What an amazing forum. I thought I knew a lot about hammock camping until I came here...

I've been 3 season camping on bicycle trips in Europe for the last 2 years using an HH Expedition. It was cheap and comfortable though I've always had insulation issues. I got the under cover and pad last December and they helped once I figured out how to use them (get the pad chords as tight as possible) but I still find it hard to keep warm all over. I've also never set it up in anything anywhere near 3 minutes. It takes a lot of adjustment to get it just right or even close.

I'm almost 6 foot tall and I've come to the conclusion that the Exped is not really big enough for me though I've slept very comfortably every time I've used it, or at least a lot more comfortably than lying on the ground. I was thinking about upgrading to the Explorer size and was looking for reviews when I came across this forum and a post that mentioned Warbonnet. That changed everything! Underquilts were also a revelation and seem like the prefect way to solve all my temperature issues.

I'm going to be in southern Italy starting in February but before then I want to have a whole new hammock camping system. Here's my list so far:
- WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.7 with Adjustable webbing
- SuperFly (in slate gray for stealth)
- JRB Hudson River UQ (should I get regular or long for the Blackbird?)
- JRB Suspension System
- JRB Tarp Line & STL Set

If I left out any other essential items please let me know. I can pick up aluminum stakes anywhere. I have a tendency to loose them anyway and have to resort to sticks and things.

Other gear I use includes:
Bike Friday New World Tourist folding travel bike!
Bushbuddy stove
Trangia Stove
Smart Wool layers & socks
Snow Peak 2L ti pot
Mountain Hardware Ultra Lamina 32 bag
3 Zetas Pamplona 1.5 L wine skin!

I have hung (or slung?) in many interesting places and have developed a number of personal techniques. Maybe I'll write about them in some future posts.

Prost!
Eric in Berlin, Germany