Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Mine is pretty long like 35 feet or more....it only took one experience of not being long enough that I said that's the last time that will happen.:0). That's ok really no big deal...live and learn....I'm still learning something new and I have been hanging now for over 10 years....that's why I love this site. Have fun..
    Turk3

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I use 35 ft. in Michigan, seems to work well. I always carry extra lengths of zing it in 12 ft. lengths for additional tie outs, ridgeline, whatever I might need. Handy little things they are.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    SLD's 12' Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hand-sewn 12ft-er
    Insulation
    Hand-sewn down
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Mine is only 10 long...but they use meters on this side of the pond.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    I wonder, what could be longest usable length for CRL, depending on tarp length, hammock length, suspension length, etc?

Let's call them TL, HL, SL ... Then maximal distance between 2 trees I can hang will be HL*90% + SL. CRL length can be defined as 2x - TL (where X is the distance between the same trees). Therefore, max CRL length needs to be 2(HL*90% + SL) - TL, So, in my case, TL = 10.5, SL=10 & TL=12 - my maximal CRL needs to be ~27 feet. But this calculation does not account for tree straps, or tree widths (which CLR needs to run around), so 30 ft might not be enough, while 35 ft is definitely sufficient... Now I feel much better that I have 45 ft

Edit:
    Decided to incorporate Tree Straps Length into the formula. The problem with TSL is that if the tree is thin - some of TSL might be increasing SL (which needs to be doubled by CRL) and if the tree is thick, then it's run once by CLR. Well, since we need to find max, and 2 is more than 1, we can just include total length of TSL into SL (who knows maybe we found very thin but extremely strong tree, such as a steel rod).

Revised check: My TSL seems to be 4 & 6. 2(10.5*90%+10+10)-12 = 21-2+40-8 = 19 + 32 = 51... Well, I still feel good about my 45 ft. I just know I need to hang by sturdier trees which will take at least 40% of my TSL.

Are my calculations correct?
    Last edited by BrRabbit; 03-09-2016 at 19:20.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    Revised check: My TSL seems to be 4 & 6. 2(10.5*90%+10+10)-12 = 21-2+40-8 = 19 + 32 = 51... Well, I still feel good about my 45 ft. I just know I need to hang by sturdier trees which will take at least 40% of my TSL.

LOL

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wonder, what could be longest usable length for CRL, depending on tarp length, hammock length, suspension length, etc?

Let's call them TL, HL, SL ... Then maximal distance between 2 trees I can hang will be HL*90% + SL. CRL length can be defined as 2x - TL (where X is the distance between the same trees). Therefore, max CRL length needs to be 2(HL*90% + SL) - TL, So, in my case, TL = 10.5, SL=10 & TL=12 - my maximal CRL needs to be ~27 feet. But this calculation does not account for tree straps, or tree widths (which CLR needs to run around), so 30 ft might not be enough, while 35 ft is definitely sufficient... Now I feel much better that I have 45 ft

Edit:
    Decided to incorporate Tree Straps Length into the formula. The problem with TSL is that if the tree is thin - some of TSL might be increasing SL (which needs to be doubled by CRL) and if the tree is thick, then it's run once by CLR. Well, since we need to find max, and 2 is more than 1, we can just include total length of TSL into SL (who knows maybe we found very thin but extremely strong tree, such as a steel rod).

Oofah. That's one way to complicate things beyond comprehension!

I'll stick with a 35 ft. continuous ridgeline.

EDIT: I don't think strap length or hammock suspension length plays any role in calculating how long a continuous ridgeline should be. Your continuous ridgeline supports the tarp, and the tarp is meant to keep the hammock dry, not the straps.

The marketplace could save you a lot of grief making such calculations - just look at what the vendors are selling.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 03-09-2016 at 22:07.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Spare cordage for sure. I replaced the lacing on my backpack with amsteel, so i always have 8 or 10 extra feet of it. My SLS is only 32' i think.
    Really good idea replacing lacing! Gotta try that. Use at least 35 feet. Maybe just go 40.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    But if the tarp hangs from the same trees as your hammock - we need to know the maximal distance between 2 trees your straps + suspension can support, don't we?

Then, you just calculate length of CRL based on that distance and tarp length (single run for the tarp length, double for the space between trees and tarp). I am trying to not say how long your CRL needs to be, only to estimate what is maximal length of it needs to, if you stretch your hammock and suspension fully (not that it is what you'd do in 95% of the time). And it's not exact model, more of a gestimate, feel free to round it up or down.

That sounded fairly simple, maybe I did not explain it well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    But if the tarp hangs from the same trees as your hammock - we need to know the maximal distance between 2 trees your straps + suspension can support, don't we?
    That's a separate, independent question that has nothing to do with the continuous ridgeline of a tarp. All I know is that my 11' hammock (with 110" ridgeline), 4 ft. straps, and Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension will fit between trees that are 12 ft. apart (though it's tight), and I could probably take them up to 18 ft. or longer, though I might have to add continuous loops (or dogbones) to lengthen my suspension (which I do carry).

To answer your question a different way, then I would ask the question: how do I hang between two trees 25 feet apart? Again, the answer will be different for the hammock and the tarp - they're independent. It's a lot easier to span 25 feet with a tarp than it is to span 25 feet with a hammock suspension because you'll have to mount the tree straps nearly 9 feet up the tree to maintain a 30* angle. I've done it, but it is far from ideal.

When I started hammocking, I used 10 ft. whoopie slings and 8 ft. straps because that's what I thought I needed to span 25 ft (the distance between trees in my backyard). I quickly realized that was just plain ridiculous and shortened my whoopies to 6 ft. and my straps to 4 ft. Here in the Northeast where every tree was clear cut last century, that's proved more than sufficient for the last four years. Like I said, I carry continuous loops or dogbones to lengthen my hammock suspension if I ever do meet up with old growth trees (which is extremely rare).

Use the hammock hang calculator and it will tell you all you need to know about hanging between trees 25 ft. apart.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I think you would be fine at 3x your tarp length. If your just doing a line from point A to point B, (and using some sort of tension knot) some would call this a CR.
    If your looking for a CR that does a figure 8 and connects to your tarp and runs through the split rings at the ends you may need up to 4x your tap length.
    there are many ways to set a tarp up, I use a hybrid method that can do both or just from the ends to the tree, that way no mater the situation I can choose what I think would be best. and even set it up using 3 trees to have a larger porch area if the weather is good.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast