Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    One cord from hammock to rings is certainly the cleanest solution. And (depending on the cord used), strongest, because any time you have a knot in a line you lose some strength.

The bowline is not what you want to use on the hammock end though. If the connection between hammock and rope is purely tension, you want a knot whose loop tightens with tension. A bowline does not.

I could speculate what knot to use, but my money says there's folks on the forum who are doing this already. Probably there are pictures up already. Go with the voice of experience on this one.

Grizz

Grizz

Tom Claytor specifically suggests using a Bowline when using his straps. I've been using that knot without the ring system for quite a while and there has been zero slippage. I have been experimenting with the Anchor knot for attaching the rings but I'm open for other suggestions.

Miguel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

bowline

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Grizz

Tom Claytor specifically suggests using a Bowline when using his straps. I've been using that knot without the ring system for quite a while and there has been zero slippage. I have been experimenting with the Anchor knot for attaching the rings but I'm open for other suggestions.

Miguel
    Are we talking about where the rope ties to the hammock body, e.g. behind the wrapping?

I can imagine that might work if there is something on the hammock body between the bowline loop and the end of the hammock body, creating a jam. I never learned how to tie a bowline loop "tight" as I'd want if that was the only thing keeping the rope attached to the hammock body.

But hey, if Claytor is doing it, then it can be done. Voice of experience, etc.

Grizz

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Are we talking about where the rope ties to the hammock body, e.g. behind the wrapping?

I can imagine that might work if there is something on the hammock body between the bowline loop and the end of the hammock body, creating a jam. I never learned how to tie a bowline loop "tight" as I'd want if that was the only thing keeping the rope attached to the hammock body.

Grizz
    I suppose one could use a bowline to make a bight, then use the (kind of standard) larkshead to wrap the hammock.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Grizz
    I'm talking about a commercial hammock with with a tube sewn into the ends. You just thread the rope through the tube, cinch it up a bit and tie your bowline. The hammock suspends from the loop formed by the bowline. Somewhere up past the bowline knot you attach the rings possibly using an anchor hitch. Doesn't that seem reasonable? If you have a better solution or knot....I'm all ears. I'm certainly not a knot expert....that's why I'm asking for advice. I do like the idea of using one piece of rope to connect from the hammock to the rings.

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I'm talking about a commercial hammock with with a tube sewn into the ends. You just thread the rope through the tube, cinch it up a bit and tie your bowline. The hammock suspends from the loop formed by the bowline. Somewhere up past the bowline knot you attach the rings possibly using an anchor hitch. Doesn't that seem reasonable? If you have a better solution or knot....I'm all ears. I'm certainly not a knot expert....that's why I'm asking for advice. I do like the idea of using one piece of rope to connect from the hammock to the rings.

Thanks, Miguel
    understanding dawns. Perfect use for a bowline. Sleep easy.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123