Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think a spreader bar would work, and should probably go on the vertical straps rather than near the head. Either way, a strap running under the hammock will cause a pressure point at that spot. Also should be careful if you sew those straps across the hammock body.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I was considering sewing webbing to the edge of the length of the hammock on both sides and sewing the vertical straps to that rather than going under the hammock itself. That would likely be pretty uncomfy due to the pressure point you mention. What I am going for here is a way for this guy to be able to get in and out and move around using his upper body strength rather than his legs. He can use the good leg mostly normally, but his other hip and pelvis are also damaged. That why I want this hammock to have a variety of places he can grab on to and actual pull himself up to get out and into his wheelchair. He cannot use a prosthetic because of a persistent infection.

OK,

Totally inexperienced with hammocks here, but what about the webbing along the side edges of the hammock like you suggested. then the vertical straps coming down, two at the head end, two at the footend. They could form an inverted "Y" at each lower end of the verticals. This should spread the pressure points out a bit, reducing their impact.

To prevent the squeezing, place spreader bars above the hammock, at the juction of the "Y's" this would create a sling-like effect, and could be used as a grab bar while he is in the hammock.

Just an image that came to mind, maybe you already thought of it and rejected it.

Lyle

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FD - I'm curious, Did you say you tested the JRB hammock at Trail Days?

If you did, did you try it long enough to form an opinion?

Did you try it long enough to have an opinion on whether it would work for you?

Would it possibly work for the disabled person you are working with? I think you are great for working to get him something he can use for car camping.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    OK,

Totally inexperienced with hammocks here, but what about the webbing along the side edges of the hammock like you suggested. then the vertical straps coming down, two at the head end, two at the footend. They could form an inverted "Y" at each lower end of the verticals. This should spread the pressure points out a bit, reducing their impact.

To prevent the squeezing, place spreader bars above the hammock, at the juction of the "Y's" this would create a sling-like effect, and could be used as a grab bar while he is in the hammock.

Just an image that came to mind, maybe you already thought of it and rejected it.

Lyle
    I think you just designed the JRB hammock

Images
    As TeeDee says, that would resemble the JRB -- except the spreader bars are at the head and foot instead of parallel to length of the hammock. An overhead bar to grab migh be just the thing for him to use in getting in and out. I might add a 'W' of webbing - top of 'W' at the ridgeline and bottom of 'W' at the the bar for additional strength and run a piece of webbing from each end of the bar to the strap holding the hammock for stability.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    FD - I'm curious, Did you say you tested the JRB hammock at Trail Days?

If you did, did you try it long enough to form an opinion?

Did you try it long enough to have an opinion on whether it would work for you?

Would it possibly work for the disabled person you are working with? I think you are great for working to get him something he can use for car camping.
    I tried out the JRB hammock twice at TD and think it could work for me. The shoulder squeeze mentioned by several wasn't as big a deal for me because I have narrow shoulders. The hammock is very comfy - more like a cot than a hammock in flatness / stability. I got out totally unaided the second time, but it was really hard and I'm not sure I could have done it had the footing not been perfect. I will be one of the field testers for the JRB's hammock used in combo with the tarptent as a shelter for a couple - me in the hammock and he-dino on the ground.

I doubt my friend could get into the JRB hammock, but I will set it up when it gets here and let him see what he thinks (in my nice soft backyard and with several CCF pads underneath so he won't be hurt if he falls.)

This fellow lost his leg the year before I was in the head-on accident that lead to my problems. He was one of the people who came over and kicked my tushie when I threw a pity party. I owe him big-time. He misses camping and was looking forward to recreating the wonderful memories he has with his sons so.......
    Last edited by Frolicking Dino; 06-03-2007 at 17:10. Reason: grammar police made me

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    I tried out the JRB hammock twice at TD and think it could work for me. The shoulder squeeze mentioned by several wasn't as big a deal for me because I have narrow shoulders.
    I doubt shoulder squeeze would much of a problem anyway - seems you could just use longer spreader bars, but always just a little less than the length of the hammock .

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FD - why not just tie some bights in the ridgeline, giving him "handles" to grab onto and pull himself up?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Excellent Idea, Jeff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12