Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Army jungle hammock concept, how to improve on it?

I like the Army Jungle Hammock concept, in which there's a built in bugnet AND built in tarp...but the problem with just getting an Army Jungle Hammock are that it's

1) heavy (canvas stuff and nylon roof?)
    2) Dang narrow and short, only 7 feet long and 26" wide to sleep on... sure the clews help but the width is the biggest problem..
    3) "tarp" is basically a poncho size tarp that may not be able to protect everything....

SO I'm looking at ideas....

I like the concept where your bug net goes and is sewn into the edges of a tarp shape, and there's zipper to the hammock body, but I am not a fan of the diamond-only shape, or the Hennessy Super SHelter concept of tarp being separate...
    I am also not quite a fan of the Nube shelter thingy, as it doesn't have what I am looking for..... I know, I am picky.

SO I know what I like, Gathered end hammock, I haven't done a built-in bugnet yet, but I know the concept basically...however... I like the idea where the bugnet goes out to the tarp edge, as opposed to going into the ridge line...

I like hex tarp shapes, and variations of the Ogee tarp design.... I love the Tarp Tent concept designs, though I'm trying to figure the hammock part of this idea.....

I do not like the idea of having to use a lot of cordage (clews) for the hammock body just to be similar to the Army Jungle hammock, nor do I want to have basically the same thing as every built in bugnet hammocks.......... go figure

SO... any ideas?

THe basic idea I have is half the bugnet needed, arranged in a sort of strip around the hammock edges, sewn to a rather small hex tarp, and end caps of Silnylon or Silpoly, also sewn to the tarp edges... with suspension holes for things... zipper on one side only on the entry side..... sure it would limit the tarp roof lay but I have other hammocks with separate stuff for when I want different set ups...
    The endcaps would have loops to which the UQ would connect to....maybe also have UQP attached to the end caps...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds as limited as all the existing designs that mimic what you seek. Lotsa seams and cuts that will be hard to perfect. The less cuts, the less diagonals, the less seams, the better, if you ask me. I'm simple.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well. I'm considering two seams on the tarp (similar to Ogee tarp), and only using same edges as tarp and hammock edges to connect the bug net material and zipper and the silnylon end caps.... In fact, I think the silnylon end caps could be easily made with the door material off the Ogee pattern ends....just two relatively narrow strips of material extending past the ends of the main panels for rain gutter/wind protection if I don't go for the Ogee style triangles... kinda make sense? One extra seam, bit more roomier inside... 2 yards of bug net material basically cut in shaped halves that follow the curve of the hammock and the straight seam of the tarp roof.

Another idea is basically make as light a bridge hammock as humanely possible, and build that into what amounts to a modernized version of the Army Jungle Hammock, box bug net and a shaped tarp roof with extra seams but that might not work out to be a light shelter anyhow...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My very first hammock in 1970(ish) was the military issued hammock. My father had purchased it overseas somewhere while in the Navy. I found it in the attic and he helped me set it up.

The netting and tarp floated on two spreader bars. These were diy'd to make the most of the small tarp. The spreaders kept the tarp taught as the hammock got weighted with your body. The tarp wasn't guyed out. The peak of the tarp was suspended on some elastic cordage as well..but no real ridgeline, like we know it today. The attached netting prevented the tarp from leaning in the wind. The tarp did sway some in the wind, so expect that.

The most important design flaw with an attached tarp is when it is raining. The tarp and hammock will pack together and hence the hammock gets wet. While deployed, the hammock stayed dry.

Can it be done with the new lightweight options? I believe it can.
    Seam seal where the netting seams meet the tarp. Use lightweight spreader bars. Use shockcord at the ridge.

This isn't far off, as HNO and Jaxx and Grapenut have still been using an almost similar design in their tarp and hammock suspensions. They use a short connect point so the hammock is removable.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Have you looked here?
    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

It's reasonably priced, bigger than most and not super heavy. Definitely not ultralight, but halfway reasonable for a double layer. I'm sure you can lighten it up by swapping out some suspension elements.

My biggest issue with typical jungle style hammocks is that with the tarp and net sewn together you have to get the hang just right, lest you tear off the bugnet.
    Last edited by Billy Goat; 03-28-2016 at 11:05.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    My very first hammock in 1970(ish) was the military issued hammock. My father had purchased it overseas somewhere while in the Navy. I found it in the attic and he helped me set it up.

The netting and tarp floated on two spreader bars. These were diy'd to make the most of the small tarp. The spreaders kept the tarp taught as the hammock got weighted with your body. The tarp wasn't guyed out. The peak of the tarp was suspended on some elastic cordage as well..but no real ridgeline, like we know it today. The attached netting prevented the tarp from leaning in the wind. The tarp did sway some in the wind, so expect that.

The most important design flaw with an attached tarp is when it is raining. The tarp and hammock will pack together and hence the hammock gets wet. While deployed, the hammock stayed dry.

Can it be done with the new lightweight options? I believe it can.
    Seam seal where the netting seams meet the tarp. Use lightweight spreader bars. Use shockcord at the ridge.

This isn't far off, as HNO and Jaxx and Grapenut have still been using an almost similar design in their tarp and hammock suspensions. They use a short connect point so the hammock is removable.
    I'm think along almost the same lines here; removable hammock, but maybe with a twist here, instead of attaching the netting to the hammock itself, I attach it to the UQP panel and end caps.... in essence, a sort of weather sock that has a lot of venting... this way, I can have a taut tarp and not worry about the hammock pulling the bug net apart like the first time I tried....

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Have you looked here?
    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

It's reasonably priced, bigger than most and not super heavy. Definitely not ultralight, but halfway reasonable for a double layer. I'm sure you can lighten it up by swapping out some suspension elements.

My biggest issue with typical jungle style hammocks is that with the tarp and net sewn together you have to get the hang just right, lest you tear off the bugnet.
    Yes, the thing with these is that they are actually pretty common.... (built in bugnet but separate tarp) I did say I'd like to go a different direction, see if it could work the way I want it to work... I do understand the point on the tarp and net potential issue, but it is the same with bugnet integrated hammock, have to get it just right every time or risk tearing the bugnet apart if hung too tight (a SRL here is important anyhow)

• + New Posts