Tarp
    Kelty and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Cocoon
    Suspension
    My whoopie/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timsdl72 View Post
    I've not been able to extensively test other methods but I can tell you that my 2nd night, the reflectix slid a bit and my left shoulder wasn't on it. It was immediately noticeable. Reflecting properties aside, it's a wind block.

As for reflecting properties, I played with it a bit around the house and I'm a believer. I had a piece left over from making some cup cozies. Simply sitting on the couch with my feet on a footstool and wearing shorts, I placed a small piece over my legs. Definitely felt warmer.
    I have a dutch double layer. I tried with a 16" X 7 ' inside it yesterday..Was great and did not move.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Reflectix from HD or Lowes, etc., works very well. The 16" taped together with duct tape to make a 32" wide pad that will fold to a 16" wide roll is my preference, but a single 24" length should work well also.

+19. Exactly. Ive found making a pad big enough to fold over and double up in reflectix is just a little bigger than a ccf but i can sit on snow and ice and be warm.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timsdl72 View Post
    ...As for reflecting properties, I played with it a bit around the house and I'm a believer. I had a piece left over from making some cup cozies. Simply sitting on the couch with my feet on a footstool and wearing shorts, I placed a small piece over my legs. Definitely felt warmer.
    Agreed, just don't go throwing R-values around and making decisions based on them.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 11.5'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben /w doors
    Insulation
    BurrowTQ/KoalaUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunr View Post
    Most of my hammocking is in temps from 15 degrees F to minus 20 degrees F. I use a reflectix pad along with my 0* TQ and 0* UQ. The first hang under 10 degrees i got pretty wet from condensation. Since then, I sleep in a Vapor Barrier suit and I never have to worry about it. I had a sauna suit from Dicks but it tore so last hang I wore my rain pants and a white 35 gallon stretch trashbag with head and arms cut out of it. The reflectix pad makes quite a difference IMHO.

I will never go back to sleeping without this. A thin Polypro long underwear set and then the Vapor Barrier. I never have to worry about my down getting wet on consecutive night trips. I can over insulate and bring 1 setup for multiple temps and sweating into my down is never an issue. if it goes below 0 with the VB suit I can usually just add clothing and take my 0* setup well below its rating. Condensation is eliminated, the list of pros goes on. When I wake up I am usually just a little damp and with a quick change I am in my dry hike/camp clothes and the poly dries even in below freezing conditions. I could just leave the poly base layer on and hike it dry almost immediately.
    How wet are you under your suit? Are you not getting drenched in that suit? I am very intrigued. Please give more details.
    Life's a game. Play HARD!

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Agreed, just don't go throwing R-values around and making decisions based on them.
    On BPL, there was some discussion about reflective coatings. Basically the heat reflection only works when there is an air gap between the heat source (your body) and the reflective surface - if there isn't an air gap, then conduction takes over and you don't the "90% heat reflected back" action.

If you put the reflectix sheet over your legs, then there's going to be air gaps, where your legs are not in contact with the reflectix pad - the reflective properties will kick in there. But if you cover it up with a layer of hammock fabric and then lay on it, you won't get that same effect.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    I dig my space sheet in a poncho liner for my uq. Also, a space blanket works well. But not for the real cold, just for the cool
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 03-16-2016 at 08:23. Reason: Spelling
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

If weight and bulk are not issues, pretty hard to do better than a CCF pad. Inexpensive and a far better r-value than Reflectix.

Of course an UQ is the ultimate goal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12