DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    In that video above (actually the still preview), do people actually sleep at that kind of angle? I can't imagine sleeping like that.
    I certainly don't. Sure doesn't look all that comfortable, but to each their own.

However my takeaway has always been that the longer the hammock, the more you are able to make use of the full width of the fabric (though there's a balance that needs to be struck) ... so you could sleep that way if you so desired in a longer hammock, though not so much with a short hammock. Either way, adding a little bit of length makes the same width hammock seem wider, by allowing you to make better use of the width that you have already. This will help with knee pressure and hyper-extension issues. I think this is especially helpful with hammocks that have integrated bugnets, as the netting by default will serve to constrict some of the useable width, and the additional length helps to mitigate that to some extent.

As always, the concept of diminishing returns applies, as at some point if you get too long, it creates other issues (ridgeline too high to reach, finding trees to fit between can be a problem) so in the end there's likely a max length that should be considered. I've always found that 10-11 feet is good, being a 6'2" person. I see no need to make or buy a 12 foot hammock, but likewise 9.5' is far too small.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 03-22-2016 at 10:06.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm tempted to buy a lighter 10.5' hammock...but it's just one of those "I don't need it" situations where I add it to my cart daily, then back out

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I'm tempted to buy a lighter 10.5' hammock...but it's just one of those "I don't need it" situations where I add it to my cart daily, then back out
    I've begun to notice that this seems to be a recurring theme for you, across multiple gear categories

I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by jdedmnds1 View Post
    Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for the info. Since I like to DIY I started with a 10 ft. and it is not bad but since I am 6'2", I made a 12' hammock but still haven't hung it. Looks like I am on the right track. I did watch that video and it helped. Thanks again.
    My personal opinion (take it for what it's worth) is that at 6'2" like you, I've never found an 11 foot hammock to be too short and thus longed for a 12 footer. I also spent the first 4 years of my hammock journey in a 10' WBBB, and never felt it to be not long enough at the time. Since getting a 11' dream hammock, that's now the hammock that I use 95% of the time, with an occasional use of a non-netted dutch 10.5' or a DIY 11', and I find it to be absolutely comfortable and a wonderful night's sleep. But honestly I haven't gone back and revisited my WBBB in quite a while, so I can't definitively say that the reason I find my DH more comfortable is the added length, and not just the design and fabric choice(s).

Regardless, I think you'll find that at your height that you'll be happier in a hammock that is > 9.5 feet. If you already made a 12 foot DIY, give it a try and you'll probably experience that it's night and day compared to your shorter hammock that's causing knee issues.

Good luck!

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    My first hammock, was a ~9ft hammock. That was way, way too short.

My second and third DIY hammocks have been 12ft long, and are substantially more comfortable. So comfortable in fact, that I haven't ever thought about shortening them. Perhaps one day I'll have to re-whip it, and see how I like a shorter one.

The only "downside" of a longer hammock IMO, is that you need more tarp to cover it, but even then, the difference isn't huge. A 12ft hammock with a normal 83% ridgeline length is only 9in longer than an 11footer with the same ridgeline length.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    Can anyone tell me the relationship between width and length? Ie. if you make it wider can you make it shorter?
    I'm looking to make my first DIY hammock after 10 yrs in a HH explorer and Safari.
    I bought the 1.6 W from Dutch.
    I would prefer it be shorter rather than longer as there is less weight and more hang options.
    So would a 10.5' wide hammock work as a 11.5' 60"?

Bob
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbobber View Post
    Can anyone tell me the relationship between width and length? Ie. if you make it wider can you make it shorter?
    I'm looking to make my first DIY hammock after 10 yrs in a HH explorer and Safari.
    I bought the 1.6 W from Dutch.
    I would prefer it be shorter rather than longer as there is less weight and more hang options.
    So would a 10.5' wide hammock work as a 11.5' 60"?

Bob
    I find a 10'6" in wide to be my maximum size. I would say about 11' in 58" fabrics.
    Something others hinted at above- you can get some pretty dramatic angles in wider fabrics and/or longer fabrics- but how will that affect your UQ and tarp? Reaching your RL may or may not be an issue, but being 4' away from your tarp may mean that you are lower than your A-frame tarp too. Taken to it's extreme- you need an Amok Dramor type rain fly if you take your hang angle too extreme or your length too long...

My personal feeling- I think that more attention should/could be paid to fabric choice too.
    I can make a 9' x 58" GE pretty comfy if I use .67 membrane 10, because it deflects so much there are no hard spots. Same deal with a 1.0 oz fabric really... but at my weight durability plays a part in choosing that extreme.

I had some issues with a 11' Hex 70 (2.2 ounce) because it was too stiff for my weight, I made it as a big ol heavy yard hammock for me and the kids to goof in.
    But it had a minor calf ridge and knee stiffness (or a bit of hip pain sidesleeping)

But a 10'6" Hybrid 1.7 XL fabric was a nice balance of stiffness and flex for my weight (220). When I was 190, I found a 10'6"x58" HyperD 1.6 to be a great choice.

So overall- I think much like there are folks who like a shorty hammock, there are folks who like a really big hammock. But most vendors seem to range from 10'-11', even in XL so despite some fans of either extreme... I think that's a pretty good number range to stick with unless you have a good reason to push it. From there I think fabric changes are a better variable to play with to resolve personal issues.

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I find a 10'6" in wide to be my maximum size. I would say about 11' in 58" fabrics.
    Something others hinted at above- you can get some pretty dramatic angles in wider fabrics and/or longer fabrics- but how will that affect your UQ and tarp? Reaching your RL may or may not be an issue, but being 4' away from your tarp may mean that you are lower than your A-frame tarp too. Taken to it's extreme- you need an Amok Dramor type rain fly if you take your hang angle too extreme or your length too long...

My personal feeling- I think that more attention should/could be paid to fabric choice too.
    I can make a 9' x 58" GE pretty comfy if I use .67 membrane 10, because it deflects so much there are no hard spots. Same deal with a 1.0 oz fabric really... but at my weight durability plays a part in choosing that extreme.

I had some issues with a 11' Hex 70 (2.2 ounce) because it was too stiff for my weight, I made it as a big ol heavy yard hammock for me and the kids to goof in.
    But it had a minor calf ridge and knee stiffness (or a bit of hip pain sidesleeping)

But a 10'6" Hybrid 1.7 XL fabric was a nice balance of stiffness and flex for my weight (220). When I was 190, I found a 10'6"x58" HyperD 1.6 to be a great choice.

So overall- I think much like there are folks who like a shorty hammock, there are folks who like a really big hammock. But most vendors seem to range from 10'-11', even in XL so despite some fans of either extreme... I think that's a pretty good number range to stick with unless you have a good reason to push it. From there I think fabric changes are a better variable to play with to resolve personal issues.
    Thanks for that!

Bob

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Thanks for that!

Bob

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 ft netless
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    Snugpack
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am 6' 1" and have been using an eno doublenest, which I believe is around 9.5 feet long. I have experienced some hyperextension in my knees. Just got my 1.6 hexon Dutchware 11' hammock in the mail and I can not wait to try it out! I think I will really like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Housefly, Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles
    What if it has a dedicated footbox? Like the WBBB, I'm 5'10, and the WBBB is 10 ft, would the dedicated footbox not allow for a flat lay even though it's 10 ft and not 11 like the XLC?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast