustJeff- Gather the ends in several different methods. The ends can be pulled at different points to "make" the hammock a little more Asym on both ends or footboxesque on the footend. The ends are gathered and whipped with whatever cord you want. The cord is not load bearing and the suspension is hitched onto the hammock body next to the whipping.

Ball gather. A very small channel is sewn as the hem and the whipping cord is fed inside it. Again any size cord can be used because the channel nor the cord is load bearing. This will gather the end to a symmetrical shape creating a ball or can be sewn at an angle to make an Asym hammock. Hitch the suspension on the hammock body next to the ball.

These above are Gathered End Hammocks with the Whipped Ends being adjustable if you take it apart and do it again how you want.

The Sewn Channel End Hammock is a load bearing channel end. This needs to be triple stitched for safety and an appropriate sized cord used inside the channel. Feed the cord, loop, suspension thru the channel and connect to the rest of the suspension. You can leave as is or use a mini spreader bar a few inches wide to widen the lay of the hammock a bit.

Hope this helps.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I had both my DIY hammocks knotted at one time. When you knot a hammock they say to pull the edge seams through the knot a little more than the rest of the fabric so your hammock will have an edge. I didn't like the way one was knotted so I started to undo it and tie it again (pretty hard to untie after it was loaded) I got it untied and wanted to flatten the fabric before knotting it again so I ironed it. I had ironed the material several times before, but this time the iron was too hot and I put a hole in it. I cut the end of the material off that end and sewed channels in each end to gather and whip it. I was able to cut off about 15" of fabric and end up with the same size hammock. Obviously this was lighter, and I was better able to control how short each edge was, i.e. How cupped the edges were. I don't take my other hammock backpacking or I would redo that one as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    On my tablecloths, I just gather the end, run a 15" amsteel dogbone around about 4 times (twice over and twice under the standing end), feed one loop through the other, pull tight, and hang my suspension from the free loop. I skip the stitching and the whipping and at ~300 lbs I have yet to pull the fabric through the wrapped amsteel.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Using your Dogbone suspension as a Whipping and Suspension is a great double duty item. Good job.

There are many methods to "scientifically" work on. There should be plenty of testing done to make sure a good night's sleep can be accomplished. I recommend at least 7 nights per method to make sure on your results.

It's science. It takes time and perseverance to get it right. Now go sleep....for science's sake.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast