WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    webbing

overwhelmed

Hi all. I am relatively new to hiking and very new to hammocking. The idea of switching from a tent to a hammock is appealing to me. I have been reading as much as I can on this forum, but have to admit this is all very overwhelming. I think it would help me out a lot if I could actually put my eyes and hands on a few different models before I put any money into new gear. I live in upstate South Carolina. Does anyone know of anywhere that I could go to actually see/try out some different hammocks in person? The only one I've seen so far was an ENO (?) at a Backpacker store when I was in Charleston for Thanksgiving, but I wasn't able to actually sit in it and get a feel for it since it was hanging from the ceiling. Anywhere in upstate/midlands SC, western NC, or northern GA?

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm in the same boat as you Tagg, and in about the same place! Maybe the nice people around here want to hold a hang for our benefit?

I was thinking of heading up to Mt. Rogers in January, but saving money for the Warbonnets is eating up my travel budget

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

bring a tent

why don't you go to one of those group hangs people keep posting, to see some other peoples rigs? Bring a tent and look around. Doesn't sound like any 2 people here do anything the same at all.... ever..... under any circumstance from reading this forum hehe.....that includes fire, water, cold, heat, clothes, knives, tarps, bags, quilts, tents, hammocks, backpacks, filters, suspensions.....need i say more? As a matter of fact you better not go you might just get more confused.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mt Rogers is the best place...more folks with different styles and setups than any other single place in the world, I'd bet. Ground dwellers welcome, although there's sure to be enough extra gear to set you up for a night or two.

Ed Speer also puts on hangouts every couple months, usually in Hot Springs, NC. Just as much fun, and it's car camping walking distance to an awesome pancake breakfast so you can bring everything you'll need to be comfortable. Most types of hammocks are represented there as well.

Both are pretty easy driving distance from you, and both are on the AT if you want to check out some day hikes while you're up there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome! Hopefully we can be of help. I know it's a lot of stuff to take in.
    Have you seen Jeff's site, "To The Woods"?
    http://www.tothewoods.net/
    It's nicely laid out in sections that most people find easy to navigate.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldays View Post
    Doesn't sound like any 2 people here do anything the same at all.... ever..... that includes fire, water, cold, heat, clothes, knives, tarps, bags, quilts, tents, hammocks, backpacks, filters, suspensions....
    Yes, but, it's all in Love!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Welcome aboard, guys!

Check out the HF Google map for member locations.

Might be some good info in the hangout/ trip planning forum, too.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Does anyone know of anywhere that I could go to actually see/try out some different hammocks in person? The only one I've seen so far was an ENO (?) at a Backpacker store when I was in Charleston for Thanksgiving, but I wasn't able to actually sit in it and get a feel for it since it was hanging from the ceiling. Anywhere in upstate/midlands SC, western NC, or northern GA?

There's a neat little outdoor shop that just opened up in Lexington, SC called Big Rock Outfitters that carries ENO and Grand Trunk hammocks. They have at least 1 set up in the store for people to try out. They're nice folks, and I think one of the owners is a member here.

http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com/

Other than that, keep your eyes on the Group Hangs Section, I'm sure there will be at least one event in SC, NC, or GA between now and spring.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Think I may take a trip out to Lexington (all the way from Olympia ) to check out a new outfitter. We sure can use one. Not to knock The Backpacker or Half Moon too much, but lately they seem preoccupied with pushing North Face jackets to sorority girls

Can't wait for Mast General Store to come to Main Street either. The more choices the merrier. Now for an REI in Irmo...

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by qm1pooh View Post
    Think I may take a trip out to Lexington (all the way from Olympia ) to check out a new outfitter. We sure can use one. Not to knock The Backpacker or Half Moon too much, but lately they seem preoccupied with pushing North Face jackets to sorority girls

Can't wait for Mast General Store to come to Main Street either. The more choices the merrier. Now for an REI in Irmo...
    please, god. no. the last thing irmo and that area needs is another reason for there to be a traffic jam at poorly executed intersections.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast