Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help new guy with one tree setup - what to use for guylines

I'm new to hammocking and I'm working on a one tree set up like this: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=one+tree or using one half of this: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=portable
    The following photo is borrowed from the second link. As indicated, I plan to use only one half of this and a tree on the other end.
    I've got an adjustable aluminum military tent pole to use as the post opposite the tree. I plan to make stake booms to stabilize the stakes. So, my question is, what should I use for guyline. Zing-it, lash-it and Amsteel. Frankly, I'm not sure what the difference is in the three. Finally, I would like to use dogbones or guy line adjusters for the guy lines, but I'm not sure that any of those lines are thick enough to use adjusters.
    Thanks for the help! I'm learning a lot lurking around here.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    You could maybe use the small figure 9's by nite Ize they will work with larger guy lines and they are pretty strong. The weakest link is usually stakes pulling out ,soil is never consistent I hope you have some good stakes.
    visualize whirled peas.

Thanks. I have good stakes and the stake booms should eliminate the pull out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm going to do the one tree thing but I'm burring a sleeve made from the vinyl made to go around deck posts. This will allow me to remove the post when I'm not using it.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Sounds like you might have it figured out . Would give you the ability to hang about anywhere . What is the weight and the length of the poles?
    visualize whirled peas.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    Sounds like you might have it figured out . Would give you the ability to hang about anywhere . What is the weight and the length of the poles?
    Pole will adjust. Plan to use it at about 5 to 6 feet. Main question is what to use for guyline and whether guyline adjusters will work if I use amsteel or lash-it/zing-it.
    Last edited by safetyfast; 03-27-2016 at 19:37.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I use zing it for my continuous ridge line for my tarp it works well but is very slippery. For my tarp guy lines I use a line that has reflective material woven into it ( I am notorious for tripping over my lines ) and line locs3 . I use 1.75mm line and the line locks are a plastic material which I wouldn't trust for your application . Maybe look for some 3 mm reflective line or the Amsteel would defiantly work . For line adjustment the small figure 9 since the are made of metal and they work with larger line or possibly Cam Jams from night eyes. Whoopie slings would maybe work also and the adjust easy with no hardware needed. I hope you find something keep us posted on your progress I may have to try this also.
    visualize whirled peas.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    I use zing it for my continuous ridge line for my tarp it works well but is very slippery. For my tarp guy lines I use a line that has reflective material woven into it ( I am notorious for tripping over my lines ) and line locs3 . I use 1.75mm line and the line locks are a plastic material which I wouldn't trust for your application . Maybe look for some 3 mm reflective line or the Amsteel would defiantly work . For line adjustment the small figure 9 since the are made of metal and they work with larger line or possibly Cam Jams from night eyes. Whoopie slings would maybe work also and the adjust easy with no hardware needed. I hope you find something keep us posted on your progress I may have to try this also.
    Thanks. I was looking at the aluminum guyline adjusters, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Mounta...=ATVPDKIKX0DER I've never used any of the ropes I see mentioned on here a lot, so I wanted to make sure that I get something appropriate for the load and that will be easy to tie.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Yeah I have used those on tarps they work pretty good . Like you said your load will be more especially when you bounce or move around in the hammock. I would maybe get some Amsteel and make some custom whoopies
    visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I used 1" cargo straps on my one-tree stand thing, but Amsteel lines would work just as well with a picket line stake set up, depending on where you hang, some campsites have hard compacted soil, others are much softer..... As to how much the military pole weights? It's about 20 pounds, give or take a few pounds... its made of aluminum and 3 or 4 pieces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast