Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    i agree with the OP and the changes suggested.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    undecided
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree with the OP. A moderate expansion of the FS forum would be welcome. While the site is primarily devoted to hammock camping, much of the related gear which is currently excluded would be attractive to the same people or groups of people.

It does work really well as it is now, and was before, certainly due to the restrictions placed by the mods to keep out spam. I am amazed at the high prices and speed which items sell - that is something special. Chairs and lights would be nice, though. I suppose if people who have switched to hammocks want to sell their ground sleeping gear cheap, I don't object.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    I'm glad the Mods' workload decreased from this and I agree with the OP: bring back most of it and if "C" & "F"
    are excluded that would be fine, as these items are a much smaller amount of FS items anyway (not to mention the other potential issues they can cause).
    2nd that!
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I'm don't know how much actual work it was to monitor/moderate the For Sale forum and I'm not sure how much work it is now. I would be interested in actual metrics, 20hrs / week vs 5hrs / week. Mostly out of curiosity because I imagine there might be a solid group of folks willing to participate in moderating that particular forum. Moderators can be limited to a single forum, perhaps having more hands to make lighter work would be an alternative to consider.

What I do know is that the FS section is of significantly less interest to me now.
    PIF is trashed. The suggested alternative appears to be mostly a waste of time.

The For Sale forum has declined in activity and for me, value.

Certainly this is a Hammock-centric forum and the workload must have been too much, so I understand the changes but I think they came at too high a price.

It was a value added benefit to transact business with like minded folks in a grass roots organizations often with people that had an established reputation. Sure there are other places to buy stuff but all things being equal, much prefer to do business with like minded folk in this community. I purchased plenty of hammocks, quilts, stoves and gear in the FS section. Since the changes, nothing. I used to drop by nearly daily, now, a few times a month, maybe.

For those reasons I absolutely would like to see the "restrictions" eased to allow more items and a more diverse list of items to be sold.

As an example I have 20 tablecloth blanks to sell. It seems silly to have to list them 3 at a time.

So yes, mods, please seriously consider the OP's suggestions.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 03-14-2016 at 23:24.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    1) I don't like to pay Ebay/Paypal fees and therefore don't like to deal with them.
    2) I am willing to sell some of my stuff at a cheaper rate to this community
    3) Sometimes, shipment of some bulky items could be prohibitively expensive, but because this community have group "hangs" now and then, and local people might be willing to buy from me locally.
    4) Certain items (such as used or new local "cottage vendors" products) are of much higher demand and value to members of this forum, than to uninformed folks who have no idea of who those vendors are....

So, I'd love to be able to sell not only hammock specific, but any outdoor-related items. I can see why someone might want to exclude firearms or automatic knives, but why tents?

And one more comment... The moderators are for the forum, not the forum for moderators. IMHO

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrRabbit View Post
    1) snip...

And one more comment... The moderators are for the forum, not the forum for moderators. IMHO
    A mods job is to enforce the TOS as he/she interpret them. Let me highlite a few key sentences from the Forums Terms of Service.
    It might help explain why some of the items FS were removed and why there are limits.

=====================================

Hammock Forums Terms of Service

In October 2006, some members from whiteblaze.net created HammockForums.net to be the go-to source for hammock information. HF has always taken pride in its helpfulness, friendliness, innovation, and overall positive attitude. To continue in this tradition, we’ve created the following rules for participation here.

Please PM or email an Administrator or Moderator with any questions or concerns. Administrators and Moderators be identified by red usernames, and often have useful forum links in our signature blocks.

Forum Leaders

===

I. Family Friendly. Hammock Forums is a family friendly site. This means that our topics, language and treatment of each other are what you'd want your kids to see. We're not a bunch of prudes...we just think that the internet has enough places where that behavior is tolerated, and this particular site shouldn't be one of them.

===

II. Be Respectful. This is not negotiable. We treat each other with respect at Hammock Forums. This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects (including respectful critiques), and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms. However, we will not show a lack of respect for each other. Disagreement is fine; disrespectful behavior is not. Please make it easier on the community and police your own posts. Since intent is hard to gauge on the internet, please start by giving the benefit of the doubt if the post is not clearly offensive.

We also treat other sites with respect. Politely referring folks to the best source of hammocking info on the net is absolutely encouraged. Using Hammock Forums to foster a spam campaign against another site is not. Doing it in the name of Hammock Forums is entirely inappropriate and misrepresents what this community stands for.

No one speaks for Hammock Forums but the HF staff. The members here have created a valuable source of information and camaraderie. As such, many folks get passionate about the site and the community...and even protective of our hobby. We appreciate that. However, taking direct action on behalf of HF, without first discussing it with the HF staff, is neither required nor appreciated. This includes attempts to profit from HF's material as well as representing the forum on other sites.

===

III. Stay On-Topic. This is a moderated site about hammocks. Off-topic posts will be removed from the hammock sub-forums.

HF was started to become the single best source of hammock information on the internet. Our goal is to provide a respectful forum for hammock enthusiasts, and to ensure that it runs smoothly…not to grow the forum, nor to provide a friendly discussion forum for general outdoor enthusiasts. Discussion of knives, stoves, paddling, backpacks and other non-hammock related issues detracts from our primary objective. Excellent information on all of these topics can be found on dozens of other sites around the internet...but only this site can claim to have the most experts on hammocks in the world and we plan to keep that focus.

All threads not directly related to hammocks will be moved to the Donating Members section. Fewer posts, but higher quality ones focused on our primary mission area, is a perfectly acceptable outcome of this policy. Please note that if you are not a donating member, you will not have access to a thread you started that gets moved to the off-topic area. You may either participate on topic in the free access areas or donate to get access.

This policy is not open for debate, so please do not email the moderators with requests that we run this forum like others you frequent.
    =============================================

If we took what was highlighted and called it the HF mission statement the FS section would be limited to hammock and hammock accessories only or moved to the donating members forums since many items sold are considered off topic per the TOS.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 03-14-2016 at 18:45.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Hmmm. Move the For Sale to the Donating Members section and reinstate some of the off topic for sale items. I think I like it....
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    So is there going to be a members only off topic for sale section? I will echo the requests for a bit of change to the current TOS for the sale section. I think if we are going to allow backpacks and the like some additional camping equipment should be ok. I also think we have several committed members here who may be able to help oversee that sub forum.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    So is there going to be a members only off topic for sale section?
    snip...
    No. That is out of the scope of this discussion. I believe the OP was asking if a few items could be added back to the OK to sell list and nothing more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast