DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

DIY Under Quit Help

I am pretty anxious about starting this project, would anyone be as so kind to check my work before I start cutting fabric . My plan is to make a full length 3 season Under quilt (and top quilt that comes next) utilizing 800 fill down. What is confusing me is how to determine the number of baffles/chamber size that i need since I see people use different chamber widths for different quilts. s Also if you think this quilt will be too warm please speak up as I have not used an UQ before and therefore pretty ignorant .

Thanks!

Capture.jpg

I have one last baffle to sew to my outer shell then its time to hem and stuff. Mines 45" wide by 55" long with nine chambers. Each chamber is five inches wide on the inner shell and 5.75 on the outer shell. With a two inch baffle height. On the spread sheet I toyed with the max chamber height till i had almost an even number to work with. Mine ended up being 2.66 to get the outer width at 5.75. I figured wider widths means less sewing plus i have big hands so easier to stuff. Thats my thoughts on it tho.

Edit to add my sheet
    Screenshot_2016-03-25-10-22-09.png

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Plans look solid to me. Number of baffles is really up to you. Some folks report they experience less down shifting the more baffles that are used versus a quilt with less baffles. That seems logical. Additionally, some cottage vendors offer pre-cut baffle material (nanonosseum) in certain widths. If you are using this it really saves time when it comes to constructing the baffles. This will also help you in determining final chamber size.

Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE and Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I think the main reason to have more baffles would be to prevent the down from shifting. Since you are going with a 10% overstuff you may not have to worry about the down leaving gaps as much and could maybe go with fewer baffles and save some sewing. Less sewing means less hole for air to get in. Also consider Karo Step baffles, a little easier to make and would probably be warmer at 20°, and you would need less material.

• + New Posts