Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hate Tom?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images

Hate Tom?

In the last 24 hours I've read a couple of posts that seem particularly derogatory towards Hennessy products or patents. I'm all for constructive criticism, but these comments don't seem to have quantifiable nor objective basis. So, why do folks hate Hennessy products so much, but rave over products that seem to be very similar? Kind of like the Blonde/Brunette argument isn't it?

I'm new here. I'm not new to hammocks, just new to one that costs over $10 and doesn't look like a fishnet. I remember seeing Hennessy's in U.S. Cav about ten years ago and wondered why I would ever spend that much on a hammock. I picked on up last week and while I anticipate doing the ZQ Mod #2, I can't find much else I'd change. I also looked at Warbonnet, but decided on the Hennessy because there wasn't a waiting list, I like the Hennessy brown versus the Warbonnet gray, and Hennessy had a great holiday sale. I still want to try a Blackbird one day, but I don't see enough of a difference to malign one over the other-only personal preference.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

a response -kinda wordy post

Trooper,

I am relatively new (past 6 months) to hammocking, and discovered Tom Hennessy's products first. Then I discovered Hammockforums. I was also a bit surprised at some of the 'tones' that Tom Hennessy seemed to generate, but it seemed (at least to me) to boil down to a couple of things:

1. First and foremost, some folks here are definitely passionate about whatever
    their 'rig' may be and can readily explain why they like theirs better than a different setup. But without "tearing down" the other setups or the people who like them.

2. I get the sense from my reading here on the site that Tom H. is 'vigorous' in defending his products by wa of the use of patenting and it may rub some people the wrong way, to a degree.

That said, I also find that everybody's opinions are respected and that we have not only some awesome choices in 'rigs' out there, but that the various manufacturers actually pay attention to what we do vis modding and adapting and the sharing of those ideas and wind up incorporating some of those neat things into their products for the better.

Me, right now I only have Hennessys and am very happy with them (even more so w/the 2QZQ #2 mod) but understand why many folks are died-in-the-wool Warbonnet Blackbird fans, or ENO fans, DIY or whatever. We have many videos to make a several good cases for different brands of hammock. I'm now seriously mulling over giving one of those new Switchbacks a try, as I see certain niceties over the standard Hennessy.

What will seal the deal is if "the Jack's" start rumbling about accessories for the Switchback...hmmm
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    There are two contributions to this discussion...

One is that there are certain parts of HH products that people feel are genuinely inferior or poorly suited to their needs. For example, many dislike the bottom opening, or feel that the stock tarp is too small, while the optional hex tarp is too heavy.

The other, more major contributor to the animosity is Tom's generally hostile treatment of hammock hobbyists and fellow hammock related businessmen. He has patented a number of obvious ideas which were no doubt used before he was born, and has been very aggressive with those patents, going so far as to claim that HOBBYISTS using his patented ideas for their own personal hammocks were in violation of his patents (a laughable claim that has no legal basis whatsoever).

We have a number of outstanding hammock makers here, from mass production shops to guys making things in their garages, and while the occasional heated discussion erupts, and somtimes snarky comments are made, I have never seen one of them threaten to sue another one for "stealing" an idea, and this community has actively borrowed ideas from one another at a breakneck pace. In fact, that constant borrowing, tweaking, modifying, and improving is what has given us such amazing innovation and improvements in hammock design.

Tom's actions do not reflect the community spirit of hammockers, and many of us are more than happy to give our business to others who actively share and give back to this group.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Normally I don't do the,"Just look it up in the archives I don't want to go over this again." thing, but there really has been a lot written on this subject already. I'm going to go with JustJeff's suggestion in another thread concerning Hennessy. Please, let's not go over this again.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    So what I understand is that the product is fine, it is the personality of the producer to which folks disagree. People will always be passionate about what they have or want and there is no accounting for taste.

Sorry, Pedro. I didn't realize this was such a passionate issue that had been discussed before. I think I have my answer, so I will cease and desist.
    Last edited by Trooper; 11-29-2009 at 12:28.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, Jeff has asked not to have another debate started. You can get quite a bit of info on HF member's opinions from this thread...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=patent
    And you can find other threads by searching "patent".
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Not just personality, ACTIONS. Actions speak louder than words, and all that.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    I just don't like the bottom entrance or the small tarp.

-Ricegravy!

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    I just don't like the bottom entrance or the small tarp.

-Ricegravy!
    Your preference and I understand.

I'm not completely sold on the bottom entrance because I feel "like a new man" each time I exit the hammock. But, maybe it is better with mosquitos so I will keep it when I put a zipper on mine. I like having options as much as I hate mosquitos.

I'm used to using a pair of surplus ponchos for a tarp, so I don't have much to complain about. But, the JRB 11x10 in cattail brown in on my Spring purchase list.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    If they came as an option from Tom with a zipper and no bottom entry, I would own one by now. I thought there was some talk about that as an option? Maybe it was just gossip

-Ricegravy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast