WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch

1.0 HEXON FOR BIG GUYS ??

Let me go ahead and apologize to Dutch for what I did to this hammock, however, I just had to see how the 1.0 hexon would do with someone of my, uh... girth. Sooo...... I ordered one for the experiment to try out. After suspensding it between a couple of trees, I commenced to load it down with all 320 lbs of my person for a few hours, occasionally getting in and out to add a little more stress. I had a feeling that the 1.0 hexon may hold me- and it did... beautifully and with barely a creak. Although I can't speak as to it's long term durability with my weight at this time, I think it will be my next backpacking hammock. The hammock (10.5' in length and his standard width) with ridgeline, 7/64 whoopies, kevlar straps, biners and stuff sack- 10.6 oz. Unbelievable... So, for those of you wondering... now you know.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by johnmark; 03-21-2016 at 22:51.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    That's awesome glad to hear it's for us bigger guys too.
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Although it did not rip, I am curious about the comfort. Did you find it was stretching to the point your shoulders were pushed forward or you couldn't get flat because too much sag in the middle?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I love the hexon 2.4 that Dutch put me in, and I'm a bigger guy myself at 305. I have a similar set up

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Although it did not rip, I am curious about the comfort. Did you find it was stretching to the point your shoulders were pushed forward or you couldn't get flat because too much sag in the middle?
    Now your milage may vary on this issue, however, for me, it was the most comfortable hammock I think I've ever been in, although in full disclosure, I only tried it for a few hours. It had just the perfect amount of sag to cradle me in comfort just the way I like it and I could detect no more shoulder squeeze than my 1.6 hexon. I've also tried the 1.6 and 2.4 hexon as well as several other materials and this, for me, was the most comfortable. I will say though that I do prefer a material that gives a little. I actually found the 2.4 to be the least comfortable because it was so "hard" when I laid on it. Another advantage that I have found with a stretchier material is that it seems much easier to stay warm in hammocks from stretchier fabrics in that it seems to allow your body to sink down somewhat into your your under quilt instead of trying to force the under quilt up against a stiff material. The comfort of a hammock is a very personal and subjective thing, however, this one works for me and will be leaving Thursday for a five day excursion on the Foothills Trail. When I get back, I may order a second one to try in a 9 1/2 foot length just because I like shorter hammocks.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I'm also curious about how much stretch it has. I'm about 215 lbs. and I was worried about it stretching too much to be comfortable. I want a different backpacking hammock with no net so I guess I just need to get one and try it out.

Hammock
    Hammeck, HK2001 custom
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Kevlar
    I'm interested in a new backpacking hammock and will be getting it made in hexon. I still need to determine whether I want 1.0 or 1.6. I prefer the lightest option available but I don't want to sacrifice any comfort or durability. I've thought about ordering one of each from Dutch to try them out but will ultimately want something with a built in bugnet.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    The only way to know is to try them yourself. At 5'4", 145-150lbs you'd think the 1.0 would be perfect for me, especially for backpacking. Didn't work out that way. Shoulder and lower back issues means I needed the increased support of 1.6 for hiking, but I prefer 2.4 at home. I can sleep ok in the 1.0 and will probably still use it for hot and humid conditions since it breathes quite well, also for when I just have the urge to go as light as possible.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    The only way to know is to try them yourself.
    That's for sure. I'm 5'9" 165lb and I've fell in love with my Grand Trunk Single Parachute hammock. I NEVER would have purchased it, but I forgot my hammock on a trip and had to pick something up retail. Gross overkill since it holds up to 400lbs, but the beefy fabric is very soft and provides a little stretch to conform perfectly to my body. I replaced the heavy suspension with the Warbonnet amsteel loop/buckle/strap suspension and I use the Nano 22 biners. Total is 20oz, I'm having a hard time talking myself into anything lighter. Calf ridge completely disappeared too! I don't really understand why. Even if I try to make it appear, I can't. Very strange, but I'm no complaining!

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin WL SS
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders/many
    Any report how the hammock worked on the trip?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast