Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5

What topquilt do you use?

So I live in NC and got a topquilt from Arrowhead Equipment. With the general temps in NC, I decided to go with the 3 season, but after using it on a couple of trips, it seems a bit hot to me. Thinking about selling it and going with the 1 season instead but I was wondering if anyone else in the Eastern states has any experience with it and what your thoughts are. How thick/what rating of topquilt do you generally use in eastern U.S.? My thoughts are if I get too cold with the 1 season , I can just supplement with clothing and be fine. Just tossing thoughts around and thought I'd ask for opinions from others with experience .
    Last edited by Tenshi; 02-28-2016 at 22:29.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hi Tenshi, I am also in NC. I had those same questions. I went with a 20 degree set TQ and UQ from Hammock Gear. I wanted one set that could handle most situations. I recently used them in Linville Gorge down to 12 degrees with a winter sock plus extra clothes and was fine. I tend to backpack when it is warmer more often and had concerns about being too warm. Spring and Autumn months the 20 set is perfect. Middle of summer I either will not use the quilts, or hang the UQ very loose and take a light blanket.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    I would keep the quilt you have, and buy a Costco down quilt and sew a foot box. Super easy to do. I used a sewing machine, but you could easily do it by hand or with the pressed in snaps. I rate it at 40 degrees for me personally, but I'm a warm sleeper.

TOP QUILT.jpgIMG_0183.JPG
    Last edited by chromedome; 02-29-2016 at 14:50.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Hi Tenshi, I am also in NC. I had those same questions. I went with a 20 degree set TQ and UQ from Hammock Gear. I wanted one set that could handle most situations. I recently used them in Linville Gorge down to 12 degrees with a winter sock plus extra clothes and was fine. I tend to backpack when it is warmer more often and had concerns about being too warm. Spring and Autumn months the 20 set is perfect. Middle of summer I either will not use the quilts, or hang the UQ very loose and take a light blanket.
    That 20° set is great and I use mine 80% of the time. I also have a 40 TQ and only use it when the low is 45°+. And my 0° doesn't see much use, especially with this stupid winter.

If you have a down jacket with you, lay it loosely across your body and that will boost your TQ bigtime, but obviously only on the area it's covering. The point is that you don't want to bring a bunch of clothing just to stay warm. But if you already have it, it can be put to use.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I'm a bit north of you, but I actually have three TQs depending upon the weather. I have a 10* Loco Libre for the cold temps and two Costco throws that I made. One is beefed up with 5 extra ounces of down and has gotten me down to about 28. The other was stock (as far as fill) and is good to about 45ish (haven't really pushed it). It can be an easy project or an involved project to convert a throw, but it's well worth it.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Mostly wondering is the 1 season (45 degree) would be sufficient or wouldn't be warm enough. I don't mind using with my melanzana fleece to boost the temp. I just don't want to sell the one I have to find the 1 season inadequate for nc temps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    20º HG Burrow is my main TQ. I previously was using a silk liner for "Summer Heat". I then purchased the Thermarest Liner that is suppose to add 15 degrees to a bag for "Spring Heat" and hoping to supplement my 20º TQ to go lower. However, I never used the Liner because I found out it was 14oz. Instead, I purchased the 50º UGQ Flight Jacket at just 10.35oz. I often carry both in temps from under 20º up to 45º. Above 45º, I just take the 50º. The DIY options are much cheaper; however, the Flight Jacket is wonderfully light and adds such wonderful versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
    Mostly wondering is the 1 season (45 degree) would be sufficient or wouldn't be warm enough. I don't mind using with my melanzana fleece to boost the temp. I just don't want to sell the one I have to find the 1 season inadequate for nc temps.
    If I were to go with just one top quilt, it would be rated at 30F. With extra clothes that can be brought down to the 20s or teens if needed. More difficult to bring a 45F quilt to 20s or lower.

Also, consider the weight and bulk of a warmer quilt vs extra clothes. As a guide, I am using Enlightened Equipment quits. A 40F 800 down quilt, regular length and wide, weighs about 14.5oz. That same quilt at 30F weighs about 17.5oz (gain of 3 oz). At 20F that quilt weighs about 19.5oz (gain of 5oz over 40F rating). So, for 5oz more weight, one has a quilt rated at 20F. How much weight in clothing is needed to bring a 40F quilt to 20F? Probably much more than 5oz. Additionally, 5oz of 800 down does not consume much more space in a pack, yet the extra clothes need to bring a 40F quilt to 20F would be considerably more.

Unless you are one of the folks who sleep in the same clothing in which you hiked, then from both a space and weight perspective, it is better to have a warmer quilt.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    ZPacks Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    EE Rev. TQ/Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    New Englander checking in. I use a 30F Revelation from Enlightened Equipment. I've toyed with the idea of adding down to make it a bit loftier, but honestly I've never been cold in it so I probably won't make the effort. I do have a liner that I use (the one that gbolt mentioned, didn't realize it was 14oz!!!), but that is partly to keep dirt/grime/oils from getting the bag too dirty while I'm out in the woods and partly to add warmth. Very happy with the 30F rating, and happy to supplement with layers if forecast is into the 20s or lower at night.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I am in the North East, I have a 30* UQG Zeppelin, a MAMW Wright and a OWL Summer Series. Depending on the weather, I will mix and match. The zeppelin is nice, but i have found that i actually prefer two layers, i sleep better that way for some reason. I sleep cold, so i frequently will bring the Wright and another bag. The Wright packs down to the size of a large orange as does the OWL SS TQ.

Depending on how you sleep, you could consider getting two one season bags and then layering them in colder weather. Personally, i would keep the 30* quilt and then get a lighter weight quilt for warmer seasons.
    Discretion is the better of valor

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast