Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY

Newbie in a home made hammock

Hi Guys,
    I was interested in hammock sine quite a while ago. After looking around I found this forum and the home made gear section. This forum definitely has an extensive information and a lot of useful tips.
    Instead of buying one I decided to build one myself. I decided on the bridge hammock version since it looks like it will give me the most level sleeping position.

Basically I use 2 different length of spreader bar, and 2 different material, nylon taffeta for the inner side, and an unknown ripstop nylon for the outer skin. Mostly for strength and also the taffeta has a nice silky smooth feeling to it.
    This project is also a steep learning curve in pretty much for a lot of things.

I do have some issues though, first of all the prices of material here in Australia is very expensive. Next time I will buy instead of making one unless I have cheaper source of material. I am still looking for a material to make the mosquito net and tarp.
    My other issue also related to the motion sickness I felt in laying in the hammock. The hammock gentle sways actually making me sick. Any suggestions anyone?

This picture is taken when I test my hammock in the backyard.

Greetings and many thanks,
    Ray

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hey Ray, welcome aboard!
    There has been a couple others that have asked about keeping the hammock from swaying. Maybe someone can find one of those threads & you can see the suggestions made. But who knows, you may get to like the swaying in time... I know I do!
    Have you seen the HF Google map on the home page? There are several HF members "Down Under", including one not far from you.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Motion sickness is a mind trick. It has something to do with your mind and your eyes not being able to communicate effectively.

Say your on a boat, and its dark. Your mind knows your moving but your eyes can not focus on anything because its dark. So your eyes have no point of reference, and the motion sickness kicks in.

Ive found... and I get very motion sick... If I can close my eyes prior to feeling sick, Im fine. If I wait to long and I start feeling ill, closing my eyes makes it worse. Sometimes I can muscle through it...

And since I suck at descriptions..

What causes motion sickness?

Motion is sensed by the brain through three different pathways of the nervous system that send signals coming from the inner ear (sensing motion, acceleration, and gravity), the eyes (vision), and the deeper tissues of the body surface (proprioceptors). When the body is moved intentionally, for example, when we walk, the input from all three pathways is coordinated by our brain. When there is unintentional movement of the body, as occurs during motion when driving in a car, the brain is not coordinating the input, and there is thought to be discoordination or conflict among the input from the three pathways. It is hypothesized that the conflict among the inputs is responsible for motion sickness.

For example, when we are sitting watching a picture that depicts a moving scene, our vision pathway is telling our brain that there is movement, but our inner ear is telling our brains that there is no movement. Thus, there is conflict in the brain, and some people will develop motion sickness in such a situation (even though there is no motion).

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by netbug View Post
    Hi Guys,

My other issue also related to the motion sickness I felt in laying in the hammock. The hammock gentle sways actually making me sick. Any suggestions anyone?
    Great looking hammock there Ray.

As for your motion sickness. Why not add a couple of tie outs to the hammock and stake it to the ground? The Hennessy Hammocks use that system along with a couple others too.

Now you next challenge will be making end caps and a bug net for your hammock.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm sure glad I don't have the motion sickness issue. I love the swinging... more the merrier (OK, no wise cracks).
    Matter a fact, I like two trees with a little extra distance so I can swing longer. But for no swinging, trees closer together would reduce the swinging a little.
    The tie outs are a good idea. Some else suggested before that after getting positioned in the hammock, using a hiking stick or your hand reaching out to the ground to stop the hammock from swinging.
    Good job on the hammock BTW.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely add some tie outs to it. Also some mind tricks may do wonders.

My wife loves this hammock, I think there is another project coming once I can sort out all the issues I have with this one.
    I plan to use some Velcro to attach end caps, and mosquito netting. It need to be removable since it can get pretty hot here.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Here's a thread on "hammock fans".
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1537

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Thanks ..... now why didn't I think about it before.
    Looks like I'll probably have to add some sort of a ridge line to be able to hang stuff.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    FYI, the Hennessy tie outs are thin bungees so there's still some sway but it's greatly reduced.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts