Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Discomfort or in danger?

I decided to put this question from another post as its own thread.

Lacking any real hammock experience, I’d like to ask this question: Using my Clark JH and being surprised with lower temps than expected. What’s the deal if I’m in my zero° bag and am having my bags loft compressed below me (as you all say it will). Am I merely uncomfortably cold or am I in real danger due to the cold ? Let’s say it dipped to 25°. What do you experienced guys think?

6 ft
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The one time I've been in a situation at all like that, I was using my Marmot 15* bag with nothing else underneath. It got down to a bit below 30*, and I was uncomfortable enough that I couldn't sleep most of the night. Past that, I guess it depends on where you draw the line between discomfort and danger...on the trail, discomfort that prevents adequate sleep can be dangerous IMO. Hope that helps.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    The one time I've been in a situation at all like that, I was using my Marmot 15* bag with nothing else underneath. It got down to a bit below 30*, and I was uncomfortable enough that I couldn't sleep most of the night. Past that, I guess it depends on where you draw the line between discomfort and danger...on the trail, discomfort that prevents adequate sleep can be dangerous IMO. Hope that helps.
    It does help. Thanks.

But it does beg another question, do you think a zero° bag would make a difference, or would the compressed spots under my weight make me no better off?

6 ft
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was in a -20F bag at a very windy ~35F and didn't get much sleep at all. Actually, because it was a bag system and how I used it, it had much more insulation below me than a normal -20F bag and I was still cold through the bottom.

If it weren't windy that night I probably would have been ok...but on the trail you can't guarantee those conditions. Much better to have a bag or quilt rated to conditions, and an accompanying plan for bottom insulation rated to conditions. A pad, underquilt, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Carry a torso pad and you will be OK at 25 degrees. A small pad is just one of those safety items you should carry in the winter. You can take your Clark to the ground with the pad in an emergency such as weather or equipment failure.

Images
    I would think that in an emergency situation you could make under-insulation using raingear or stuff sacks filled with leaves, pine boroughs, etc. I had to do this once as a ground dweller for both under and over insulation. It works surprising well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Carry a torso pad and you will be OK at 25 degrees. A small pad is just one of those safety items you should carry in the winter. You can take your Clark to the ground with the pad in an emergency such as weather or equipment failure.
    My sit pad is the same size as my torso*, so does double duty. Or triple duty if I use it to stand on when the weather is "warmish".
    * With NO margin for error, but it works well, adding at least 10 degrees to what I can stand at night, even if added AFTER I get cold.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You could always carry on of those cheapo mylar emergency blankets. It may not keep you toasty warm but it may keep you from getting dangerously cold and suffering from hypothermia.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Forgive me my heresy, but if one is truly at risk vs. uncomfortable from the cold, one can go to ground.

...I'd have to be really uncomfortable...

FB

• + New Posts