WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Bugnet and Top Quilt questions

Hi everyone, I'm zeroing in on my theoretical setup and I first want to say thanks to everyone here on the forums and at the Millpond hang last Feb.

Here are a couple questions I'm trying to squeeze into one thread:

In the warmer weather when you don't need a pad or underquilt generally means the bugs are also out; are there problems with mosquitos biting through a single or even double layer from underneath while sleeping?

General TQ question:
    I've almost exclusively used mummy bags in the past and have come to really like the "hood" coverage in cold weather. I want to include a down top quilt in my next setup but I'm concerned about shoulder, neck and head getting cold without having to pull my jacket up over my head at night. Has anyone that made this transition and been unhappy? (I feel like this is a silly question who's answer will simply be to wear a toboggan, but maybe there's some other input out there.)

Thank you!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Look at Wilderness logics king quilt. The ability to cinch it up around the shoulders is fantastic. And yes...I wear a tobaggan.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbed my toe View Post

In the warmer weather when you don't need a pad or underquilt generally means the bugs are also out; are there problems with mosquitos biting through a single or even double layer from underneath while sleeping?

Thank you!
    Permethrin is your friend. Alternatively, a separate bug-net that encloses the whole hammock will work. My understanding is that mosquitoes and etc. can bite through a single layer but a double layer usually defeats them. I have not tested this theory personally. Good luck!

Yes, I've been bitten through the bottom of the hammock I have thought of putting on permethrin, but haven't yet. Usually I leave the quilt on now. Sometimes I'll take a lite blanket and lay on that for bug protection.

The hat usually does the trick for keeping the head warm at night.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Hats and balaclavas do wonders. Check out the ones over at Black Rock Gear, they are great: https://www.blackrockgear.com/gear/

As far as making the transition, I am obviously biased because I like quilts enough to have started making them, but I don't think you should be nervous about using one. They are terrific and very functional. I actually incorporate shock cord into the side seams of mine to help prevent drafts, to combat exactly what you are describing. There is a video on the MARCY 20 page you can check out and I actually am finishing up a few videos that try and show the features in more detail that should be on the site this weekend.

http://www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.../MARCY_20.html
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Hi everyone, I'm zeroing in on my theoretical setup and I first want to say thanks to everyone here on the forums and at the Millpond hang last Feb.

Here are a couple questions I'm trying to squeeze into one thread:

General TQ question:
    I've almost exclusively used mummy bags in the past and have come to really like the "hood" coverage in cold weather. I want to include a down top quilt in my next setup but I'm concerned about shoulder, neck and head getting cold without having to pull my jacket up over my head at night. Has anyone that made this transition and been unhappy? (I feel like this is a silly question who's answer will simply be to wear a toboggan, but maybe there's some other input out there.)

Thank you!
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/down-hood/
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Most topquilts have an option at the top where you snap together a loop, and put it over your head and then tighten it up from inside with some shock cord. It cozies you up and keeps the warmth in. I combine that with a toque on my head and I stay nice and warm all night.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. Looking forward to year-round capabilities!

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    General TQ question:

Thank you!
    i don't like my melon to be cold while I'm sleeping, so in the colder temps, my pajamas forego a shirt of whatever kind for a hoodie. although a good beanie is always a welcome choice when its cold, day or night. I'm in Mescalero apache land, so I'm trying to get a pair of moccasins for at-camp/day hike type stuff, those would be worn inside the hammock in the cold as well; i wear my grandpa-houseshoes in the hammock when its cold now.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

• + New Posts