Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
Hacktorious,

I understand your issue but still don't buy the argument for the WS in your comparision.... The DWR finish of both the synthetic and down UQ will keep light drizzle, splash, etc at bay on either model....

Staying dry regardless of insulation is important in every case.... a wet synthetic that degrades ONLY 15-30 percent when wet, when you are at the design limits, say 30 degrees will still be a less than fun night... it will actually be sleepless in all likelyhood, if that degraded.... It is fine to think of synthetic as better when wet.... But it is best to not get either wet and planning to take risks on weather protection is not smart.... Bottom line is they both should have an adequate tarp for protection.... And if you want to compare the two for weight do so on the basis of the quilts alone, the WS is not required and adequate additional tarpage which is a far better way to reduce any wet risks, is available for as little as two additional oz over a stock fly.

As an extra note.... I bet that almost everyone who has experianced a wet sleeping bag (of any type) has experianced it in a tent that was either poorly sited or had a leaky top that resulted in a bathub bottom filling and the bag soaking , wicking from the low spot (normally the foot end, as the head is sited uphill by most)..... These are not normal risks in a hammock....

Normal risks in a hammock begin with inadequate to marginal tarps . These risks are exaccerbated by poor site selection where side wind become a factor.

Pan
Your probably correct. I have not heard many stories of people getting soaked in a hammock. Now that I think of it, I cannot recall any.....lol I do feel pretty confident in the new HH rain fly's, which are now 30% larger than they used to be.

So far I have not had any issues in the rain. Take a look at my tarp and see what you think. It has pretty good coverage. Unless the rain is coming from underneath the hammock, I think I am safe.

Your correct in saying site location is a major factor.