Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first DIY

My first DIY

Well i decided to try to conquer this beast on my own. I am going to try headchanges HH clone. I went today and got some nylon ripstop for around 15 dollars. Hopefully i can get this thing done in a few days. I will post some pics as soon as i start

Enjoy the project and remember this if you do make a mistake it aint final.Making most of this type of gear is very forgiving.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bignick2112 View Post
    Well i decided to try to conquer this beast on my own. I am going to try headchanges HH clone. I went today and got some nylon ripstop for around 15 dollars. Hopefully i can get this thing done in a few days. I will post some pics as soon as i start
    I cut my DIY teeth on that one. Still have (and use) it. Good luck! Just be forwarned... once you start this horrid addiction called DIY, the support group bills will quickly pill up.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

well i found out that i cannot sew. i will have to find some one to do this for me. just a minor setback, no biggie

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    well i found out that i cannot sew. i will have to find some one to do this for me. just a minor setback, no biggie
    If this is your first sewing project, be not dismayed. We've all started with crooked stitches, and threadballs below. Jumping right into a HH clone is a big first step. You might consider backing off on expectations at first. Develop some skill at stitches starting off with small stuff sacks, for example. Screw one up, no great loss.

I found it helpful also to read up well in advance on what to expect when sitting in front of the machine. RamblinRev posted maybe a dozen videos you can find on the HF video subsite for pointers on all sorts of things w.r.t. to sewing.

Being able to make stuff opens up a whole new dimension to the camping hobby.

don't give up yet!

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very good points Grizz. Don't give up yet!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    find a connection to talk you thru the usage of the electric powered thread injector- remember- anybody can sew, but we are making GEAR!
    KM

i know this sounds corny and makes me look like i am 5 but i talked to my mom and she said she can show me how to do it. she wants me to try some small stuff first and then she thinks i will be able to tackle the task at hand

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good idea, Nick - finding a teacher doesn't sound corny! Just treat it like shop class...

And sewing ripstop (especially silnylon) is a little more difficult than other materials b/c it's thin and slippery. Take your time, keep the seamripper handy, and you'll be stuffing down underquilts to match your Hennessy clone in no time.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I agree with the advice given by others here. Try some stuff sacks out of some cheap Wally World fabric before you do ripstop or sil. The slicker fabrics are more difficult, but "you can do it". The first time I did ripstop I wanted to throw the "injector" out the door.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast