Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

I need some COLD weather help!

I'll be out the next 2 nights. The weather is supposed to hit lows in the high teens Sadly,I'm really looking forward to this! I'll be car camping so I can take all the insulation I'll need. I just figured I'd throw out there what I have, and what you all think would work. At my disposal I have:
    KAQ Lost River UQ (taking for sure)
    Big Agnes Insulated Aircore, full length
    2 older Thermarest's, one full length, one 3/4
    1 Wally World blue pad, along with about another 1/2 pad
    SPE
    Dri Ducks poncho undercover (Thanks Happy Camper)
    Montbell UL SS #2
    North face Blue Kazoo (over the top of my MB?)

I'll be using my Superfly so the doors will help too. I've done years of winter camping, but this will be my first winter hang. I'm good on the clothing end, hat or balaclava, gloves, down booties, etc... Which route would you experienced winter hangers take with what I have? Thanks!!!!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    you have plenty of under-insulation there to choose from. I am not as familiar with the two sleeping bags, my guess is they would be fine together. For someone not experienced in the cold weather hang what *I* would do is as follows:

(from top to bottom)

Kazoo
    MB
    -you-
    wallyworld pads
    full thermarest
    KAQ
    poncho weathershield

if you search for some of my posts you will see what i have used in sub-zero temps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    remind me what the two bags and the KAQ are rated at for temps...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I'll be out the next 2 nights. The weather is supposed to hit lows in the high teens Sadly,I'm really looking forward to this! I'll be car camping so I can take all the insulation I'll need. I just figured I'd throw out there what I have, and what you all think would work. At my disposal I have:
    KAQ Lost River UQ (taking for sure)
    Big Agnes Insulated Aircore, full length
    2 older Thermarest's, one full length, one 3/4
    1 Wally World blue pad, along with about another 1/2 pad
    SPE
    Dri Ducks poncho undercover (Thanks Happy Camper)
    Montbell UL SS #2
    North face Blue Kazoo (over the top of my MB?)

I'll be using my Superfly so the doors will help too. I've done years of winter camping, but this will be my first winter hang. I'm good on the clothing end, hat or balaclava, gloves, down booties, etc... Which route would you experienced winter hangers take with what I have? Thanks!!!!
    Sounds like you might be good for about minus 40 if you find a way to layer all of that!

OK, you are already well experienced with winter camping. So whatever you would normally use on top- whichever bag(or bags) layered with whatever clothing- should all be about the same. The only real dif top wise is if you are used to a sealed up tight 4 season tent instead of a tarp. There can be some winter advantages to either set up. But the trick with the tarp will be making sure it is sealed up around the windward sides or ends well enough to keep the wind chill minimal. At the same time, you may have to be careful about causing too much condensation if you are too tightly closed off. This can all be a bit different than tents- pros and cons.

As I'm sure you now, it's on the bottom where the major difference will come in, assuming you are already well experienced with tarps. With an SPE and most any two of those pads stacked under your torso, and some pads or clothing in the wings to protect your shoulders, I would think you would be good to go in the teens. I have been toasty at a 20 or a little colder ( no wind, all dry) with an SPE, Thermarest full length Ridgerest CCF, and a 25 year old 1" thick TR ultralight( their thinnest self inflating torso length) stacked in an SPE. I did have a 5* bag on top, but I ended up using it as a quilt on top. But either way my back was toasty warm, just pads, no UQ or HHSS. But, people vary.

I don't know the capabilities of the KAQ Lost River. But I would start with that and maybe the Driducks under cover and be ready to add an SPE with one or more pads if you feel cold. Looks to me like you have got it "covered", as long as you can block wind and rain/snow. WhooooBuddy! Have fun!

Where are you going camping, and at what elevation?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have the Northface Blue Ox sleeping bag and my sons have the Blue Kazoo. They are the same bag except the Blue Ox has a few extra inches in the shoulders and hips. They are 15* 600fp down bags. I use mine as my top quilt in the WBBB and have been toasty into the 30s. I'd run it through the dryer with a couple of tennis balls to get the loft up. With both bags, you should have plenty of top insulation.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Nalgene hot water bottle in wool sock.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

Where are you going camping, and at what elevation?
    I'll be here http://www.nps.gov/archive/labe/content/webcam.htm

I figure I'll start with the UQ, SPE & the long Thermarest. I've camped here many times in the teens using a SD Alpha tent, the MB bag & the BA pad. Winter is the best time to explore the place. The rattlers are denned up now, there everywhere the rest of the year

Nalgene hot water bottle in wool sock.
    I've never tried this before. I'm going to this time!

I'm probably over analyzing this whole thing, I tend to do that...
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    that sounds good i m not much of a pad user in a hammock just thought about getting rid of all my thermarest.
    the underq will help alot the down booties are my fave because it seems that its my feet that always get cold i have a # 3 and i would use both just in case cause the # 3 worked in to the mid 30s but with insulation worn. i think that the most important thing to worry about is the heat being carried away by the wind from your back. the weather shield will help alot.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I'll be here http://www.nps.gov/archive/labe/content/webcam.htm

I figure I'll start with the UQ, SPE & the long Thermarest. I've camped here many times in the teens using a SD Alpha tent, the MB bag & the BA pad. Winter is the best time to explore the place. The rattlers are denned up now, there everywhere the rest of the year

I've never tried this before. I'm going to this time!

I'm probably over analyzing this whole thing, I tend to do that...
    4791 feet, at that latitude, not surprised in the teens. Saw some rain/snow in the forecast also. Have they got trees for hammock hanging?

Hot water bottle is an major help, as long as there is no chance of spilling!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Your set up would have me sweating at the temps you are expecting. So I think you will be "golden".
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast