WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the comments. I ordered mine from Summit Hut, I think. They are Sierra Designs brand, black/grey in color, and they have a loop and hook on the inside part to attach to a tent pole. I've been thinking the hooks would make a nice attachment for a gear loft or clothesline under the tarp since I hang this tarp under the ridgeline.

I've heard about the need for balloons, but I'm not sure you need them on the panel pulls, as the force is perpendicular to the fabric. I can definitely see how they'd be needed if you used them for side tie-outs parallel to the fabric. OTOH, I just got this tarp and the grip-clips, so don't have much field experience beyond the backyard yet, though they held in moderate wind the other day.

I haven't left mine on the tarp. I think they would probably stay where I put them, but I'd rather take them off and replace as needed. I placed a small "x" where I like them best so I can be consistent (and know where to sew the tabs). They do stretch the fabric and leave some puckered area behind, but it's not too bad. Not sure how much wear there would be after some use, though.

That, by the way, is my main concern about these and why I think I'd like to add sewn-on pulls. I'm not sure how much abrasion that sil-nyl will take from these. Balloons might help that, though. I figure I can always take a couple along to place in different locations as needed, but honestly I can't right now think of a situation where I'd need them located anywhere else. There are so many tie-outs on this tarp that I'm not sure I'll ever use them all (though I did add four on the 11-foot sides to be able to close the doors).

The other issue making me want to sew some permanent tabs is the very real chance of losing all or part of one of the clips. They are very subdued in color and I almost lost half of one in my backyard the other day. Also, it is more "fiddling" time to set up, and I don't like to fiddle in the rain.

Otherwise, I can totally see just using these all the time and never sewing the tabs. That's why I'm not in a great hurry to get it done.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've used grip clips for panel pulls on my WB Big MJ tarp, and they definitely moved. You can still see the lines in the silnylon where the grip clips slid.

I still don't bother with balloons, but I probably should.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sewn on pull outs show true commitment!!!!!!
    A Committed Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Grip Clips

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Hey RF ... do you leave them on or take them off each time you take the tarp down? Notice any wear around the attachment point?

Hope you've had a great Thanksgiving pal! ...
    Thanks Hawk. I hope you did too.

I take them off each time as I may or may not need them and the position may not be the same. I use the "Grip Clip Light Fabric" clips and have not noticed any wear. Believe me I look!

One thing to note: the more tangential the line is, the more it may 'slip' on silnylon in the direction of the pull. Therefore I have used the for tie-outs not tie downs.

I also use them on my 'over the ridge-line' bug net to close off the ends and I attach a couple of small stuff sacks, with the BA's (basic accessories) as weights to keep bug net in place and be handy during the night.

bfulton - Balloons
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Committed

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sewn on pull outs show true commitment!!!!!!
    A Committed Shug
    I have since added (as you saw) sewn on pull outs to my tarp, ala Shug video, but still carry them for my bug net and also they allow you to place a point of attachment for anything anywhere

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Thanks again. I just ordered some. Actually I got a set of both the Light Fabric and the Micro -- I'll try both and see which works best.
    I ordered some 9 days ago, and other than the automated receipt, haven't heard a thing from them. I'm getting nervous.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Mail

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I ordered some 9 days ago, and other than the automated receipt, haven't heard a thing from them. I'm getting nervous.
    Last week was and is the busiest, bulkiest, time of the year for the PO due to holiday mailers - Keep the faith

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Another possibility

As I mentioned in another thread, for my next tarp I plan to add an extra seam (just like the ridge line seam) on each side (end to end), at the height I want my pull outs to be. I think of it as a "Central Seam"
    There will be several loops added across the outside of the extra seam. That way, I can change location of the pull outs (side to side) as I choose.
    Loops near the ends may also come into play for a removable end cover or beak.

Maybe more important though, the pull outs on this seam would be extremely strong & would add to the tarps stability in wind.
    Loops could also be added inside too. They would support a clothes line for wet clothes to drip dry, off to one side of the hammock, but under the tarp.

The "central Seam" would be added by making a fold & adding two lines of stitch.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Great idea Tim! I like it!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Just got my clips.

Can someone tell me about balloons?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast