Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennedetto View Post
    I know that it's highly variable, depending on the equipment that you have, but what would an estimated packed volume for a tent, hammock, TQ and 3/4 length UQ be? With synthetic insulation, not enough cash for down yet.

I'm trying to figure out if what I have for packs are adequate for space, or if I'll need to find myself a bigger one.
    I'm not sure about synthetic, but with down I would guess 30L with all that gear. With synthetic, maybe 40L? But it also depends on the type of hammock and tarp you have. My Warbonnet Blackbird is twice the size of some other simple hammocks I have.

So 40L plus a jacket, cook kit, maybe a down or fleece mid layer...you could be around 50-60L.

There are really too many variables though. You'll want to try them in person and consider:

1. Comfort is always number 1. If the pack doesn't feel comfortable and fit your body well, it doesn't matter if the pack itself is 1lb or 5lbs. And of course it will only get worse as you add more weight.
    2. How you pack it. On some trips I feel like my 25lb load is 20lb. Other times the 25lb load feels like 35lbs. I'm never exactly sure why, but it probably has to do with the center of gravity, items shifting, down in the bottom not compressed enough/too much
    3. Don't overfill a 40L pack; don't underfill a 70L pack. I found it is always more comfortable to fill a pack so there's no/little extra room without struggling. While my 65L pack was always comfortable, I ended up buying a 50L in the exact same model since it carried better than the under-filled 65L pack. Compression straps can only do so much on packs.
    4. Instead of going to a store, buy and try at home from any seller that allows returns. It's well worth the $8 to return; some are even free! (Zappos, Amazon, etc). That way you can take your time packing actual gear at home, walking around, up/down stairs, whatever.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks Swift
    Tarp
    LSOH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Stealth blanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I did some measurements on the current pack that I have that might work (I forgot the volume of it). It is a 40 litre pack but only weighs 727 g. I'm going to give it a go, if it doesn't work then I'll figure something else out.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    4. Instead of going to a store, buy and try at home from any seller that allows returns. It's well worth the $8 to return; some are even free! (Zappos, Amazon, etc). That way you can take your time packing actual gear at home, walking around, up/down stairs, whatever.
    The nice thing about MEC in Canada, every purchase has a lifetime return policy. It is one of the main reasons I choose to shop there if I can. I've even returned climbing shoes after a 20 pitch route because they didn't fit right once they were more worn in, no questions asked.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennedetto View Post
    I know that it's highly variable, depending on the equipment that you have, but what would an estimated packed volume for a tent, hammock, TQ and 3/4 length UQ be? With synthetic insulation, not enough cash for down yet.

I'm trying to figure out if what I have for packs are adequate for space, or if I'll need to find myself a bigger one.

***EDIT***
    Typo! Tarp, not tent.
    I had the same question.

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-too-much-bulk

There is a picture in the OP showing all my sleeping gear and a nalgene for reference.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    In my opinion you simply gave to test pack and repack using different stuff sacks or dry sacks until you find an optimum configuration. Too many variables to to into but what you're packing has to match up with the pack just like a stove has to match up with a pot and windscreen. The stuff sacks and/or dry bags also give shape to the contents of the pack and add rigidity and structure. I think it takes a lot of trial and error and often, a lot of money spent on different packs and gear!

Gideon

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeynono View Post
    Just try it. I started with 65l and now I'm down to 31l (winter)
    same here. had a ula around 70. osprey kestrel 38 works perfect.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12