Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema

Durability concerns with EE Revelation topquilt?

Hey all -

I'm looking to get a new bag or topquilt for both tent and hammock usage for spring/summer Rocky Mountain nights, 35-60 degrees, on top of a pad. The EE Revelation appears to be the best reviewed bag or quilt out there for $250 or under. It's also lightweight, packable, and very versatile for both hammock and ground (which is what I need).

However, it looks fragile! Reviewers say that the 10d lightweight fabric on the inside is thin enough to see the down through. Even EE's website mentions things like "you should make sure your toenails are clipped" which seems crazy to me for a piece of backpacking equipment. This brings up a couple questions:

1. How tough is this thing really? I don't want it to rip open because I forgot I had a clip for a flashlight or pocketknife on the outside of my jeans. I've never had to worry about that with my bags. The EE is a good deal, but it's also a big investment and I want a bag that can take at least SOME abuse.

2. Lots of other similar quilt options out there, but they're rarely reviewed by the big sites like Outdoor Gear Lab. What similarly priced alternatives are you comfortable saying are just as good (for both ground/hammock, wide temp range, features, lightweight packability, and excellent quality) as the Revelation, but tougher? Any downsides?

Edit: general consensus is that while all ultralite gear needs to be treated somewhat gently, many people own the Revelation and none of them here have had any problems. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a Revelation 30. I don't have an underquilt and currently use a z-lite sol pad, so ordering 10-20 degrees more warm than my climate is probably a good move.
    Last edited by QFT; 03-10-2016 at 01:11.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I have no concerns about the durability of my EE quilts (including the Revelation) - and this applies to several other cottage quilts I've tried.

That said, I wouldn't wear something with a metal quilt in any of them. Soft fabric and metal edges don't mix well.

If this concerns you for your type of use, I recommend tougher fabric than most cottage builders use.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    The trade-off for ultralight gear is almost always durability. Like FM said sharp or pointy edges are at risk of puncture or cutting fine fabrics like 1.1 ripstop, argon, m50, etc... Now I don't what brands you are looking at but cottage vendor or big box companies use the same or similar lightweight fabrics.

I would not describe quilts or sleeping bags as durable unless we are talking about the old LL Bean hand-me-down bag from my grandfather that is huge and weighs nearly 5lbs.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    For sure... I get that there are tradeoffs for the weight. I think I'm looking for a middle ground, something that is around or just over a pound, good for 35-60 degrees, and at least minimally tough. The Revelation particularly concerned me in the "tough" department because I think 10D is a step more fragile/lighter than even most quilts.

Personally, I'm willing to take on a quilt a couple ounces heavier if it means it's noticeably more durable. I'm wondering just how fragile the Revelation is compared to similar products. I was actually considering the MH Hyperlamia Spark until I read about TQs... and I'm still considering that bag because while it's still under 2 pounds, it's 22D. I'd rather get closer to 1lb with a similar quilt though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    when i was shopping for top quilts, i came across this review of the enigma: http://travelandtrail.com/2014/10/03...igma-20-quilt/ he mentions his engima has the 10d and that the seam tore around the footbox.

at the time, i asked EE if they could do the thicker fabric on both inside and outside, and they said they couldn't do that. i decided in the end to go with another shop not because of any quality or durability issue with EE, but the cost was much more favorable for the other shop. i'd love to get one of EE's enigma top quilts some day.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    i decided in the end to go with another shop not because of any quality or durability issue with EE, but the cost was much more favorable for the other shop. i'd love to get one of EE's enigma top quilts some day.
    What did you end up with and how do you like it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarps
    Insulation
    EE Top and UQ
    Working for EE, the most common damage we see is from pets who decide that quilts are a tasty snack. The 10d fabric, being pretty slippery, will avoid most accidental damage - toenails or sharp stuff falling out of your pocket are mostly an issue when you actually have the fabric kind of pinched in a way that it can't slide off. That said, repairs are easy - some tenacious tape (or mylar or fabric repair tape) can do a great job in most of the cases where a basic tear happens.
    Director of Communications - Enlightened Equipment
    www.EnlightenedEquipment.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    DryFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ / HG UG
    Suspension
    Dutched whoopies
    I love my revelation and haven't had any durability issues with normal use.

I've used my revelation all winter, every night with no socks. and I am not good about the toenails maintenance lol... No problem with durability. I did opt for the 20D exterior shell because I felt that the fabric would stay water resistant longer with the heavier weight. Durability also came into play with the decision. No regrets.

had zero

I love be my Rev. I don't consider it delicate. I've
    has zero issues with mine. went its not in my pack I keep it on the couch so it sees almost constant use (not that I'm constantly on the couch ) Like others have mentioned, any UL gear requires attention.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast