Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To get down safely, after elevating my perspective.

I awoke in the night to go to the pit toilet at Henry Coe Park (California). I saw a pair of eyes over where I hung our food (a coyote?). I wasn't scared then, but had trouble relaxing in my hammock the rest of the night, thinking how hungry the critter might be (for me). How can I increase the altitude of my hammock, for peace of mind? treefool.com is fun to watch, but more complex than what I want to do.

I'm thinking of putting my tree straps as high as I can reach from the ground. But then how can I get in and out of my hammock?
    1. For safety, I'll use four tree straps, instead of just two, from the trees to my hammock carbiners.
    2. Connect another strap, in the middle (not to the trees), to the carbiners.
    3. Connect a ladder https://www.rei.com/product/877188/t...tweight-ladder ($70 seems expensive), or an etrier https://www.rei.com/product/474106/b...-6-step-etrier to the middle strap.

I think that I've got this worked out. EXCEPT, I'm not sure how to get down.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Have I exceeded my insanity allowance?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yes, you have exceeded your insanity allowance. Unless you have a death wish, you'll use proper climbing gear. No way you want to plunge to the ground from any appreciable distance.

I personally don't mind critters. It gives me peace of mind that they're around. Last night I went for walk in the back yard and some sort of jumping critter followed me all around the yard. It was cloudy and dark and I couldn't see anything. Could have been a rabbit, or a fox, or a deer. I have no idea because I couldn't see squat. It was darned sure interested in me.

Coyotes aren't really a human threat, to my knowledge.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dear SilvrSurfr

I appreciate your experience and honesty. Thank you for telling me. Now I have to figure out a way to tell myself:
    Poison Oak is bad enough, I don't need to fall.
    I don't like pain.
    I don't need to spend the money.

My foolishness is inconsistent!

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    These same critters are out in the daytime as well. For some reason people have a fear of animals at night,but are normal functioning human beings during the day (well okay, most people). You're out there for nature, and most animals have an ingrained fear of humans.The do however like our food. As long as you followed proper camp etiquette and don't sleep where you cook and hang your food you should be fine.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4, GTSB, 11' DIY
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah 12 Clone
    Insulation
    Costco TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Rule Three - never hang higher than your willing to fall

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Coyotes pose no threat to humans. They're like dogs...not very big and not going to attack a human unless they are madly desperate. I live in Coyote/Mtn Lion/Bear Country and Coyotes are not what I am scared of at night out in the Mountains.

Humans are afraid of critters in the dark because we can't see them and have no idea what is out there. Through the history of humans, some large predators come out at night to hunt that can see in the dark, thus our natural fear of the dark and what lurks out there. If you're camping/hanging responsibly, then I think there is little to fear.

Hammock
    Dutch netless Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema strap
    For peace of mind you could get a small can of bear spray. Coyotes are just about everywhere but I never hear about them attacking humans.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wouldn't hang very high without proper fall protection. Even with fall protection you will still fall a distance of up to 4' or more so it can still hurt but shouldn't be deadly. Then you will need to self rescue yourself in the middle of the night while hanging from a tree.

More likely to get hurt from a fall than a 4 legged hungry critter. But it can be done and climbing is fun.

It seems to me that most critters that lurk at night can jump pretty high or at least climb very well. I really can't see hanging high enough to be "safe".
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'd bet the eyes you saw were a raccoon, hardly a threat! Oh, and by the way, they live in trees. Doubt you're gonna get high enough to get away from them. I would be more concerned about the 2 legged vermin than the wild ones!! The 2 legged variety aren't scared of people, usually seeing them as prey.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast