Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome guys; i'm pretty new myself although i've already bought my hammock, tarp and UQ. It is allot to take in at once so just relax,, watch a few video's go to "in to the wood.com" and definitely take in a group hang , There seems to be allot of folks in the NC,SC area and folks are only to eager to share info and convert someone. There is nobody that i know of in my area so i bought blind and i haven't been disappointed yet.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images

A Backyard Lounger or Camping Shelter?

What do you want to use the hammock for, and how much are you willing to spend?

I still have a 15 year-old fishnet, and my only complaint is fingers, buttons, and wrist watches get caught on the string. They aren't fun if you're not wearing much clothing because you feel like the strings put a lot of pressure on your skin. A parachute hammock like the ENO (~$60) you mentioned is a giant leap from the fishnets because the solid piece of fabric is more comfortable. I'd try one out for $20...should be a cheap way to get a feel for swinging.

I have two ENO Doubles that I have used in the back yard extensively and on several camping trips. I owned an ENO single, but I like how the double wraps around me. There seems to be several companies that sell parachute hammocks (ENO, Ticket to the Moon, Trek Light, and Grand Trunk come to mind), but I suspect only one manufacturer. I take my ENO almost everywhere because I never know when I might have an opportunity to use it. You can absolutely camp in one of these, but they aren't my choice for summer camping because they lack an integrated mosquito netting. For the price and weight of adding the net you could get one of the popular higher-end hammocks (~ $140-250).

Speaking of the popular high-end choices, Hennessy and Warbonnet are on my short list. I've slept in a Hennessy all week and the only complaint I have is the mosquito net isn't removable and I miss the open air lounging. Not that big of a deal thanks to a 2QZQ, a Hammock Forums member. The Warbonnet Blackbird is made by a Hammock Forum member, and comes with a zipper. The only reason I went with Hennessy over Warbonnet is because Hennessy had a sale and I like the colors more (see how subjective this can get) than Warbonnet's. I don't have any first-hand experience with the Warbonnet--yet. There are others that are that every bit as good, but these two brands fit me best.

Bridge hammocks are another option, but aside from those canvas ones at the beach I can't comment. Something else to consider if you're looking at the ENO: For about the same amount of money as the parachutes, you can get a Warbonnet Traveler ($60).

I really don't think there is a bad hammock, but some are better than others, and some are outstanding in certain environments. I can sleep comfortably just about anywhere as long as I'm warm, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Trooper; 11-30-2009 at 01:29.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Hi all. I am relatively new to hiking and very new to hammocking. The idea of switching from a tent to a hammock is appealing to me. I have been reading as much as I can on this forum, but have to admit this is all very overwhelming.
    How do you eat an elephant?
    One bite at a time...

Define your goals and then pursue you gear purchases based on those goals. You are in the right place to make an informed decision.

Begin by reading this thread: Newbie Hammock Setups

Best advice has already been given; go to a hang and get in one! You will learn more in two days at a hang than in two weeks on the forums.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Welcome guys; i'm pretty new myself although i've already bought my hammock, tarp and UQ. It is allot to take in at once so just relax,, watch a few video's go to "in to the wood.com" and definitely take in a group hang , There seems to be allot of folks in the NC,SC area and folks are only to eager to share info and convert someone. There is nobody that i know of in my area so i bought blind and i haven't been disappointed yet.
    I think that, for most folks, getting to a good group hang( for ex Ed Speer's hang outs) would:
    1: be fun
    2: allow learning more in that one or two days of fun than endless hours and discussion here. A picture is worth a thousand words, but how many words is the real deal worth? At a group hang out you can see numerous different brands and types of hammocks, quilts, tarps. Plus quickly see all tips and ideas actually demonstrated. Some things are hard to put into words and hard to picture until you have actually seen it. More than seen it, tried it yourself. I.E., layed in it or tried the technique.

Not that I ever did it that way, oh no! Just tried to figure out HH and HHSS and how to stay warm by myself in the back yard and in the field. Worked on it for several months, then found HF and started asking questions. That all worked out in the end. But if I had been able to attend a hang out to start with, my first night in the Rockies would have been much more comfortable and warm and with much less anxiety.

Jump in!

For me the transition to a hammock was quick and simple,i just picked one that looked right and off to the hills.

Lots of people who are very passionate about there hammocks and gear can be consumed by all the offerings,suspensions,tarps,UQ's,TQ's and it can be very satisfying and rewarding toying with different solutions.
    Unlike tents....hammocks are a hobby all to itself.
    God bless those with passion and spirit.

For me personally.....I'm a avid long distant backpacker and was looking for something quick and light and upon use i found a considerably better nights sleep.
    What I'm saying is.....my hammock is just a tool to enhance my love for backpacking the great outdoors and any of the popular top loaders "lightweight" would suffice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    .................. The only reason I went with Hennessy over Warbonnet is because Hennessy had a sale and I like the colors more (see how subjective this can get) than Warbonnet's. I don't have any first-hand experience with the Warbonnet--yet. There are others that are that every bit as good, but these two brands fit me best.

Bridge hammocks are another option, but aside from those canvas ones at the beach I can't comment. Something else to consider if you're looking at the ENO: For about the same amount of money as the parachutes, you can get a Warbonnet Traveler ($60).

I really don't think there is a bad hammock, but some are better than others, and some are outstanding in certain environments. I can sleep comfortably just about anywhere as long as I'm warm, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    And, some are better for one person but not another. And, you can think one is much better than another on first impression, but if you play around with both for a while, you might change your mind, and find some positives in the original "looser". That happened to me with a bridge hammock. Though I returned my first one due to concerns about shoulder "squeeze", I decided to try another one and take my time deciding. It has ended up maybe being my favorite hammock overall, and is definitely at least tied for 1st place.

Purpose and use also enters in. For example, car camping or even short distance hikes, where every oz does not count so much. Instead of every oz being important for the extreme gram counter on a long distance trip. An example on this: I am enjoying my HH and Super Shelter SO much more since I cut the net off and replaced with a WB net. But that bit of luxury increase cost me maybe 5 oz, and a little bulk, and some money. And if the mossys are particularly numerous, fierce and vicious, there is something to be said for the quick bottom entry and the bottom snapping closed behind you the minute you pull your feet up.

Not so important to me, as I tend to avoid hanging when the mossys are at their worst. But, there are always plenty of pros and cons involved in many of these choices.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Not sure how many will be there yet, but you're welcome to attend the Over Night Hang at Turkey Pen Gap

Maybe keep an eye on it and write to attendees to see what will be on 'display'?
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Images
    For anyone who wanted to make the drive to Aiken, I could offer a show and tell. I have a HH Hyper-Lite, HH Explorer Ultra-lite, Speer III-A, and Warbonnet BlackBird. For underquilts, I can show you the JRB Mt. Washington, Rocky Mt. Sniveler, Speer SnugFit, and various and sundry under-covers, over-covers, topquilts, tarps, and a large collection of errors associated with a variety of trials. Free time between now and Christmas gets pretty scarce, but, if someone is burning to get things ordered in time for Mt. Rogers, I can make it work. After Christmas is no problem. PM me if I can help.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    ^^^Pretty sweet offer, that.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ^^^Pretty sweet offer, that.
    The offer is open, even to those from OK. Come on down.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast