Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images

Which Tarp to Buy?

i am going back and forth and back and forth over three tarps all around the same price but which to buy.
    i need a winter tarp 11x10 and these a are the lucky three

jacks r better 11x10 cat tarp
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/11%20x%2...Cat%20Tarp.htm

backwoods winter dream

http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/tarps.htm

ed speers winter tarp

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

please give in put maybe you have one of these and have good or bad things to say

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I have a couple of JRB 11'x10' tarps, and have seen the Speer winter tarp up close and personal. For my use they are equivalent. The JRB is designed to be oriented 90 degrees and be used in a Baker's Hut configuration, but that's not my style. For me they are both very nice 11'x10' sheets of silnylon under which I can get a bridge hammock very easily, even with one end sealed up vertically.

Both have sewn tie-out tabs with no re-enforcement, and here one of the major difference with the backwoods tarp seems to lie. I have not seen a backwoods tarp, but assuming it is like OES tarps with respect to tie-outs (as the web-site visually suggests), it is a point worth considering.

I put a lot of stress on one of my JRB tarps it seems, for the tab stitching started to pull away from the tarp. I'm a DIY kind of guy and I can deal with this with a thread injector, but I just cannot see that happening with one of my OES tarps, and I will project that the same may be true with the winter dream.

Of course there is a weight cost to re-enforcements and D-rings, and whether that's a risk/cost tradeoff you want to accept is entirely your call.

The winter dream's extra material at the doors is interesting...has someone posted pictures of this pitched with ends closed off? The photo on the site shows that it lets you pitch the tarp wide and get some coverage on the end....me, when I close off the end, I want the end closed off to as close an approximation to a wall as I can.

I ramble...

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    no thanks for the in put grizz. ramble on
    this is the kind of in put im looking for

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Hey tonejones,
    First off - JRB and Speer are excellent choices and I wouldn't want to steer you away from either of them in any way. If he's got designs that fit your bill, OES should also be in your consideration - fantastic tarps!
    I'm just happy to be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I have not seen a backwoods tarp, but assuming it is like OES tarps with respect to tie-outs (as the web-site visually suggests), it is a point worth considering.
    Yes. BDG Tarps are built with 200d coated oxford tie-out reinforcements (previously 1.9oz ripstop). Also, the webbing is very rugged, folded over and sewn onto both sides of the tie-out with a double box-stitch pattern (ridgeline tie-out has double box stitch AND three bar tacks). I'll try and get some clear pictures of these points up on the site soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The winter dream's extra material at the doors is interesting...has someone posted pictures of this pitched with ends closed off? The photo on the site shows that it lets you pitch the tarp wide and get some coverage on the end....me, when I close off the end, I want the end closed off to as close an approximation to a wall as I can.
    I'm really glad you mentioned that part Grizz. There is a new version of the Winter Dream coming out (available now, actually, but not on the site yet) where the short ends are straight cut with loops going down each side, utilizing double mitten hooks) to provide much better end enclosure than the previous design with cat-cut ends. The long sides are still catenary cut as before, so you still get a nice taut pitch.

Here are a couple photos of the new design (sort of - this one has velcro tabs instead of the mitten hooks - and it's a special order color - but it gives you the idea).

***NOTE: My tarps are gray (special order colors are occasionally possible depending on material availability with my suppliers)***
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 11-28-2009 at 23:02. Reason: clarification
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I like that tarp sc!!

Do you have a price on it yet?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I like that tarp sc!!

Do you have a price on it yet?
    Same as the original version - more work for me, same price for you.

Although, that's not entirely true. Cost will be $110.00, but for the remainder of the year I am keeping all tarp prices where I started. At the start of 2010 prices will change to better align with my production costs (I tend to underestimate these things).

Shipping is a flat $5.00 for the remainder of the year as well. USPS priority mail to 48 continental States.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    There is a new version of the Winter Dream coming out (available now, actually, but not on the site yet) where the short ends are straight cut with loops going down each side, utilizing double mitten hooks) to provide much better end enclosure than the previous design with cat-cut ends. The long sides are still catenary cut as before, so you still get a nice taut pitch.
    That's a great option. My JRB does the same, and I use mini "S-biners" to close the ends.

ToneJones, I was in your situation exactly about a month ago, and I had a very tough time deciding. I asked a few opinions, and in the end I decided that they were all good tarps and I couldn't really go wrong by buying any of them. I did have to modify my JRB with tie-outs on the 11 foot sides so I could "close the doors" while it's hung on the 11-foot ridgeline, as the 10-foot orientation just was too short for my needs (I'm tall and have long hammocks). YMMV, however.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    thanks to all for the input.
    sclittlefield I got the four season tarp from opie
    so he can buy anotherfrom you in a bright color.
    its not the winter dream but couldn't pass up the price!
    looks like a quality tarp will be using it at the Mt Rodgers hang .

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Brian at OES sells a nice 10x12 winter tarp--it's a 10 tieout configuration set up to allow for the door behavior seen in the thread. It's a surprisingly agile tarp, and works great in the wind due to the catenary cuts. It weighs ~19.5oz including seam sealing and a matching silnylon stuff sack, and costs $130.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dejoha; 11-30-2009 at 19:34. Reason: Added dimensions.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    SC, what's the ridgeline length of the new version? 11" or 13"?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast