ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    2Go Trifecta
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    I wonder if anyone can recommend a strong thermally-conductive adhesive (epoxy) designed to work on higher temperatures than 300F under $15?
    I'm going to keep testing this one. I DO fear that after a nice long burn I'm going to pick up my Imusa and the heat syncs will just fall off... because it DOES say that 150C is it's upper limit. We all know that fire is somewhere far above 330 degrees Farenheit/America. I'll keep trying, but I'm so extremely happy with the results so far!

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    2Go Trifecta
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    Do you really use ever clear? I guess that is a good use its too strong for me. Neat idea by the way. I wonder if you could make a heat sync/pot stand somehow if the glue doesn't hold up.
    Sir. This is a brilliant thought. Before I ordered my heat sync glue I had this fantasy that the heat sync itself could be a wind-screen. That perhaps I could set the heat sync directly onto my stove and it would A) channel the flames upwards safely amidst the wind and B) transfer ALL KINDS of heat directly to the water or mixture in my camp pot. In my very first tests outside it simply failed every time. The heat sync would snuff out the fire.

I've since retreated to a more classical approach of using it at a distance to absorb way more heat. Looking at it now, you (we) may still have an idea there but it would definitely be an accessory to a specific stove/fuel apparatus, and might not be as universal a solution as the one I've ended up with thus far.

Don't stop thinking, let's try the options! - Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Rock-It View Post
    Also, I'm pretty proud of my hi-tech Imusa lid! It's made entirely from a CD, a little circle of reflectix, and duct tape.

Attachment 126577
    That's genius! And I'm gonna steal that idea.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    This is a cool idea.
    However I think the designs have to be pared with specific stoves.
    If a stove burn in a ring and no flame in the center I can’t see the benefit of having Heatsink in the center. Heatsink will do one of two things. It will distribute heat if there is a heat source but if there isn’t a heat source it will try to cool the area and then its wasted weight and bulk.

Another way to do it could be forget the glue and make it a separate unit you put between the stove and the pot so it will act as a heat distributor (flat bottom pot is required for best result because of the contact surface).
    heat D.png
    just a thought
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I never thought of using ever clear for multiple uses like that but if a party breaks out in camp you ain't having breakfast. Well you probably wouldn't want breakfast after that.
    visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    2Go Trifecta
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    This is a cool idea.
    However I think the designs have to be pared with specific stoves.
    If a stove burn in a ring and no flame in the center I can’t see the benefit of having Heatsink in the center. Heatsink will do one of two things. It will distribute heat if there is a heat source but if there isn’t a heat source it will try to cool the area and then its wasted weight and bulk.

Another way to do it could be forget the glue and make it a separate unit you put between the stove and the pot so it will act as a heat distributor (flat bottom pot is required for best result because of the contact surface).
    heat D.png
    just a thought

My old pot cozy still fits her like a glove so I'm not worried about that.

Perfect contact is so essential, but this definitely sounds like a follow-up experiment!

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    2Go Trifecta
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    I never thought of using ever clear for multiple uses like that but if a party breaks out in camp you ain't having breakfast. Well you probably wouldn't want breakfast after that.
    I tend to bring plenty! I transfer everclear into those 375mL plastic flask-shaped bottles that crappy diluted vodka comes in. It's miraculous how a full size liquor bottle fits entirely into just two tiny and lightweight bottles. I've obviously soaked the old label off and written Spring Break in its place, because proper labeling and all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Hmmmm, I ran some more math. 2*7$7 (for heat sinks) + $6 (for the glue) + $6 (for the IMUSA).... = $26 ?
    Now, it doesn't seem such a no-brainer... Although savings in fuel are impressive, if the glue holds long enough.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just don't think the glue would hold up - better off using a sautering gun? I think that would come off eventually too.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock-It View Post
    I tend to bring plenty! I transfer everclear into those 375mL plastic flask-shaped bottles that crappy diluted vodka comes in. It's miraculous how a full size liquor bottle fits entirely into just two tiny and lightweight bottles. I've obviously soaked the old label off and written Spring Break in its place, because proper labeling and all.
    I tested Everclear as a fuel - nothing wrong with it. However, it's an expensive option as a fuel. I probably pay $30 for 750 ml (25.36 ounces) at the liquor store, but denatured alcohol is $8 for 32 fluid ounces (946 ml). So it's .04 cents per milliliter for Everclear, and .008 cents per milliliter for denatured alcohol? Um, I think I'm gonna cook with denatured alcohol!

Besides, I don't want anybody (including me) drinking my fuel.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast