HH Expedition Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hi from a Newbie

Hi, first post here. Been researching and drooling over stuff for a few weeks, and the wife and I are planning our hanging adventures starting in the spring. The weather will be nice, and hopefully we'll have all of our pennies saved up by then

We're both big folks (250+) and are thinking Warbonnet BB 1.7 doubles for the hammocks and 3 season Yetis for the UQ's. We're still torn on tarps, but thinking either OES MacCat Deluxes or Warbonnet's similar size for our 3 season rigs. Especially if Warbonnetguy is into package deals

I do have a question on top insulation. My wife is new to backpacking and doesn't have a bag, I have a Feathered Friends Hummingbird that has gotten a bit, uh, tight but I think would work ok for now. I've looked at JrB's quilts, but most of the regular quilts seem too small, and the large family seems too big. Does anyone make custom down top quilts to spec, but not at Nunatuk prices?

I've been thinking of cutting down an old sheet to figure out the sizing at shoulder, hips and feet and preferred depth of footbox. The wife gets cold feet, so does anyone just overstuff the footbox?

Lastly, anyone in the Central SC want to show off their cool hammocking stuff?

Thanks in advance for any info, and answers to these and I'm sure the zillion questions to come!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Pooh. Sounds like your on track with your list and ideas. Contact Stormcrow here on the forums as he might be able to make up the custom top quilts for you. Also Brandon, aka Warbonnetguy, is very approachable so contact him about the possibility of a package deal. Order your stuff well in advance so you can get in a few weekends gear adjustment/familiarization time in then you can spend all your hanging time just enjoying yourself.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Opie! Your tarp tensioners look great, and if we go sil-nylon instead of Spinn they are also on the list.

Still considering whoopie slings, but think we're going Warbonnets webbing/ buckle to start out.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qm1pooh View Post
    Hi, first post here. Been researching and drooling over stuff for a few weeks, and the wife and I are planning our hanging adventures starting in the spring. The weather will be nice, and hopefully we'll have all of our pennies saved up by then

We're both big folks (250+) and are thinking Warbonnet BB 1.7 doubles for the hammocks and 3 season Yetis for the UQ's. We're still torn on tarps, but thinking either OES MacCat Deluxes or Warbonnet's similar size for our 3 season rigs. Especially if Warbonnetguy is into package deals

I do have a question on top insulation. My wife is new to backpacking and doesn't have a bag, I have a Feathered Friends Hummingbird that has gotten a bit, uh, tight but I think would work ok for now. I've looked at JrB's quilts, but most of the regular quilts seem too small, and the large family seems too big. Does anyone make custom down top quilts to spec, but not at Nunatuk prices?

I've been thinking of cutting down an old sheet to figure out the sizing at shoulder, hips and feet and preferred depth of footbox. The wife gets cold feet, so does anyone just overstuff the footbox?

Thanks in advance for any info, and answers to these and I'm sure the zillion questions to come!

Qm1pooh.

JRB Sierra Sniveller is as you opined... a size between the regular JRBs and the JRB Large Family of quilts.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll be getting more suggestions, but for starters, you may want to try using that sleeping bag as a top quilt to get a feel for the width you need.
    Your wife could try it out on the bed since you haven't got your hammocks yet. That would give you an idea. Just remember that in a hammock, it's a slight advantage that the hammock sides are coming up somewhat at your side. That helps in keeping the top quilt tucked in a little better than a more flat surface.

If you can afford new top quilts, There are a few here that make them & might be able to custom size them if needed.

About the cold feet... me too<G>... so I usually wear warm socks to bed & sometimes down booties & insulated pants to sleep in.
    If needed, a hot water bottle is like a piece of Heaven on earth when the ol feet are cold to the bone.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6&quot;
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the info all! We're all ears (or, uh, eyes is I guess more appropriate ).

@ Pan- The Sierra Sniveller looks really promising. All ya'lls stuff looks great, just figuring out which to use is hard. I probably would cut off the pad tabs to save a couple of grams

Also, can you customize the fill in the footbox? Then again, I may be able to talk the wife into the hot water bottle per Slowhike's suggestion and save some moola for the winter setup....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Cold feet?

Team these

http://www.gearforadventure.com/Big_...tie_p/bamb.htm

Up with a nice pair of merino wool socks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One of my old tried and true cold foot remedies is putting JRB Down Sleeves FOOT HEAVEN on my feet over my socks. Ohhhh ... so good!
    Shug of the Toasty Toes
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by qm1pooh View Post

I don't live in the midlands, but I get up there occasionally to visit family and camp out with dameon and ricegravy. I'm not sure when it will happen, but the next time we camp, you should swing by and visit. rice and myself have warbonnet black birds and dameon has a travel hammock. our set ups and rigging are vastly different though.

keep an eye out in the trip planning section or plan one yourself. ground sleepers are welcome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast