Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images

So I have someone who is volunteering to attempt an Underquilt for me.

My roommate Kat saw me drooling over the underquilts this morning and stress over prices. Then I showed her the underquilts you all have made. She said it didn't look too hard and she would try. So the first thing she said was "Where do you buy down?" So we looked it up in a search here. Found the canadian company to be the best prices but, the shipping is a bit steep.

One other site was this one http://www.northerngoose.com/bulk-goosedown.php

Minimum order is

Five pounds
    Five pounds of 600 fill power white goose down Unit Price $50/lb US$250

Five pounds of 700 fill power white goose down $75/lb WGD700 US$375

Five pounds of 800 fill power white goose down $100/lb WGD800 US$500

* All orders outside of Canada will have a $10 handling fee associated with them at checkout regardless of any Free Shipping offer, this is to passify our export brokers. All orders to Alaska, Hawaii and any other countries around the world will be charged appropriate shipping charges at the checkout.

** All orders to North America (Canada, USA & Mexico) are duty free, you will not have to pay any brokerage or duties on the products as they are made in Canada and come with a NAFTA certificate! Just the one time $10 charge covers clearing your products.

So basically she and I are sonfused as to what is a good price to pay for goose down. Also we don't really want 5lbs but, have no idea how much we need. I am 5'2" and my hammock is a little shy of 10 feet fabric end to fabric end.
    She was talking about buying goose down pillows and using them. Those things are expensive just to be gutting!
    I know you guys will help and I thank you in advance!

Images
    Check out www.featherind.com for down. Also from Canada, but their 750 fill down came to around $5 an oz, with a 2 lbs min order. It is what I used in my UQ, it is really high quaility stuff.

I would only make the UQ a few inched longer than you are tall. I am 76" tall and my UQ is 78" long. It might be a hair short, but I use a pillow and wear a hat the insulates my head anyways. Plus when I am on my back I sleep with my stuff sacks underneath my knees making me a little shorter anyways.

I would not waste your time or money using down for pillows. The high quaility stuff that you want to use in an UQ compresses a lot. Which means not a fluffy pillow. IMO I think feathers are better for that.

PM me your email address and I can send you a .pdf of the directions I am working on. It's almost 6 megs in size so make sure your email and connection can handle it. I hope to have them completed today sometime and posted in html form next week.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I just thought after reading the other thread, shipping would be more expensive for this. From what I understand, the other company I mentioned doesnt have to pay customs or deal with them. maybe Im confusing wording.

So basically 2lbs might be enough for an underquilt and a vest!? Say YES say YES.

Edit: The site you mentioned says "under construction" in the Buy online area. Ill go back to the thread and read it again.
    Last edited by RockStar; 06-02-2007 at 12:20.

Images
    Their site has been saying that for almost a year now. They are really helpful over the phone and on email.

I used about 12 oz in my 2.5" loft quilt and about 17 oz in my 3.5" quilt. A vest should only have 4 or 5oz. With 32 oz you might be able to get 2 quilts and a vest. Especially if you get extra down like I did.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I wanted a down sleeping bag and EVERY "Regular" or "Short" I get is too big. I might be able to kill 3 birds with one order. Lets say "wound". lol ;p

I can attempt to make maybe an overquilt instead of an actual sleepingbag. When sleeping in my marmot 20 degree I usually get too hot and sleep with it open on my top half(pull it over me like a blanket) anyway. My feet are the only thing that get very cold and I'm getting some 20$ down booties for that.

You are the best! I still havent forgotten about searching out some SIlNylon or Dwr at other WalMarts. I should be making a trip out of town sometime next month, or end of this one!

Images
    good luck with your project..i hope it turns out well for you..

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Thank you guys but, she has canceled for now. I am hoping she will reconsider! As any savings will greatly benefit my hike.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Thank you guys but, she has canceled for now. I am hoping she will reconsider! As any savings will greatly benefit my hike.
    That why you need to learn the ways of the Force. . .

As Brian Frankle said, "Learn to sew and you can make whatever the Hell you want."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    That why you need to learn the ways of the Force. . .

As Brian Frankle said, "Learn to sew and you can make whatever the Hell you want."
    Come on, you can do it. If I can learn to sew, then anyone can. Just take your time and start with small things.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast