WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Mine EASILY keeps me warm to 29. The somewhat high number is in part due to my still using a 20+ year old 30degree (new, that was being generous) sleeping bag as an overquilt. I am more than thrilled with my Patomic & recomend it highly.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I agree that it is the best combination. I did a lot of searching too. It works out perfect for me.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

How does it work for a non-HH user? The web site says "I am currently working on a design that will allow full use of the cold mode with Speer or other non-ridgeline hammocks. Check back soon for pictures and results." Not sure what that means...

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've been using one of Patrick's on my homemade Speer-type for a while now and it works great.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Doctari uses his on his Skeeter Beater (cheap top loader) and likes it. See earlier post for his exact words.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Doctari uses his on his Skeeter Beater (cheap top loader) and likes it. See earlier post for his exact words.
    Yea, it works well. As it's made for a asym hammock, it is 'Lopsided" but it works so I do;nt worry about it. The patomic is (just like the HH) for ment ot be layed in L to R, I am not comfortable laying that direction, I lay R to L, I stay warm as posted above.

It IS heavier than HE's down underquilt & the no sniveller, but the price is right & at Traildays ABOUT 1/4 of it got SOAKED, (I think from capillary action from touching my tarp) on Thursday night, yet I stayed warm once I wrung it & my sleeping bag out.

Be sure to read & follow the directions, AND: PRACTICE AT HOME before your first trip. I didn't before my first trip, nearly froze, & adjusting an unfamiliar piece of gear, at night, with no light, is nearly impossible. I managed, but please: Learn from my mistake. I can now adjust everything in total darkness, but thats cause I learned from MY mistake & practiced practiced practiced once I got home
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    For me it would end up being less weight than a JRB quilt with a JRB weather shield. I ordered a small and it weighs 24oz. The JRB quilt is 20oz. and the weather shield is 9.2 oz. So it is slightly more weight at 29.2 oz.

I feel the weather shield is necessary for the JRB because I have a small fly. However, I don't think the weather shield is necessary for the Potomac.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    For me it would end up being less weight than a JRB quilt with a JRB weather shield. I ordered a small and it weighs 24oz. The JRB quilt is 20oz. and the weather shield is 9.2 oz. So it is slightly more weight at 29.2 oz.

I feel the weather shield is necessary for the JRB because I have a small fly. However, I don't think the weather shield is necessary for the Potomac.
    Hacktorious,

Your logic escapes me here....Why do you feel a WS is need for one UQ and not another UQ, which is the same size, given that they would both be used under the same small tarp.... Rain risk is the same to both UQ with a given tarp.

Best form of increased protection is to spend 2-7 oz for a larger tarp regardless of UQ....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hacktorious,

Your logic escapes me here....Why do you feel a WS is need for one UQ and not another UQ, which is the same size, given that they would both be used under the same small tarp.... Rain risk is the same to both UQ with a given tarp.

Best form of increased protection is to spend 2-7 oz for a larger tarp regardless of UQ....

Pan
    One quilt is synthetic and the other is down. Down doesn't work very well it gets wet. The synthetic stuff seems to keep me just as warm wet, or dry.

The chances of the quilt getting soaked are very slim anyways, even under my small fly, but I don't want to risk it with down. I feel much more comfortable taking a risk with synthetic, than with down.

I don't think a larger fly is necessary. I have been completely satisfied with my standard HH fly.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    One quilt is synthetic and the other is down. Down doesn't work very well it gets wet. The synthetic stuff seems to keep me just as warm wet, or dry.

The chances of the quilt getting soaked are very slim anyways, even under my small fly, but I don't want to risk it with down. I feel much more comfortable taking a risk with synthetic, than with down.

I don't think a larger fly is necessary. I have been completely satisfied with my standard HH fly.
    Hacktorious,

I understand your issue but still don't buy the argument for the WS in your comparision.... The DWR finish of both the synthetic and down UQ will keep light drizzle, splash, etc at bay on either model....

Staying dry regardless of insulation is important in every case.... a wet synthetic that degrades ONLY 15-30 percent when wet, when you are at the design limits, say 30 degrees will still be a less than fun night... it will actually be sleepless in all likelyhood, if that degraded.... It is fine to think of synthetic as better when wet.... But it is best to not get either wet and planning to take risks on weather protection is not smart.... Bottom line is they both should have an adequate tarp for protection.... And if you want to compare the two for weight do so on the basis of the quilts alone, the WS is not required and adequate additional tarpage which is a far better way to reduce any wet risks, is available for as little as two additional oz over a stock fly.

As an extra note.... I bet that almost everyone who has experianced a wet sleeping bag (of any type) has experianced it in a tent that was either poorly sited or had a leaky top that resulted in a bathub bottom filling and the bag soaking , wicking from the low spot (normally the foot end, as the head is sited uphill by most)..... These are not normal risks in a hammock....

Normal risks in a hammock begin with inadequate to marginal tarps . These risks are exaccerbated by poor site selection where side wind become a factor.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast